Reason Why We CAN'T Sign Free Agents

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Mar 13, 2018.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I'm fully aware of his being tagged twice but if he plays well and especially if he wins a super bowl, he will cash in again for alot more money.
    Will the Vikings be able to keep him and the key players due big money. Probably not.
    If he stinks it up, the current regime is gone. They we're on the verge of a super bowl, over paid the wrong guy, let the right guy go for less in FA and most likely will loose a key player or two next off season and you really can't just walk away from a fully guaranteed salary.
    They are getting their jobs that Cousins delivers a Lombardi trophy, anything less will be a failure.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Is that the case? I thought the penalty only applies to consecutive franchise tags.

3. TonyFtLaud

It would still be a 44% raise. Brees won arbitration in I believe 2013 on the matter.

4. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Just because Cousins may be the wrong guy doesn't mean Keenum or Bradford were the right guy. None of 'em are

They're in for a rocky road their in Minnesota betting the farm on Cousins.

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I know I would be looking at watch to end that meeting and go somewhere else.

6. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

That's why Mo just skipped the meetings.

Red Menace and TonyFtLaud like this.
  7. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Just want to address Bowles. He has his shortcomings, mostly game management and stubbornness with scheme, but players love him. His public persona is exactly that , a persona. He's highly respected around the league and by the players. I don't think he's the reason anyone wouldn't sign here.

LF911SC and FJF like this.
  8. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I'm all for a different face to the media. But his short comings lose games.

I have a feeling that we will have a competent team this year and seeing how Bowles manages those short comings will be a big clue into wether he sees 2019 as a HC here or a DC somewhere else

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

His persona is of a loser. His scheme and coaching is as old as dirt. Being a nice with persona is not a thing to put on your resume. It would be different if he was innovative and his teams were prepared every week. But he is isn't and the team looks lost every week.

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Hush you, we don't want to know that.

FJF likes this.
  11. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Even if you do pick the right players as a GM, this is only half the solution. The right players are players that are talented plus are good fits for the team. having a player with talent is not just good enough.

You also need a coaching staff that can develop the players.

Have the Jets been any good at developing talent?

Bad teams can get free agents when they have proven coaches like Parcells was.

Players are not that dumb, if they think a bad team has a future they will come.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Glad to see all the FA fanatics and Cousins worshippers understanding how the DRAFT is only light at the end of the tunnel

When you are drafted..you are just HAPPY to be in NFL

FA players can be a lot more choosy ..understanding what most of TGG knows : Mac and Bowles suck big time and run away..$ don't matter hahaha..Cousins was a VERY POOR fit and HE knew it..like people have posted FA are TURNED OFF by the poor management, no offensive minded coach etc..Mac and Bowles have to go..months ago I said they were BAD for business

ANSWER: the Jets should pretend that they are Michigan or Michigan State with half their starters lost thru graduation..so RECRUIT LIKE CRAZY..with the Jets? DRAFT LIKE CRAZY..Trade players and accumulate picks like Buff is doing now and learn from John Dorsey of the Browns ...BE PROACTIVE

FA should NOT be your ANSWER..as I have posted a million time this is a quick FIX ..drafting and building takes time.

Start this journey in April Mac..trade up and get your guy..don't wait for Buffalo to beat ya too it

boozer32 and CBG like this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

I have to disagree with you my friend.
    Mac can not and has not been able to find talent.
    Our Bowles led coaching staff has proven incapable of developing talent, in fact they have the ability to make the best of players regress.

Yet we are perennial Super Bowl contenders.... :p:p:p

As for players not being dumb? I don't know about that..... They do some very dumb shit.:cool:

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

How foolish is the bolded?

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

but we did sign free agents. Soooo now what?

FJF likes this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

Now we sign more FAs and get ready for the Draft.
    Start a fire Mac thread , followed by a fire Bowles thread.
    A new thread for every bullshit Hughes,Cimini and Mheta click bait story throughout camp.
    Overreact to preseason games.
    Then spend the next 17 weeks arguing about if it's better to have won a game because it only hurts our draft position.
    Rinse and repeat...:rolleyes:

FJF likes this.
  17. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Tony I am not suggesting Mac or Bowles are doing a great job.

Hopefully they will both improve in their positions. I guess you could argue even coaches and GMs go through development also.

As to players being dumb, they can be. But since football is their life I would think they are not as dumb in this subject.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

"One of the recurring themes we are hearing in this free agency was a bidding war between the Jets and the [name the team]...a lot of people are looking at the Jets who have a lot of money to spend and are choosing to go somewhere else...It's just interesting that you hear the Jets coming up short quite a bit in this free agent market"

-Trey Wingo ESPN

19. TonyFtLaud

I thought the emojis would give you a hint that I was joking....

20. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. Here's loved by his team. Loved by those he coached in the past. Gets tons of good pub on all the football shows by current and retired players.

TonyFtLaud likes this.