Question for Contractors

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Waterboy, Jan 6, 2018.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Yep, here I am again. The electric work on my current place didn't kill me so will be getting ready to work on my next house.

Haven't made an offer yet and will be getting an inspection, but down here we do not have many brick homes so I am not too knowledgeable on the subject. The place I am looking at is block construction with brick facade, besides the obvious missing/cracked bricks and/or problems with mortar joints. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

When was the house built? That will tell you a lot about the codes that were used as parameters to build the house.

Royal Tee likes this.
  3. The Waterboy

Built in 1951, it is in a downtown historic district but not sure how much that matters since I am sure the brick is from before it was made the historic district. I've worked on some 1950's home in the area before and construction was pretty solid, just don't know brick.

On another note, just got a text back from from daughter who lives in the city we will be moving to. She says her friend lives in that area and calls it the gayborhood, at would think the homes would be well kept then.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you're in Southern Florida you want to be on a rise and you'd like the house to be easily raised if you need to do that. Half of Southern Florida is going to be under water during big storms over the coming decades.

Royal Tee likes this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

A Block house built in the 50's..... c'monnnnn maaan :confused:

Anyway, to answer the original question:
    is it concrete block with an exterior brick "veneer"?
    Look for "settling" cracks that could be foundation related (long running mortar crack that run around courses of block (some are inevitable in a house that age), and around headers (inside of garage wall could be a good indicator if it's not "finished"....
    Also see if your inspector can check for interior rebar reinforcement (particularly around openings) and solid pours.
    May not have the former at that age, but Insurance companies would like it, but should have the latter.

Where is it? I'm sure it's pretty solid

but in reference to Brad's comment, yes hopefully it's at 10'

and no, I'm not a contractor..... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express

Br4d and FJF like this.
  6. The Waterboy

It's inland, central Florida. Been on the coast during hurricanes which is one reason we are moving inland. Plan to be doing a bit of traveling and don't want to worry about the house flooding.

Thanks for the reply.

#6 The Waterboy, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  7. The Waterboy

Yes, block with brick veneer, that is what's getting me. Block with stucco the step cracks would be easy to spot, maybe not so easy with the brick.
    It's in between 3 lakes but the uphill slope is pretty substantial, if I had to guess I would say it is at least 20-30 feet above the 100 year flood level. It sits higher than the college and high school it is by.

It's in Lakeland right need Florida Southern College, probably less than a mile to Swan Brewery and Lakeland Brewing Company, have to have my priorities straight. Very close to downtown, they almost always have something going on downtown.

Thanks

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

mortar cracks are acceptable, vertical/horizontal brick cracks are not.

check for increased number and width cracks above doors/windows, and below windows - indicative of abnormal stresses.

inspector is a must, possible get 2 and compare notes.

stinkyB and Red Menace like this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If interior is freshly painted you might not be able to see cracks above doors and below windows as they would spackle those cracks

House is probably 100 amp box with older code electrical that may need to be upgraded if your going to remodel or refresh it.

check chimney for cracked or missing clay liner if you have one.

As already mentioned reputable inspector is a must.

Wish you the best.

stinkyB likes this.
  10. The Waterboy

Appreciate the replies, no chimney so no problem there. I know many of the houses in the area still have the aluminum wiring so the 100 amp box would not been an issue since I would do a complete rewire.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Interested in a small Block house, a short bike ride to the beach and the boat ramp? In the process of being totally remodeled..... only flooded once! ;)

The Waterboy likes this.