Reasons to trade down...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hazmat, Feb 21, 2006.

1. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I've come to the conclusion that the 4th pick is not a great value to the Jets. For another team that doesn't have as many needs as the Jets it might be the right spot. Also considering our salary cap situation which isn't as bad as everyone makes it we don't need to be investing this much money on one player.

What I'm trying to say is that there is no one player in this draft who I think (besides Reggie Bush) is worth giving this much money too. A few years ago we traded 3 draft picks for Dewayne Robertson. We give him $10 million as a signing bonus and now his salary has gotten so large that the front office will have to consider restructuring his contract sooner rather then later. Not to mention that he has not played to the level someone taken 4th in the draft is expected to play. Considering his knee issues I doubt he will ever become a great DT.

I believe the best thing the Jets can do is trade down. In comparing picks to stocks, the more picks you have the less risk you have. If you put all of your eggs in one basket and that player winds up underachieving then you?ve hurt yourself even more.

If they can trade down a few spots and pick up an additional second round pick that would be the ideal situation. I expect that John Abraham will be tagged and traded for at most a 2nd and 4th round pick. Parcells and Belichek both seem to have a common theme of drafting front 7 defensive players in the first round. Therefore I expect the Jets FO to look at Mario Williams. I?m sure all of you are going to say I?m crazy but rebuilding this team will take more then one off-season and having a great front 7 on defense is how you build a consistent playoff team. This is a long process but investing in some over hyped QB is just not a gamble that needs to be taken at this time.

2. JetLag

JetLag New Member

Agree 100%. Would love to end up with 4 players in the top-50 (with the first of them still ~#10) in this draft, all at reasonable salaries.

3. parafly

parafly New Member

The #4 overall pick has alot more value than you are suggesting. With this pick, we can pick up a franchise QB or any other impact position. Why should we give away such a high draft pick to pick up an extra second round pick?

This team has alot of holes, and having one extra draft pick will not really make that much of a difference. We might as well draft a potential star player if we have the opportunity to do so.

4. JetLag

JetLag New Member

#10 is too low to find a star player & picking #4 guarantees that we'll get one? This draft has 50 guys who would've carried first-round grades just last year.

5. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Having one extra pick in the first 50 picks is huge. We could possible get another starter for the next 5-10 years. And who is this franchise qb you are suggesting? I don't see Young, Cutler or Leinart as sure things.

6. parafly

parafly New Member

No, there are no guarantees with the draft obviously. But the #4 pick is certainly better than the #10 especially with a draft class including bush and 3 potential franchise QB's.

7. parafly

parafly New Member

Having an extra second round pick is not going to save this team. Drafting in the top 5 is an opportunity we can't waste.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

and ONE reason for not trading down.. The franchise Qb we desperately need will not be there if we trade down...

9. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

You're never going to get a sure thing in the draft, but all three of those guys have a good shot to be quality NFL QBs. If we can get one of them, we should take 'em.

10. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Again who is the franchise qb we desperately need? And why do you think he's going to be great?

11. Attackett

There are three Qbs who all have the potential to be great Qbs in this league for a long time. You don't pass up the opportunity to get one of them when you get the chance..

12. LWC611

LWC611 Member

A QB at the 4th pick is not going to help us given the rest of the probable state of the offensive line. Trading down can't hurt if we get value. If we are going to stay at 4 we need OL help. I would take croyle from Alabama in the third round if he is still on the board. I think this kid can be real good and will come cheap.

13. NY Vilmaniac

NY Vilmaniac New Member

a franchise QB is someone you can start right out of college and expect to bne successfull

Cutler is GOING to have to sit out AT LEAST half a season if he wants to be somewhat successful.

there are 2 franchise qbs in this draft and cutler isnt one of them.

since i dont scout for the jets, i dontpretend to know what they think or see in cutler but if they see something that they think is worht the 4 overall, than he muist be worht it.

But i tihnk the jets are in prime position to use the cutler hype to trade down and get a bunch of top 50's (as stated above)

14. hazmat

hazmat New Member

The key word is potential. The Jets cannot afford to give a qb 20 million up front when he's never taken a snap in the nfl. If we take Leinart, Cutler or Young and they turn out to suck then 2 years from now we still have no qb and we are in salary cap hell. The ideal way to find a qb is to draft one mid rounds and/or sign a veteran in free agency.

15. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

I think we should stay put, pick the most talented players, regardless of position, available in the first 3 rounds, then spend the rest of the draft knocking off one area of need: offensive line. You can always find good O-linemen in later rounds (see Fabini in 4th round, Brandon Moore undrafted, Adrian Jones, 4th round). Get a bunch of tough road-graders that may not have the combine measurables, but will knock you on your ass. Then next year, commit to another area of need.

16. NY Vilmaniac

NY Vilmaniac New Member

than that would involve taking DBrick 4th overall

for skils at the position they play and readiness for the NFL, DBrickmight be the best

17. Attackett

So I guess by your brilliant logic that means Carson Palmer is not a franchise Qb, how bout Big Ben? How bout Peyton, is he a franchise Qb even though he won 3 games his first year??

#17 Attackett, Feb 21, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  18. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Dbrick in my opinion is not worth the 4th pick in the draft. He's not Orlando Pace, Walter Jones or Jonathon Ogden. He's not a road grader. He's a good plass blocker or lacks the mean streak to dominate as a run blocker. He should be a good nfl player but again I don't feel he's worth the money.

19. Attackett

You don't build a championship team by being afraid. Every player drafted is based on potential. You trust your scouting reports, trust your gut and have the balls to make the moves that need to be made. If you sit around waiting for a mid round Qb or a FA Qb your gonna be waiting along time to find your Qb that you are capable of winning with..

20. parafly

parafly New Member

We already have Brick on the roster. His name is Adrian Jones, and he proved he can play LT for us last season.

What is the most important position in football? 99% of people would say QB. If we cut Pennington, we would be stupid not to use our #4 on a potential franchise QB. Although that pick would not be a guarantee, it is certainly worth the risk and has a better shot at success than some 3rd or 4th round QB flying under the radar.