Reasons to trade down...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hazmat, Feb 21, 2006.

1. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

I dont think that DROb is the reason to trade down but I do think that they should move back in the draft just because they need more players.
    I dont like Ferg or Cutler at #4 but would be happy with Deangelo, Cutler or McNeil at 7-15 draft spots.
    We could get that plus another 1st day pick for the #4 (hopefully)if they wait until draft day to trade.

2. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Okay and if there was qb available in the top 5 that I felt was worth drafting then I'd be all for it. Leinart has a weak arm like Chad and has injury issues in the past. Vince Young is not going to be a good nfl qb, end of story. Any QB that runs the ball better then he throws it will not suceed in the nfl. Cutler is the closest thing to a prototype QB. With that being said he's the hardest of those three to judge because he had such a bad team around him. Watching him in the senior bowl I was not impressed but thats not a large enough sample size to form an opinion. I would not be against taking Cutler as long as it was later in the top 10.

3. NY Vilmaniac

NY Vilmaniac New Member

all of those teams had better QBs they expected to start while warming up the rookies to their team. If the jets drafted cutler the sad part is he would probably be the best qb on their roster coming out of the gate if they dont sign anyone.

i tihnk time has proven that QB drafting is unpredictable, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Tom Brady, Brett Favre.

O Lineman tend to be the safer route. I dont tihnk the jets can afford to gamble on Cutler.

4. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

The biggest reason to trade down is to try and amass as many picks as possible. We got more holes than swiss cheese, and we need to start pluggin them.

Ellis

5. NY Vilmaniac

NY Vilmaniac New Member

key word in there, POTENTIAL.

Why not sign someone we know can play in the NFL. Aaron Brooks, Drew Brees, or someone with even more potential, Phil Rivers

and dont say salary cap is the reason b/c Cutler is going to want ALOT more money than he deserves because some team decided to take him 4th overall instead of 15-25 where he belongs

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

7. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I just hope Cutler keep getting pumped up and up before the draft and then Miami becomes desperate to get him and they give up the farm for him. Or some other team, doesn't have to be Miami.

8. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Could you imagine Aaron Brooks in NY. He would have a few great games as usual and then start fumbling the ball and throwing picks at odd times. For this year we need to sign a veteran to compete with bollinger and draft a qb mid rounds for the future.

9. NY Vilmaniac

NY Vilmaniac New Member

you do realize he took THE SAINTS to the playoffs, is there an aaron brooks in the CFL that sucks that i dont know about?

there must be because the brooks in the nfl is going to have a starting job in the nfl next season

10. hazmat

hazmat New Member

This is what I'm hoping for as well. Doesn't have to be Miami as I would imagine that the Jets would not want to trade the pick that would be Cutler to the dolphins. The Raiders seem like they would get a hard on for a player and trade more then needed to get him.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Yeah that would be hilarious if our biggest rival gets a potential franchise Qb that we passed on. Not like that has ever happened before..

12. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Bollinger might as well be our starter next year. I don't see any point in keeping chad, drafting a qb high, or signing some big name vet a la drew brees to a lucrative contract.

Seriously guys, where is the money going to come from to sign a top 10 qb from the draft?

13. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Ha... can you say "Dan Marino"?

Funny stuff.

14. JetLag

JetLag New Member

If we were in rebuilding mode with the #10 pick, #35 pick, and #40 pick, I wouldn't trade #40 to move up from #10 to #4.

#4 guarantees nothing other than a higher SB.

15. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Bingo...right on the money. The more first day picks we have the better. One player is not going to fix this problem. We need to build up the offensive line and the defensive front 7 while developing a qb that doesn't put us in salary cap hell.

16. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Our cap hell isn't going to be good at all to try to manage a $12 mil cap hit on Chad, try to sign a QB with the 4th pick overall, as well as sign another QB as insurance, along with the fact that we have so many holes on this team we desprately need to trade down, we can get a QB next year, especially since we will probably be bad enough to be in position for one anyway

17. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

That's only because the FO may be planning to cut everyone who makes more then minimum wage :)

18. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

I'm almost all for that plan MDB

19. hazmat

hazmat New Member

They should cut most of the vets. They won't be here by the time this team is good again. A large part of the offense will be gone in the next two offseasons: Pennington, Fiedler, Martin, Sowell, Kendall, Mawea, Fabini, obviously chrebet is retiring. Baker is no sure thing to return. I wouldn't be surpised if J-mac was forced to restructure or be cut as well.