QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There were still landmines all over the place in that draft at the QB position.

The first guy taken was no kind of franchise QB at all but he looked the part so he went first.
    The second guy, in a year seen as a bonanza for QB's, didn't go until pick 22 and then he went to the only franchise worse at finding a QB than the Jets.
    The third guy was always seen as a high floor/low ceiling guy with questionable physical attributes and despite being drafted by the only team of the three so far to have a topflight QB guru he basically just coasted along until his lower body broke down and he suffered a serious career-threatening injury.
    The fourth guy came out of a college spread and wasn't seen as a sure-thing by anybody, with even the team that took him passing him up once and settling for him when he fell to them 36 picks into the draft.

You could make an argument that any of those guys could have worked out in a different situation but the fact is that only one of them is what people thought he might be on draft day and that's the last guy taken.

What that tells you is that the 2014 QB draft was mostly hype and that the raves that various prospects got were mostly smoke and mirrors and that only one team survived the process intact - that being the team that honestly decided it couldn't tell the difference between all the prospects and just decided to take one on the 36 pick if one was still there when that pick came up.

If the Texans had taken Carr on the 33, well the Raiders wouldn't be where they are today but i will guarantee you that they wouldn't have lost any sweat over it on draft night either. They let Carr fall to them and exercised the pick and it's been all profit since then. That's the way teams should do it.

Identify the guys you think might have a chance and then take them if they're there on the pick. Don't reach for a QB. Don't trade up for a QB. Don't invest a lot of value on a QB in the 2nd round when the NFL has already collectively told you that the guy is not worth that level of investment.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Carr I get. But Bridgewater was just ok until he got hurt. And Mettenberger was a bust. Why would we want him? Or did you mean Garoppolo?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

SMH

Our D is good enough? Good enough for what? For government work?

We have little or no pass rush, we still can't cover TEs or RBs over the middle, and our secondary absolutely sucks.

Who are these weapons you speak about on offense? We have no LT to protect our QBs blindside even if we find we have a QB who can play well enough. Our TE position is basically a cipher.

4. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. With the snaps having to be divided between 4, no one will get enough reps to be ready for the season. Having 4 is a terrible idea and not realistic imo.

This I totally agree with.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Geno and Mark may be the best 2 QBs we can get next year. Is this funny or sad? I can't tell.

blackssmagic and legler82 like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Karma.

7. NCJetsfan

Classic Far Side Cartoon by Gary Larson.

I disagree with you regarding Sanchez. I don't think he would have been good enough. He wasn't smart, he wasn't a leader, and just didn't have the intangibles that you love in QBs.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

yep

just remembered the Jets had JG over for a steak dinner and then poof...

Too bad he was my favorite QB art the time

9. ColoradoContrails

Thanks for the attribution! I did a quick look on Google to see if I could find it, but didn't. As with all GL cartoons, it was - is! - hilarious.

Well Sanchez got them within 15 minutes - or more accurately the Jets got Sanchez within 15 minutes, but then the FO let all that talent fade away, and Sanchez for sure was no way good enough to make up for it. That wasn't his fault, it was the owner and management.

10. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Best GL story happened to be true, he ran over a dog on his way to interview for a job at the humane society...

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

With 4 QBs on the roster, you more than likely won't get an accurate portrayal of all of the QBs strengths and weaknesses due to the division of reps in OTA / TC. Right now, I think the Jets need to stick to 1 QB on the roster either Hack or Petty, give that player the majority of the reps and acquire a cheap vet to hold the clipboard. Should Hack / Petty fail, you look at the QBs next year.

Now should you draft Mahomes, you shut down the Hack / Petty project immediately and you being working on Mahomes and getting him up to speed on the offense. You also more than likely take yourself out of the 2018 QB mix. Having 4 QBs is detrimental to the offense and gaining any sort of chemistry. It all depends on who the Jets like the most. Whoever the Jets like, they need to start allocating the resources to that 1 QB and not 4.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

"Allocating the resources 101??"

I think it will be a miracle from Heaven if anybody learns anything from the new CS ..lol the OC has never drawn up a game plan and KC/Bowles are studying Cliff Notes

13. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

My preference is a Cousins deal.

Alternate choice would be name Hack the day 1 starter and sink or swim. Know for sure what you have in him.

Only way this happens is if the organization comes out and says they're in a transitional state making Mac and Bowles "safe" for 2017.

If it pans out pop the confetti and champagne. If not then you evaluate his worth as a backup. Not until 2018 would I move on a QB though.

With this being a NY team, and Woody steering the ship, chances are we'll have Romo and a huge contract that we have to eat after 2 years.

FJF likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Spot on. We may have our differences of opinion, but at least on this one issue we are totally in agreement.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

I agree. If they do draft Mahomes (or Watson), then you decide between keeping Petty or Hack and dump the loser. Sign cheap vet - Geno? - and go "all in" on Mahomes/Watson. If it works, great - we're set for 10-15 years. If not, there's 2018, And when I say "works" I mean Mahomes/Watson looks good, independent of the record (to a point). SO, if they go 4-12, but are in most games, and he progresses through the season, you stick with him. If he shots the bed, you go for 2018. This approach will show them quickly if they have their FQB or not, rather than this dicking around, babying the QB until he's "ready". Your FQB should be "born ready", or they're not a FQB.

16. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I normally agree with you but not here. Taking a rookie QB and putting him behind a poor/mediocre offensive line spells disaster. Rodgers, Favre, and Brady didn't start first year and Aikman and Manning looked bad just off the top of my head. With the changes in offensive schemes in college, fewer quarterbacks are coming in ready to play. I don't think you can force a QB but for sure his best friend will be a solid team around him.

Br4d and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Bowles knows (or should know) if he wants to continue being the HC of the Jets, he needs to find his QB as well. If he wants to keep throwing old crappy vets out there, he clearly didn't learn anything and will need to be shown the door ASAP.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

This all comes back to Woody wanting to meddle too much.

Bowles and Mac need assurances they can continue with a full scale rebuild. Or else there will just be all these half measures taken to keep the team "competitive", or just interesting to the media.

Starting with Cutler, Romo, Hoyer, McCown, or some other growth stunting starter. Harris won't be cut, Marshall won't be traded or cut, and we'll stay right around 5-7 wins/season.

ColoradoContrails and BamaDoc like this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Nobody is going to do well behind a poor/mediocre offensive line.

My take on that would be to figure out who the sacrificial lamb is and sacrifice him. A vet like Cutler is going to blow chunks under pressure. A seasoned backup like McCown is going to blow chunks under pressure. A young backup like Petty is going to blow chunks under pressure. A young project like Hackenberg is going to blow chunks under pressure.

I wouldn't draft a QB this year unless the Jets think the offensive line is going to be able to do the job in front of him. I'd overload on offensive line picks and give the guy I'm eventually going to draft a solid line to work with.

As to who the sacrificial lamb is, I'd go with Petty as the default and work from there. I might well sign McCown or Hoyer to a 1-year deal in case Petty just isn't up to the task of starting for the Jets next year. If Hackenberg seemed to have worked some things out, well I'd put him #2 in a line behind Petty. Really though he's not going to do anything with a mediocre offensive line in front of him. It'll just be Penn State all over again.

BamaDoc and PulseJet like this.
  20. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

It is going to be very interesting in the coming weeks. I think the Jets will likely roll with Petty this year. And it will be Petty>Hack>Player to be named. But I also think its possible that after their review the Jets determine Petty is the better prospect. And they either sacrifice Hack or decide to bring in Geno or Sanchez and blow them up behind a weak line.

Br4d likes this.