Red Privilege

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Dierking, Jun 18, 2014.

1. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

lol I love how they never had a problem saying it until they were told that they should have a problem saying it. I wonder if they will still take their payday for the game and profit off of Native Americans being called this offensive slur

Barcs likes this.
  2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

good point. I think they should donate 1/32 of the cause. maybe 1/16 since the Chiefs are obviously offensive too.

or they can just stick to the nba thread

#282 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  3. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

This country is so sensitive :'(

4. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Gotta love Ditka. Finally someone with some balls speaks the truth.

Mike Ditka on Redskins controversy: 'It’s all the political correct idiots in America'

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/08/mike-ditka-redskins-nickname

[​IMG]

Former Bears coach and ESPN analyst Mike Ditka has weighed in on the Washington Redskins nickname controversy, saying he finds it “so stupid it’s appalling.”

In an interview with RedskinsHistorian.com, Ditka made it clear he had no plans to refrain from using the team nickname during the season, as some NFL announcers have said they are considering.

From the interview:

“What’s all the stink over the Redskin name? It’s so much [expletive] it’s incredible. We’re going to let the liberals of the world run this world. It was said out of reverence, out of pride to the American Indian. Even though it was called a Redskin, what are you going to call them, a Brownskin? This is so stupid it’s appalling, and I hope that owner keeps fighting for it and never changes it, because the Redskins are part of an American football history, and it should never be anything but the Washington Redskins. That’s the way it is.”

Later on in the interview, Ditka identified what he saw causing the controversy:

“It’s all the political correct idiots in America, that’s all it is. It’s got nothing to do with anything else. We’re going to change something because we can. Hey listen, I went through it in the 60s, too. I mean, come on. Everybody lined up, did this. It’s fine to protest. That’s your right, if you don’t like it, protest. You have a right to do that, but to change the name, that’s ridiculous. Change the Constitution — we’ve got people trying to do that, too, and they’re doing a pretty good job.”

As for how he views Dan Snyder’s fight to keep the team’s name what it is? “I admire him for it,” Ditka said.

_​

74 and NotSatoshiNakamoto like this.
  6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Also, Boomer Esiason this am on Boomer and Carton said he's going to call them by their official name--the Redskins. He said until they change their team name, that's what he's going to call them, that's what CBS and ESPN are going to call them, that's what the teams sponsors are going to call them and that's good enough for him.

He did chuckle at Simms' stance, although he didn't hammer him too hard because they are friend, but good for him too. Carton quoted some poll of Native Americans that are widely supportive of the name but he didn't say what poll he was referencing.

I think the tide is turning. I think Snyder has weathered the worst of this and he is never budging and will soon feel emboldened.

The 7 people that are really offended by this will lose interest, take up another cause (like the money grab that are seatbelts :rolleyes:) and will move on.

Hail Redskins!

_

7. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

The tide won't really turn, because there's a core lobby of busybody activists who go around from cause to cause trying to right perceived wrongs. The weirdest argument these people have is "Would you go up to a native American and call him a Redskin". No, dumbshits, we wouldn't - and that's the point. It's an old name that's based on a hundred different historical things, most of them neutral or good. Gotta keep saying this but natives weren't really offended at all by the team name until a bunch of white people started going around telling them they should be offended

8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

BeastBeach likes this.
  9. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Yep, Greg Gumbel came out and said the same thing. Just didn't need to call attention to himself and his personal decision. Good to see some people still get it