Ramsey background - FYI

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreenHornet, Feb 28, 2006.

1. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Just thought if anyone wanted to read about Ramsey, I found a montague of things he did around the time of his combine in 2002.

http://www.webskins.org/dr02/first.html

College Stats:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/profiles/ramsey_patrick.htm

Ramsey has a history with Coles:

"It all started at wide receiver. A $13M signing bonus (and some frugality by the Jets) saw the 'Skins prise star receiver Laveranues Coles away from the Meadowlands. Coles is coming off an 89 catch 1264 yard performance last season as Chad Pennington’s ‘go to’ guy. He has the speed, and as importantly, the agility and quickness to get behind defenders. He instantly became the Redskins’ #1 receiver, and is a guy that teams will have to look out for and respect on every play. In limited action in the preseason, a promising relationship looked to be developing with Coles and QP Patrick Ramsey. How does a whopping 29.5 yard average sound on 7 catches for 177 yards with a touchdown? $13M might well be a bargain yet." taken from http://www.thehogs.net/content/story.php?id=98

2. DrShrinker

DrShrinker New Member

I live in DC. I have seen almost every Ramsey start in the NFL. Here is my synopsis. First of all, Ramsey only has aprox 23 NFL starts. Hard to believe but true. (1.5 seasons) Last season he started only one game. He suffered greatly under Spurrier in an offense which had tailbacks blocking the likes of Simeon Rice. He is a bright guy. He was an honor roll student at Tulane. He has a rocket arm. S.Moss commented when he arrived in DC at how surprised he was by Ramsey's arm strength. He can put a ball on a rope 30 yards downfield. He is very tough, willing to take shots and bounce back. I've seen him take a severe beating and continue to battle. This sometimes hurts him however as he holds the ball too long and takes sacks. His accuracy is very inconsistent. At times lazer like and at other times way off. He often seems to lack touch on his passes. I question his ability to read defenses as he sometimes makes critical errors by throwing into coverage. This may be due to lack of experience. He has been a stand up citizen showing very good character both on and off the field. Gibbs openly praised him last year for being a team guy. I believe the jury is still out on Ramsey as he has never started an entire NFL season.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/28/AR2006022801402.html

#2 DrShrinker, Feb 28, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  3. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

I also live in the DC area and I think Ramsey is OK. He was completely screwed up by 2 years under Spurrier. He was yanked in and out of the lineup and was not given an opportunity to develop. Under Gibbs, he was never given a real shot to be the starter. Gibbs brought in Brunell, with whom he had a personal relationship (they are both devout evangelical Christians.....no negative slant to that specifically.....just stating that their relationship may have affected the decision process). Ramsey is pretty tough and could be a winner if he is given a stable environment to grow in. With that said, I don't know if this situation is the right fit for him, but if he comes cheap, he could be a diamond in the rough.

DbJ

4. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Agreed. I am in MD and I have watched some SKins games bhy no choice of my own....usaully to route against them when I have to watch. Dr Shrinker could not be more correct. He suffered by playing in Spurriers fun and gun where he never go protection and was taking the snap with 3 guys in the backfield. By the time Gibbs rolled around, he was shell shocked and tentative in the pocket, always looking for the rush. Spurrier liked to send 5 guys into routes, leaving only the offensive line to protect. So when anyone sent pressure, they usually got there. I think with a GREAT line (which we don't have) a great running game (which we don't have yet) he could be a solid player. John Clayton said this morning he thinks Ramsey will be a Jet and can be had for a 6th round pick. The Skins have to get rid of him cause they have a cap problem like us. So if we can get him for a 6th round pick, we have to do it. Hell,we gave up a 6th or 7th for pete Hunter last year just to come have dinner at the complex. A 6th for a former first rounder with potential we must do.

5. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

LOL I doubt this would ever happen, but I would love it if a 6th rounder equals ramsey. of course its all speculation, but i'm hoping this one comes to pass.

6. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Ugh....

Please no Ramsey. I really don't want that guy here.

7. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I'd take Ramsey with a 4th rounder instead of wasting a higher pick on a question mark.

8. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

You have to give a guy a chance who has really never got one, a new environment is probably what he needs.

9. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

i probably would too, but if we can get him for a 6th??? definatly do it