Rating individual posts

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Remarker, May 8, 2012.

1. Remarker

Remarker Banned

Often I read comments I like or dislike (for whatever reason) that aren't remarks I'm interested in posting a comment to or about. However, they are comments that I would like to acknowledge in a positive or negative way.

Having seen a variety of ways to 'like or dislike' a comment on other sites I wonder if there is a 'vote up/vote down' option in this message board.

In the event that type of option is available in these boards and it is decided to give it a try, I think the best comment 'rating' technique is the simple 'arrow up' - 'arrow down' vote, as the arrows are generic and avoid the more specific 'favorite' or 'like/dislike' options.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

2. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Skip the trash and just post what you would like you have to much time to "rate" posts move on this board has been the same since I've been here last thing I need is up and down arrow distorting my view from the actual read

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I'm not a fan of rating posts but I do like the "like" and "dislike" bittons on other forums. Instead of posting "good post or I agree" we can save the post and just clik the "like" button.

4. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

If the post has too much negative feedback or thumb downs. It becomes hidden to save other from the stupidity

5. Remarker

Remarker Banned

I think an up or down count would add another dimension to individual comments similar to a poll, which isn't a distortion of a voluntary polling system. Aside from that, the reason I began thinking about a comment rating system was to have a way to express myself to dumb or smart comments without making a comment saying 'your comment is dumb' or 'I agree with your comment'. This example is an over simplification. Most often comments that I would vote up or down, rather than making a comment, are more subtle. Particularly comments I agree with. I want to support 'well said' comments without posting a 'well said' comment.

Just so you know, I understand that opinions like dumb or smart are in the eyes of the beholder. A high count on a dumb or smart comment could add a 'poll dimension' to the comments in a conversation. And that is WHY I think an up or down option would be fun. Also, it may help discourage the commenters that seem to be motivated to make unimportant, unnecessary, and antagonistic type comments if their comments recieved high counts on the down option.

Thanks for your interest, however if we had an up/down vote option, I would have voted your comment a 'down' and saved myself the time it took me to make a comment you will probably disagree with, however taking that time to respond to your comment helps me make the case.

6. Remarker

Remarker Banned

Haha, I feel your pain but leaving comments with high 'down' counts has its fun side and may help high 'down' count commenters make better comments.

7. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Why even have a thumbs down? Google style +1's. Encourage positive feedback and prevent some forums from turning into a war of positive vs negative ratings (especially in Tebowmania).

8. Remarker

Remarker Banned

Hahaha, if I were you, I wouldn't want a thumbs down either.