QB

Discussion in 'Draft' started by cbman13, Sep 23, 2014.

1. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

You're right, the talent of the guys he's throwing to mean nothing.

Man stfu

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I agree with this, I would prefer Mariota but Winston is starting to grow on me. Honestly, I believe that the Jets will be in a position to grab one of Mariota, Winston, & Cooper. You take any of those three players and don't look back.

3. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

What do y'all think of Blake Sims? Seems like he wouldn't be a bad late round developmental QB.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

b.reyes16 likes this.
  5. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

I dont think hes eligible to come out this year

6. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

I would hope so, he's a senior lol

7. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

A redshirt senior at that

8. Gang Greener

Gang Greener Member

What about Brandon Bridge?

Anybody like this kid in the later rounds?

To me, he's in the mold of a raw Winston: big/physical QB with a big arm and similar throwing motions.

Obviously wouldn't be starting week 1, but has all the necessary 'intangibles' you look for in a kid to coach.

What say you?

9. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Good thing we're picking at #6 lol not sure what this means just yet.

legler82 likes this.
  10. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

He probably just means that neither Mariota nor Winston are sure things. Both could become franchise Qbs but each has a number of holes.

Unless he's talking about Winston potentially not declaring for the draft. That would be a huge disappointment.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I know you think Winston should declare for the draft and why and I respect the opinion. I think it would be a mistake for him to declare this year. He's a sophomore and he didn't have the best season and he didn't end on a high note and I think his draft status is going to be very iffy in terms of being a top 10 guy.

I guess it at least partly depends on how he feels he's viewed at FSU at this point. If he doesn't think they're going to be thrilled by his return then getting off the boat now is probably the thing to do.

He really could use another year of seasoning at the college level. He really could use a quiet year with no personal issues also.

Axel3419 likes this.
  12. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

he may feel like he has to get outta town, so to speak. I probably would, if I were him. Of course, when it comes to distractions, New York is the Emperor of the Universe of Distractions.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Damn was hoping Winston would declare, if he doesn't all the good prospects move up :(

Can't say I was a huge fan of this draft class - actually I'm not.

14. Br4d

It's a tough situation to be in for him. If he really feels like he needs to get out of town, well that's going to come up before the draft as people start digging and it could really depress his draft stock. If he has the feeling that FSU could go either way with him coming back or not, that's when he might want to declare for the draft. The FSU folk aren't going to be bad-mouthing him in that situation. If he thinks they really want him back he has to go back. He's got some image rehab to do and some polishing to do and he could very easily be the #1 pick next year if he manages to do those two things.

This is not Matt Barkley at USC. This is a big prototypical QB with some mobility as well. He's not going to drop out of the 1st round next year unless he gets hurt or gets arrested.

15. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

You have a fair point, though as far as the Jets are concerned we should be hoping that Winston declares. Even if we don't end up drafting him or even wanting to draft him, the fact that we have the 6th overall pick means that we should want every potential prospect to declare this year. There's a chance (if we're lucky) that we don't have a top 6 pick for many, many years.

I'm no Qb expert, but giving the Jets a chance to scout Winston and potentially draft him increases our chance at finding a franchise Qb. Whether or not it is in Winston's best interest to declare this year (which I personally believe it is), I certainly hope he does.

Br4d likes this.
  16. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Garrett Grayson is my guy if we go mid round QB, he's a stud who's flying under the radar

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i think it would behoove the jets to NOT draft a first round QB this year. i know the pickings are slim but they should bring in a current NFL QB for next year. And dare i say it - bring back geno. i know he is not the answer but what else to do? at least he has got NFL experience. we may be looking at a season where we start 4-5 different guys, including simms, looking for lightning in the bottle.

shaub, cousins, bradford, etc etc. who knows??

then re-evaluate the landscape next offseason and see whats out there.

18. Br4d

There's no way they don't bring back Geno next year. He's cheap and under contract and it's not like they've got a ton of options out there to push him off the depth chart.

The question is whether they can bring in a QB that makes Geno clearly #2 on the depth chart and that requires either a 1st round pick or a trade at this point. None of the FA QB's are going to push Geno down the depth chart by default.

Trading Geno, if the Jets found a buyer at a price they liked would be the only way short of a draft or trade to move him out of the competition.

19. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Found this breakdown on Sims a few weeks back, but I've been trying to find the post where someone said he'd make an interesting prospect. Seems like you're not the only one thinking that way.

Talent drop off is pretty harsh from Winston/Mariota, and there's as good a chance that Sims will succeed as any of the other guys (outside of those two).

20. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I feel like if you get a game managing vet in FA you have to try Petty in the mid rounds and attempt to develop him under center at third string. Even if we're wasting a pick on promising but unsure QBs every year. When we find a guy we're sure about through the draft we take him ASAP. If one of the guys develops well, even better.