QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. 73klecko

73klecko Member

Mike Glennon - FA
    Brian Hoyer - FA
    Tony Romo
    Sam Bradford - trade
    A.J. McCarron - trade
    Jimmy G - Pats won't trade within divsion

Anybody else?

I'd like to trade a player for McCarron. CIN isn't bothered by character issues. Pryor? Richardson? Something can be worked out. McCarron is on a cheap contract.

Other than that, I think Glennon but he will probably get a decent contract.

I wouldn't give more than a 3rd for Bradford.

Thoughts?

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Bradford is not getting traded. Bridgewater may not be ready for next season
    Hoyer, no.
    Glennon if cheap and short deal sure.
    No reason for cinci to trade mccarron for less than a 1st and he isnt worth that.
    Garropolo see mccarron.
    Watson is a real possibility
    Hack better be a real possibility.
    We all know romo is a real possibility
    Same as cutler.
    i don't think it will be a hoyer jag type. either cutler or romo and try to have a winning season or it will be a youngster getting their first chance.tthe regime could survive another losing season if they have a young qb that looks like an ascending player in the league.
    I am hoping for Watson

3. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Cousins is looking for a big pay day. Doubt we can pay him and fix the Oline, but probably should be included to the list.

gajetsfan, NYJetsO12 and Jets_Grinch like this.
  4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I have said Glennon for a long time now,,,,that said if we don't rebuild the LINE it won't matter who is throwing or running the ball,,,ps if Bowels is still the coach does it really matter ?

tomdeb, boozer32 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Talk is he could get $27 mio a year, which would make him the highest paid QB. I think I'll pass, pardon the pun.

GreenfiendNYJ likes this.
  6. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

This team will suck next year no matter who the QB is on this team. I'm no Geno fan but I'd bring him back on a cheap contract, let him take his lumps while Petty and Hack continue to learn. Geno, Petty and Hack are all down the field type passers, Fitz isn't. It's time to develop a scheme that fits those 3 QB's. The 2017 draft isn't a QB draft and with the exception of Tennessee any team drafting ahead of the Jets could take a QB. Why waste the #6 pick on a what could be the 4th or 5th best QB in a bad QB class? If neither of those 3 (Geno, Petty or Hack) develop next year they should still be in position to get a very good QB in the 2018 draft. I'm tired of this franchise wasting picks on a QB in bad QB draft. Do it the right way for once, please!

#6 No Fly Zone, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  7. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

Go with Taylor with a bad offensive line he can still make something happen with his legs

dmw and JetLifeLo like this.
  8. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Talk is he could get $27 mio a year, $90 mio guaranteed.

9. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Keep drafting until we get someone good. On another point, get rid of non-TE using, outdated-offense Gailey

NYJetsO12 and Jetmart15 like this.
  10. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Wish I saw what you guys saw in some damn Glennon :-(

Hoyer is not good.

Romo is old, injure prone, and expensive.. won't last 4 games behind that o-line.. and I mean preseason games... by the time we build a team good enough for him to lead somewhere he'll be in a body cast.

Bridgewater as far as I know hasn't been cleared or heard a timetable for his return, so idk why Minny would trade him.. plus like romo he wouldn't last behind our charmin soft o-line.

Got a feeling Pats and Cinci have high price tags on AJ and Jimmy G..I'd rather we draft our own if that's the case.+

I like Tyrod because he can run away from the havoc our o-line will cause him. Plus the thought of him and Fournette/Cook in our back field would be dangerous with our receiving corp.

boozer32, tbruner12 and TheJetLife like this.
  11. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Considering how bad the current qb situation is, I'd take Cousins in a heartbeat, regardless of what it costs. He's been top 10 in passing yards the past two years with an average qb rating of about 100. Also 68% completion percentage and he's only 28. He's a qb you can build around.

Glennon and Taylor are also interesting. I'm all set with old stopgap qbs.

12. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Sign Glennon...trade down in draft and solify OL and CBs.......

NYJetsO12 and Dibben like this.
  13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I doubt Taylor will be available. His 30.5 million salary for next year is guaranteed if he cannot pass a physical by 3rd league day in March and it appears he will try to time his hernia surgery so he cannot pass that physical.

I also think Petty will have difficulty making our roster next year. We will have a FA as the starter with Hack as backup and then Petty competing to make the roster against a possible draft pick.

I guess the question is who will be the FA QB? Cousins, Homer, Geno, Cutler, Romo? I just hope it's someone cheap. I would not be shocked to see Fitz come back even without Gailey. His options are limited as are ours.

14. Jetmart15

Jetmart15 New Member

Draft a QB.

Look, 11 out of the 12 playoff teams drafted their QB, the exception being KC and that is actually a rarity, a FA QB succeeding.

When was the last time a team won the SB with a FA QB, apart from Denver/Peyton last year. I think it might have been Baltimore/Dilfer and he didn't have much to do, just not to stuff up behind a fantastic defence.

Comprende? DRAFT and let the new QB battle it out with Smith, Petty and Hack. Bilal and Forte can get enough yards on the ground behind a retooled OL.

Meanwhile, use FA/draft to replenish the OL (as mentioned previously) and secondary and get a few draft picks by trading Sheldon and maybe Marshall.

westiedog1 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Best move for the Jets is to stick with Petty and Hackenberg. If it is three weeks into the preseason and they're both atrocious, then bring in a veteran as a bridge.

No available veteran is going to lead this team to a Super Bowl. Jimmy G might lead someone to the promised land, but as previously mentioned, it won't be us.

PulseJet and Red Menace like this.
  16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Jimmy G is only good because of Belichick, and won't amount to much elsewhere..... like a poor mans Br*dy for that matter.

I'm not into McCarron at all.
    Romo's back is a massive concern, and i wouldn't give up a draft pick for him.

Maybe bring in Glennon or Taylor as an option in case Petty and Hack suck in camp.
    or use 1st round to draft one.
    situation is not promising. hopefully Petty or Hack take a major step with a new OC, but it's a long shot.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm thinking they'll hire the new OC before picking the new Qb.

18. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

It's pretty safe to say Petty or Hack won't be anything special. The norm is no longer sitting on the sidelines for years. You need to be good right away.

Look at the guys who started since day 1:

Flacco
    Tannehill
    Rothlesburger
    Prescott
    Manning (started 7 games into year 1)
    Stafford
    Wentz
    Ryan
    Winston
    Newton
    Rivers
    Carr
    Wilson
    Mariota
    Luck
    Brees (for San Diego)
    Bortles
    Dalton
    Bradford

If you aren't good enough to start in year 1, you probably aren't ever going to be more than a back up or spot starter.

Most people point to Aaron Rogers, except he was a really good prospect that fell to green bay. Id argue he didn't get better by sitting around, he was already good. These "projects" rarely pan out.

19. same old jets

same old jets Member

Jets are screwed - any young upside QBs are going to be massively overpaid on FA $ or trade chips....I'd like Glennon but word is he is going to land a big contract which there isnt any data to show hes worth it......big no on Geno.

I think they will either draft a rookie or will go McCown/Hoyer for stop gap....even Woody cant be dumb enough to go with Romo/Cutler....well....wait a minute...he just may be!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

While I would like to think that Petty or Hack could be the future I believe that Ryan Mallet would come cheap and at the very least would serve as a capable backup.