R.I.P. Tobe Hooper

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Aug 27, 2017.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

http://www.tvguide.com/news/tobe-hooper-dead/

Damn. Marilyn Burns died a few years ago, too. 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' is actually a masterpiece of film-making. They had a screening up by me for the 40th anniversary of the film, original format. Totally awesome. I've probably seen this flick about 20 times, it never gets old; but seeing it the way it was meant to be seen really does it justice. They'll probably do 'TTCM' and 'TTCM 2' screenings soon enough because Hooper just died. If I get any news on that I'll post some links. Maybe it'll be in a theatre new you! Oh, and 'TTCM 2' is definitely not as bad as some people remember. Dennis Hopper fighting with Leatherface, how can you go wrong there?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'Salem's Lot' was also great fun. I mean, for a TV flick? C'mon now. James Mason, "Face the monsta!" 'James at 15', Lance Kerwin, "I'm going to KILL yooooooou." And who can forget the epic Andy Gibb type bulge in David Soul's pants? My Mom said, "Oh, dear God, please change the channel. How is that allowed on television?" HAHAHAHAHA.

[​IMG]

^Not David Soul. On purpose.

[​IMG]

'The Fun House'. Yep, saw it in the theatre when it came out. One of my best childhood friends, Mark and I, we lived for horror movies of all kinds. If we saw 500 together whether at the movies, on VHS, or on TV, I know I'm shooting low. R.I.P., Tobe. Another horror icon gone.

#1 jetophile, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Royal Tee likes this.
  2. jetophile

I'll probably get slammed for not mentioning 'Poltergeist' and not over the top loving it (it's OK, just a little too . . . Spielbergish), but Hooper did a good job with it. And then Spielberg claimed it was ALL him. Big, fat, lie. The maggot scene was the best part of the movie imo. Much to say on that flick, but it's a huge digression.

Anyway, Jeez you people are lame. Fun facts about 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre':

Filming often ran 16 hrs a day in 100 degree heat
    A lot of the movie wound up on the cutting room floor because Hooper was trying to get a PG rating
    Kids in the south would drop LSD and go in hordes to watch it at drive-ins
    The window that Marilyn Burns smashed through was made of hard rock sugar candy. She bruised her shoulder getting it to break, mildly sprained her ankle, and kept screaming and running. No stunt double involved - as if Hooper could've afforded one
    Marilyn Burns was bleeding for real when she got cut with a knife
    Burns only had one mainstream role, the made for TV 'Helter Skelter', playing Linda Kasabian. She continuously got turned down for roles because of her portrayal in 'TTCM'. She subsequently starred in low budget horror flicks, including one with cannibals. Talk about something that isn't irony. Well, it isn't irony. It's uncanny
    Steve Railsback played Charlie Manson in 'Helter Skelter' and also played Ed Gein. Six degrees of 'TTCM'
    Franklin getting done in in his wheelchair was inspiration for the 'Friday the 13th, Part 2' death scene where Mark gets axed in the head. Mark and I (see above) fckn shrieked - mostly because we were losing it that the guy was named Mark. He still leaves me messages that only has four words: Vicky is that you? Jason Voorhees also inspired by Leatherface
    The chainsaw was 100% real. Can't believe no-one got killed by accident
    Cast and crew would gag from the rotting animal entrails
    The original house was cut in pieces (haha), moved, and fully restored. It is now a . . . restaurant
    The film grossed over 40 million dollars. The actors got about $2,100 a piece
    Hooper's biggest influence and incentive for the film was George Romero's 'Night of the Living Dead'
    Gunner Hansen is kaput

You're welcome.
    [​IMG]

#2 jetophile, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

4. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I'm a horror junkie. Covered in horror tatts and married my wife on Halloween. Hooper is a big loss. Forgot he directed the Salem's Lot mini series. That scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. The argument could be made for TCM being the best horror movie of all time. Fun House was a blast too.

RIP

jetophile and Royal Tee like this.
  5. jetophile

Helllllllllllllllooooooooooo!