Qb watch-2018

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Cman68, Sep 3, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Obviously, I disagree. I think he has a lot of potential. He has the arm, work ethic, heart and athleticism. You're judging him off of last season and the paltry number of reps he received in TC. Give him a reasonable amount of reps and he would look even better.

Cman68 likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Petty will never be a starter with a GM/HC that does not want him to succeed. The best thing Bryce Petty can do for himself is get the hell outta here and let Macc and Hacc sink or swim by their own devices. There is ZERO chance of Petty getting a fair chance here and I think he knows that by now..

#22 Cman68, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Petty will leave after the season and probably battle it out with Brett Ratliff, Matt Simms and Greg McElroy for MVP for the rest of his career.

soh_vet likes this.
  4. Cman68

Probably will still be more successful than Rex on ESPN though...

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the same 4 things can be said of thousands of NFL busts. The QB is the most cerebal position in the NFL. look at peyton manning. his arm was average, his athleticism was non existent, but he won because his brain, work ethic and heart. I don't think petty is good enough at reading defenses and making smart throws. sanchez has all 4 traits you listed and was a bust becuase he couldn't read defenses or make smart decisions. I think petty has the same issues

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We'll just have to agree to disagree. In any event, imo it's way too early to make any kind of pronouncement on Petty. My earlier statement about Petty becoming a "star" earlier was hyperbole, but I think he has the talent and football IQ to become a very good, consistent starting QB in the NFL if not a star. I think you are basing your determination on a very small sample size last year where Petty had very little practice and was thrust into the lineup with very little prep, lousy game plans and with a team that had pretty much quit on the season. He wasn't given enough reps this season to get into any kind of rhythm or flow, yet in many ways outplayed both McCown and Hack. In the preseason games by most accounts he was making good reads, going through his progressions quickly and not locking onto receivers ala Hack, and making both good decisions and good throws.

BomberJet likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a game where he's made good decisions lol. he's got a good arm for sure. but he makes a lot of bad decisions

8. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

6 play, 99 yard TD drive by Rosen, all through the air. Good stuff.

9. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Rosen and Darnold are at the top of my list. I actually like Rosen a little better overall, USC QB's scare me.

Josh Allen is falling IMHO.
    Lamar Jackson is intriguing, but only if Darnold and Rosen are off the board..

This is as things stand right now IMHO.

10. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Why aren't people as high on Baker Mayfield (kid from Oklahoma)? Every time I see his stats he is lighting it up! Is it more a case of not having the measurables of an NFL QB (height, speed, etc) or is he more of a system QB?

Only game I saw him in was the Ohio State game this year and he looked pretty good to me!!

But like everyone else right now -for me it's all about the 2 Pac-12 guys right now. Doesn't look like you could go wrong with either.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I'm super high on Baker Mayfield. I think he's another Russell Wilson situation ready to happen.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I would rather have a slightly above avg offense and a killer defense. Win a lot or games 21-6

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

With the way the rules are, and the way the refs are told to call the games, it's almost impossible to have a "killer" defense. You really need to have an offense that can respond quickly when -- notice the word choice: WHEN, not IF - the other team scores. Look at what Brady did in the SB. I'm not saying the Falcons had a great "D", but the Patriots did and look what happened to them? It was Brady's offense that won it.

Give me an unstoppable offense and a mediocre defense.

westiedog1 and Cman68 like this.
  14. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Keeping an out eye out on Mason Rudolph - they'll be playing #16 TCU - he's got the size and arm but scouts thinks he's a project because he doesn't work under center enough. He's improving.

BleedingGreen55 likes this.
  15. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Can we really afford a project though still? We need a young kid who we can throw out there to endure the growing pains, and not wait around in hopes of him improving week in and week out in practices only.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

McSorley anyone? Dude has ice in his veins and threw a game winning dagger against Iowa. He's a little short reminds me of Drew Brees but he and Darnold locked up in an epic Rose Bowl game earlier this year.

17. Cman68

Brees might be the last of the Smurf QB's...

18. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

Every scouting thing I've seen has kept saying Rudolph has the best receiving corps in the country, too.

19. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

You're right, but was just anticipating him improving as the season progresses. Problem is the program he's in where all the snaps are in the backfield. Very big negative when projecting to NFL schemes. He's got the size and arm though.

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The only guy like that is really Rosen. Darnold is not running a pro-style offense.