Quincy Enunwa Re-signed!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Dec 28, 2018.

1. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I hate Mac but this is a solid signing. I’ve long been a fan of Quincy’s talent and think he can be an excellent slot wr for years. Need to get a better outside wr opposite Robby. Hopefully in the draft. I also wouldn’t mind Funchess, think he fits well with Robby and Quincy as the red zone threat.

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Q would've made way more than what he got from us in FA. There isnt a doubt in my mind about it.

What he offers an offense, he would've got paid for sure. If he can stay healthy, he had a very bright future ahead.

The contract we gave him is extremely reasonable.

Some of y'all are fucking finicky.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

OK. You can be listed in the "Devil You Don't Know" column. Not only don't you know about him, you don't even know who he is. I'll stick with the devil we know.

4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

What exactly are they dismantling? Jets offense has been bottom 1/3 of the league for past three years.

Sanchez had a top 15 offense that was incredibly strong on the oline.

Signing a well liked, but injury prone player is a typical bad GM move. If he can’t stay on the field and be productive then it’s not a good move. Hopefully Mac can find another undrafted FA in next years draft that can stick with the team. That’s after he drafts oline help with the 5th and 6th round picks.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What does anything before this year matter? Sam clearly viewed Quincy as a safety blanket early in the season. He was getting tons of targets and catches. They had chemistry going, just like what he’s building with Robby right now. If you don’t think letting Edwards and Cotch go severely damaged Sanchez then you’re just in denial. Letting a rookie quarterback’s top targets walk when there aren’t many better options available is the typical bad GM move.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. Red Menace

So you bring up the past and then ask me what anything before this year matters?

It’s pretty straightforward, the Jets had a good offense around Sanchez and a strong oline.

The current Jets have not had a good offense in three years, and that includes Enunwa, they are dismantling nothing because there is nothing worth keeping, including an injury prone player.

Cotch and Edwards were much better receivers than Quincy and they were hardly ever injured.

If and when Q ends up on the IR next year Darnold will hopefully be advanced enough that he will be able to find someone else like he has done this year by finding Robby and Herndon as his go to guys.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Q, but I’m not a homer, I want a receiver that can play the whole year.

7. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Meh. $20 million locked up on a good WR in Dee Milliner's body. Welcome back Quincy, please stay healthy.

22 unrestricted free agents still to be decided upon - keep an eye on that "huge" cap space.

8. BroadwayAaron

Bringing up how our offense has played the last three years when our quarterback of the future has only played the last year is pointless. Bringing up a similar situation that our franchise was faced with in the past is an example of how we shouldn’t make the same mistake again. You have to see the difference there.

You keep referencing the top 15 offense around Sanchez but that’s kind of a lazy statistic to throw out there. Here were the passing rankings in Sanchez his rookie year which is what we are referencing:

Pass attempts: 32nd
    Pass yards: 31st
    Pass TDs: 28th

We were literally ranked the worst passing offense in the league. Meanwhile we had the number one rushing offense in terms of attempts and yards. Not exactly as “straight forward” as you want it to be. So your stat is pretty skewed but something tells me you knew that and threw it out there anyway.

Either way, Quincy had 36 targets through the first four games of Sam’s career and then he got hurt. Five receptions per game for 70 yards per game playing in a vanilla offense with a 21-year-old rookie quarterback playing his first ever NFL games. Pretending like he’s not just as good if not better than Sanchez is blankets is irresponsible. And I loved Edwards and Cotchery. Still hate that we jettisoned them and essentially ruined Sanchez (who is nowhere near what Sam is, but still).

I understand that you are worried about injury but trying to combine the last two seasons is also a little irresponsible. One was a freak neck injury and the other and ankle injury caused by a defender grabbing his ankle and turning. Two completely separate injuries that have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Worrying is a valid concern, pretending like it’s inevitable is not.

Bottom line is the $20 million over three years is right in line with what his market value would be unless you’re one of those people that for some reason thinks he would only be able to sign a one year “prove it“ deal.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Depends which version of Kearse (or even Tate) we are referencing.

Kearse this season was dreadful.
    Last year though he was a polished route runner who was a reliable mover of the chains. At 31, I think Tate can still offer that level of production.
    He could be worth a short term contract depending how much he wants.

FJF likes this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

I dont disagree about the health concerns. I have them too.

However, Q has been a very solid receiver when on the field, he is a matchup problem that only helps others on that offense.

We signed him to a team friendly deal. This contract definitely doesnt break the bank now or in future years.

So, why not?

The only way this is a problem, is if Macc or whoever believe that he is the guy moving forward. That would be foolish, and believe we draft or sign someone else in FA to help secure a solid WR core moving forward.

....this is a situation that is so obvious, Sam needs weapons, It will be a priority this off season. The fans, media.. Its everywhere. It's kinda hard for any GM to fuck this up.

Then again.... ha

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  11. Red Menace

I though we were discussing the dismantling of the pieces that Sanchez had around him and how that negatively affected his overall production.

That’s why I replied with my hesitation with regards to the jets signing of Q as a go to guy and being a piece of an offense that was needed for Darnold development.

I saw how Darnold was looking for Q early on in the year, it’s expected from a rookie.

I do worry about his health and I don’t think he’s going to stay healthy next year. I’m hoping he does but in reality, I believe Jets should still try and find another quality receiver in draft that can be ready to step in and take Q’s spot.

We will agree to disagree on this one.

12. BroadwayAaron

Why are you labeling Q the “go to guy”? He’s clearly not. He’s not being paid to be either.

13. Red Menace

In one of our discussions you said “letting go of a QBs top targets is a bad GM move”

Was that a general statement? Or was it referring to Jets pieces under Sanchez or Q as Darnolds go to guy?

I took it as Darnolds go to guy because of the conversation we were having.

14. BroadwayAaron

He was Darnold’s go to guy when healthy this season... a season where the WR corps was below average at absolute best. Moving forward, Q isn’t going to be the top guy. You hope at least... if he is that means all we did was resign Robby, didn’t draft a good one and we got shut out elsewhere. His APY is right in line with other 2/3’s in the league and his guarantees are as well.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No ...I am not questioning the desire to keep Quincy it's the contracts Macagnan dishes out that a few people here have argued are a bit generous and I see this as a bad pattern with him

And no I don't know "who the Devil is out there"...that's not my job to research FAs and guys in the draft

So just looking at the Terms of a Deal to Quincy...it's definitely advantageous to the player ( And Enunwa/his agent knew that given his injuries) ...that's why Quincy said yes

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Well, sure, but it also may be true that he could have gotten a bigger deal going the free agent route. Was it too generous? Time will tell - until this guy[​IMG]
    joins the staff, we'll never know in advance. It's been said that the best deal is one that neither party is completely satisfied with.

17. BroadwayAaron

Robby Anderson with a solid 0 reception, 0 yards first half. Definitely the kind of guy you want to give $40 million guaranteed to, as one poster alluded to in this thread.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  18. IIMeanDeanII

I'm willing to bet, unless Robby takes a team friendly discount (I doubt it and dont blame him), he wont be a Jet next year.

...and I'm okay with that. It means we will absolutely have to find a top guy, someone much better than the one trick pony would be beneficial all around.

19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The Pats think he's soft. The way they always play him, he hasn't responded well.

That said they did have their #1 CB on him and can't teach speed.

20. BroadwayAaron

And on two separate occasions he had the ball not free which only adds to the worry that his frame can’t handle a physical CB that he can’t burn. If we can put him behind Quincy and a legit number one and we are in very good shape. If we can’t put someone ahead of those two and we haven’t done anything to help Sam out.