Ravens' D-coordinator wants head coaching job

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jcjet, Jan 5, 2009.

1. jcjet

jcjet Member

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/ravens-dcoordinator-wants-head-coaching-job-189465.html

"After seeing his unit dismantle the Miami Dolphins offense Sunday, Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan had a message for the Broncos and every other team in the market for a head coach:

Defense wins, and he knows how to coach it.

"The numbers say I've done a decent job," Ryan said. "If a team wants to stop somebody, all you have to do is look at my track record. If we don't get them stopped in the first year, it will probably be the first time we don't get them stopped in my career, going back through college, whatever. . . . I'll get my time, and whoever gets me will get a guy who is a real football coach and not a pretender."

The Broncos don't have Ryan among the first five candidates they will interview for their head coaching job, but Ryan said Sunday he wants to be a head coach and believes he will be one when the 2009 season begins.

The Broncos interviewed Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo on Saturday night in New York and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels on Sunday in Providence, R.I., even as Ryan's defense intercepted Miami quarterback Chad Pennington four times and forced five turnovers overall.

Ryan and Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier are expected to be in the next wave of interviews if the Broncos don't believe they have found their man among their first five meetings.

Veteran Ravens cornerback Samari Rolle said Denver or any team would get "a guy who is ready to do it right now."

"But you know, he's a better person than a coach," Rolle said of Ryan. "He cares about you and he keeps us under control. Defense, we're his guys. I mean, look at this locker room. There are some strong personalities on this defense to deal with, real strong personalities.

"But Rex handles it. He's got a strong personality, too. Nobody disrespects Rex, nobody. We all play for him. I used to wonder when I was in Tennessee how the Ravens did it year after year. Now I know. You come in, guys understand. Guys like Rex keep the tradition. He's overdue, he's earned a chance."

Ryan is expected to get interest from the Lions and Rams as soon as he is available for an interview. He cannot interview until the week after the conference championship games if the Ravens advance to the Super Bowl, or after the Ravens are knocked out of the playoffs.

He interviewed for the head coaching jobs in Atlanta, Miami and Baltimore last year. When John Harbaugh was hired as Ravens head coach, he retained Ryan, and the Ravens again were among the league's defensive leaders.

"I think every coach in the NFL, every college, everywhere would want to be," Ryan said of head coaching aspirations. "I hope I get the opportunity. It's not the end-all if I don't, but I would like the opportunity. And, again, if you want to stop somebody, I've got a track record."

Proven guy

Count Philadelphia Eagles general manager Tom Heckert as a Spagnuolo fan.

2. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Ryan is the best fit for the Jets personel. He needs to be our guy, IMO.

3. CapoStatus27

CapoStatus27 New Member

Hell yeah
    Rex Ryan '-09
    Nuff said

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I hope Woody has an interview set up with him the morning after the Ravens are out of the playoffs and makes him an offer that is too good to pass up.

Come here Rex!

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I like his attitude.

6. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

The more I hear about this guy the more I like him.

7. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

R.Ryan exudes the mentality this team needs to win.....not just on defense...but on all facets of the game.

Please Lord, Allah, Great Spirit, Tom Cruise....bring Rex to the Jets.

8. songster67

songster67 New Member

Him...in a NY minute

9. babyknight

babyknight Well-Known Member

He's my #1 choice of the candidates that seem to be available, for sure

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

No chance we hire this guy. Unless he is completely incapable of being a head coach. Or unless we handcuff him to the point where it doesn't matter.

11. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'm actually hearing that he's not exactly the brightest guy in the world, which could be why he didn't win a head coaching job last year.

12. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

can you find a source?

13. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

That's okay since a lot of people aren't the brightest guy in the world.

But what did they say about him?

14. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Just wondering why he didn't get the Raven's HC gig last year, but Harbaugh did. Interesting question that needs to be answered.

15. MeanGreens08

MeanGreens08 Member

He was all i thought about while watching that game yesterday. If our defense could play anywhere near how they played yesterday id be happier than a pig in shit.

I think it was Simms who claimed they ran a "unique" scheme in the 3-4. Not sure exactly what he meant by that so if someone on here knows a little more about what is unique about it i would love to know.

16. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

They bring back the DT (Ngata) into like a zone coverage allowing linebackers to blitz from different directions and confuse the offensive line. Something like that.

17. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

All I know is that it would be nice to have a coach with that attitude that the players felt that way about.

Sounds a lot like another coach we all wish we still had that's been tanning in Miami recently.

18. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

On WFAN Simms said it was unique because they set all their plays after seeing what the offense lines up with. However their packages are not static. They don't have a play that says "Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs will blitz from the strongside" they have plays that state that there will be 2 blitzers on the strongside, but who those players are is not determined until after seeing the offensive formation.

This isn't verbatim, just the best I can recall.

19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Took the words right out of my mouth, we need Ryan. I think he can see too that we have better pieces for him to work with than the other HC vacancies. I want to predict he will be out next HC, but I don't want to get my hopes up and then end up with somebody else.

20. Sanpetejets

Sanpetejets Member

Don't get your hopes up. This would make WAY too much sense.