Raiders cut Bruce Irvin... sign this beast

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BroadwayAaron, Nov 3, 2018.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is some real dramatic stuff man. What happened?

So if we can add a receiver, a top tier pass rusher, draft OL and some more help up front on D... we can’t be playoff bound? Just for shits:

Demarcus Lawrence or Jadeveon Clowney
    Golden Tate
    Bruce Irvin
    Draft a top LT

added to our current team with a year of experience under Darnold’s belt, same with Herndon... that team can make a run for the playoffs without question.

Mogriffjr, stinkyB, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Man, you must have drank a gallon of what the FO brewed up. If we could have done ANY of those things you've mentioned over the last 5 years, we wouldn't be in the fix we're in now. Draft OL? Really now... We BUY cheap OL guys, not draft premium talent early. If anything, I can see Macc spending huge cash on yet another DE. BPA-D is more likely than BPA-OL. Just the way we operate.

What you're hoping for is something that might have happened last with Mangold and Brick. I salute you for dreaming the impossible dream though. :)

I wouldn't expect much in 2019 if I were you..2020 at the soonest and 2021 most likely.

3. BroadwayAaron

You’re just straight up darkside now. Clouded by pure evil.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I guess I haven't been tortured long enough by this team to lose as much hope as you and the others who saw Super Bowl III. I'm a bit skeptical too, but have some cautious optimism mixed in. The biggest holes, IMO, are edge rusher, OL, and skill position talent on offense. Most of them can be fixed next offseason.

5. Cman68

Evil? So very dramatic.. I believe my lying eyes before I believe the Jet FO and PR department. I called 5-11 this year and so far, I might be 1 game off so I can even see 6-10. We should beat Buffalo twice.

2019? The rebuild continues and with any luck, by the end of the season there will be a serviceable OLine in place and Darnold hasn't had anything broken or torn yet. Wr's? By committee most likely. Edge rusher? Better chance of that than a Wr that scares anyone. RB? who knows...

2020? The rebuild continues. By then, there should be an Oline in place that is more than serviceable. There should also be a bonifide edge rusher on the roster. Maybe even legitimate big play threats on the offense.

2021? Now we take the Jets seriously..

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

You know I’m bookmarking this right?

Cman68 likes this.
  7. Cman68

Knock yourself out... I'm not going anywhere... :)

CotcheryFan likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

add bell to that list

9. BroadwayAaron

In all honesty, I understand the skepticism. We are conditioned to think that nothing will go right. I feel like this is different though. We usually have absolutely no foundation and we rely on free agency to build the foundation. We are finally doing it the right way. We have the quarterback in place and some exciting young pieces on defense. Regardless of what we think, we are an attractive team considering the checkbook and having the most important position on the field covered.

10. BroadwayAaron

Eh I left him off because to some people signing Bell would be a disaster of biblical proportions.

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

All four of those FAs are likely to have offers from much better teams than the Jets, so I'd say getting 0 or 1 of them is a lot more likely than getting 3. And of course getting them doesn't guarantee anything anyway, since if they didn't have question marks about them they wouldn't be becoming free agents.

I have no idea what the LT situation will be in the draft, but while it's true for mutual funds that past performance is no guarantee of future results, for general managers it's usually not a bad way to bet. For the Jets that suggests not expecting a top offensive lineman in the draft any time soon.

Every other team on the outside is also looking to make moves to get them playoff bound, and other teams have less of a road to travel. I'm all for being hopeful, but I also think that a lack of evidence of something happening in the past and present is not generally a good argument that it will happen in the future. I will definitely wait until I see Macc (or his replacement) actually sign/draft people before I think about 10 win seasons (which is what I mean by a playoff run - not having 6 wins at the beginning of December and needing to win out to be in it, which is better than the alternative but not likely to be a genuine playoff run).

Cman68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While I agree that Bowles should be gone regardless of record, do you really think the Johnsons think that way? If the team improved to 8-8, then Bowles could say that the team made progress, and I don't think the Johnsons would fire him. At 6-10, he could say the team was a little better, but it really wouldn't have made any progress. They still might not fire him, but at least they might.

To answer your question, Copeland has 3 sacks. I don't know how many sacks others may have.

LAJet likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I get that, and if I didn't want Bowles and Mac gone, I'd be in favor of signing him, precisely because we could negotiate with him and possibly keep him as a situational pass rusher.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Bruce Irvin?

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree completely. If there is a weaker link than Bowles is the worthless ownership.

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

TJ wasn't all world before we signed him. He was slightly above average.
    He's ready to play but Bowles is holding him out to make sure he's ready for the playoffs..... :rolleyes:
    Mo's cap hit is $9 million this season.
    Decker's getting $1.5 mill
    Pryor Is still getting a little over $4 million
    And Forte $1 Million.
    I'd like to see what Mac can do with just over $100 million dollars in cap space, as long it's NEs , Miami's or Buffalo's money;)

Cman68 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Most of them can be fixed next offseason (2019?) Seriously? If you really believe that, then you're much more of an optimist than I am.

To begin with, even with all the cap space we will have, there won't be topnotch players available in FA at every position of need or that will sign with the Jets. And with no 2nd round pick, the Jets would have to hit on their 1st, both 3rds, their 4th and 5th round picks as well as sign 3-5 topnotch FAs to "fix" every hole. IMO that's just not realistic.

I believe that some of the positions of need can be fixed and some other positions upgraded, and the overall talent of the team upgraded, but fixed? No. I guess I'm more in line with Cman. I think we'll sign some edge rusher who will be an upgrade over the "edge rushers" we presently have on the roster, but I have my doubts that we'll get a topnotch edge rusher. As far as LT, OG or C. there are really no great options at any of those positions that will be available in FA. With the exception of Bell at RB, the same is pretty much true for the RB, TE and WR positions. Maybe there'll be a good CB or DL available. I haven't checked to see who will be available there.

FA at best will probably only be able to add a topnotch edge rusher and maybe Bell, at worst, it will just be an upgrade of depth. Thus, the draft will have to supply answers for all our needs (LT, Edge Rusher, LG, WR, RB & TE to fix each of those positions.

18. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Good players don't get cut midseason.

To me that's a red flag.

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Upgrading the OL will make or RB's better. I'd like a number 1 WR, but getting one next offseason is unlikely. I'd go for Tyrell Williams to give us more depth at the position. The emergence of Herndon makes TE less of a need IMO. I believe the 2020 draft is supposed to be loaded with RB's. I can wait til then to get a game changer if our OL is improved for a solid group of RB's next year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. The next 2 drafts are loaded w offense.OL appears plentiful in both classes as does WR.To your point 2020 RBs look better than 2019.

The one thing i do disagree on is TE.Herndon has shown alot of promise but is far from a sure thing esp w his injury history. I also think he could project as an H-back moving forward if Bates chooses to go in that direction w the WCO.That role had alot of success here w Richie Anderson.

Id take a look at Noah Fant if OL/WR/Edge are off the table.Hes the best TE prospect since OJ Howard & is the closest thing to Shannon Sharpe ive seen.A tight end w his route tree & ability to get to a spot is special.Hes also a legit threat over the top including lined up at the X. Hed be a really fantastic fit w Darnold w timing routes underneath,mismatches over the top & boxing defenders out when plays break down when Sam improvises outside of pocket.

If you ran trips to one side of field w Herndon/Fant/Enunwa what the heck is a DC gonna do to match up?

NCJetsfan likes this.