Raiders cut Bruce Irvin... sign this beast

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BroadwayAaron, Nov 3, 2018.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Bruce Irvin was cut by the Raiders today. I know he fell out of favor there and didn’t perform well but I can barely put any stock in anything that happens with the Raiders this year. He’s clearly got talent and has been productive in this league. If we claim him, that’s 4 million dollars this year and he’s got 0 dead money if we want to move on from him. To me, it’s an absolute no lose situation.

2. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

In theory I like this as an idea.

Putting this into practice makes less sense. He's never been great, just ok. He is a situational only edge rusher. Besides, his best days (which weren't stellar) are behind him I'd hate to deny a prospect like Luvu or someone else opportunities at play time to be able to play Irvin.

Like the Rams, if we were in a situation where we needed a piece to put us over the top he would be a great addition. We need someone to fill a full time role however.

Harpua likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

8 sacks a year ago, 7 the year before that. He can still produce. Who cares if it’s situational? He can only help. I like Luvu too but he’ll have his time. I just don’t see a legit football reason not to kick the tires.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Interesting that no one would trade for him. Not even a 7th round pick. So I guess most of the league does not value him for that price. I'm with @BroadwaySam on this one though: Claim The Beast! Could help the defense the rest of the season. $9 million cap hit next year seems highly unlikely, but if he plays well they could negotiate something for 2019.

5. BroadwayAaron

Who knows what the Raiders were actually asking for. You’d assume if they were gonna cut a guy they’d take any old 7th. But... the Raiders.

6. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

If we win tomorrow then I see us signing him. Would be foolish not to. At 4-5 and the Bills next we would have a season and something to play for. And Irvin fits a need

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He can probably help us get another win or two, but is that really worth losing draft position? 8-8 is really no better than 6-10, and again that could be enough to not only enable Bowles and Mac to keep their jobs, but also to move the Jets just low enough where they would miss out on an elite LT or edge rusher. At this point I wouldn't sign him.

egelband likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree that it would be foolish not to. That all depends upon whether Mac thinks his job is in jeopardy and is just trying to win another game or two, or is content to ride out the season and hope that he's in position to get an elite LT or edge rusher in the draft. I can't imagine for a moment that he thinks we can be a playoff team, but if he thinks they can or just wants to win another game or two to make sure that his job isn't in jeopardy, then yes, he'd be foolish not to sign him. If he's content to ride out the season and hopes that he will be in position to get an elite LT or edge rusher, then he'd be foolish to sign him.

egelband likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

For me half the draw is that you can start negotiating his next contract if you pick him up now. You could sign a situational pass rusher for the next few years. Obviously this is assuming any contract we negotiated would be a fair one.

FJF likes this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Sign him now!
    He was barely used this season, Raiders switched to 4-3 D and Gruden couldn't find a place for him.

Correction, he can't officially be waived until Monday, we should definitely put in a claim for him.

#10 TonyFtLaud, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Mogriffjr likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

Now I know it’s a GM’s job to instill confidence and everyone that covers and roots for the team, but Macc wasn’t necessarily wrong when he said we could really springboard things with a good free agency. Why would you not want to lock up someone before it even begins? For the next three years as a situational pass rusher in a good defense I could easily see Irvin being an asset. Especially if you can bring in a guy like a Lawrence or Clowney, that’ll only make Irvin more valuable.

Long story short, with a good offseason we could be in playoff contention next year so signing a guy that only helps for the next three years is not a bad thing at all.

nycarl, FJF and TonyFtLaud like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Bruce this year from what I read has 3 sacks and was hardly used at all. Does anyone on the Jets D has much more than that? Situational or not we should make a move.
    Caveat: to NCs point. This season record, 6-10 or 8-8 or whatever should have no bearing on saying good by to Bowles. His team has consistently underachieved IMO.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I would be curious as to what makes you think a good offseason (transformative) is possible with Macc? Can you give just ONE example of any FA contract he's negotiated that hasn't bit us in the ass or DP's minus Darnold have been hit out of the park?

One this good about signing this guy is that it takes away the possibility of yet another high round DP going to the defense again... Hopefully...

14. BroadwayAaron

I don’t like answering a question with a question but what FA contracts have come back to bite us in the ass?

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I can't think of a single one. Macc has done a great job structuring contracts so that they don't cripple the cap in the future. Let's see what he does with Leo. He's the first guy he drafted who will get paid soon.

16. Cman68

$72mil to TJ comes to mind. He really wasn't all world before he got hurt. Is he finally gonna be on the field Sunday? Any timeline at all???. How much are we still paying Mo if any? Even if all of those big money contracts are off the books, that still doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies for 2019.

If you're good with Macc spending $100m and drafting this offseason? More power to you. Unless Macc gets lucky in the later rounds AND hits the FA lottery, a 2019 playoff run isn't in the cards. We'll be having similar conversations in 2020 and beyond.

#16 Cman68, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  17. BroadwayAaron

None of those contracts bit us in the ass at all. Teams overpay for just about every player when they hand out a multi-year deal. David Johnson is just about the only guy I can think of that’s on a deal that favors the team. I’m talking big name guys obviously.

Either way, there’s yet to be a single situation where we were hamstrung by a contract Macc handed out.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  18. Cman68

So then you're ok with Macc and the $100mil check book. That's fine. I'm not ok with it at all but its not my money. You think this team is playoff bound in 2019? Good luck with that.

2020 at the earliest IF then..Macc may or may not be around to see the end of the rebuild. As long as the Jets are competitive, Macc will have a job.

Time will tell..

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I gotta say, you've really earned the title of BEST Darksider Poster this year.

20. Cman68

Yeah... watching this team for so many years makes one very skeptical. Some people on here think $100m buys a quantum leap in the overall quality of the roster. That only happens with shrewd planning and a lot of luck. The Jets aren't known for either. The FO sold the fanbase on 2019 but the reality is closer to 2020-21.

NCJetsfan likes this.