QB of the future is in the 2018 draft; Baker Mayfield or Luke Falk

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsFan, Feb 11, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Damon Harrison the NT who the Jets allowed to leave in FA last year because he wanted too much money. He was signed by the Giants.

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Only time will tell. And being that he was just a red shirt freshman last year there's no guarantee that he'd be coming out in the '18 draft after his 2017 sophomore year. One thing's for certain - USC did an about face when he took over at QB.

not to be confused with former USC QB Mark Sanchez:
    an example of quick-thinking-on-your-feet - the "un-buttfumble"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Damon Harrison. UDFA of the Jets who left in free agency for the crosstown Ginats.

LarryAlRalph likes this.
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/art...Bs-Coach/caaa91d0-61da-4c8b-89de-0506d0c78d08

Jeremy Bates, the current Jets QB coach. Looks like he's Morton's pick, not Bowles. He had some decent success as WR/QB coach, the latest one being Jay Cutler in Chicago with Matt Forte. [Bears didn't go too far in '12, but that's not on Bates - after all, Cutler is a fucking jackass.] One red flag: he's been out of football for 4 years as of late.

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is why I prefer the Jets don't draft another QB till the later rounds, they don't even know what they have with the last 2 guys they drafted, training camp is not a great tool for evaluating in game performances with experience under your belt.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I wouldn't mind a later round QB for sure like a Chad Kelly who can provide some competition for Hack / Petty. The thing is, I don't know if they should go into the season with 4 QBs again, should they go with a vet as well. We saw firsthand the repercussions of having too many QBs on the roster, just not enough reps to go around. If the Jets are really looking to see what they have in Hack, they should get a cheap vet and let Hack get all of the possible reps so he can know the system and be ready week 1. If he fails and the team is terrible, you could move in and get a whole new regime that wants a QB in a potentially better QB class.

Personally, I don't think much of Petty, and I think drafting Chad Kelly could be a decent idea. Pair him up with Hack and a vet sounds like a better option.

7. NCJetsfan

Chad Kelly has talent, but is wildly inconsistent and has a brain akin to Cutler's. He doesn't learn from his mistakes. He's constantly in trouble. The Jets don't need that from any player, much less a QB who is supposed to be a team leader. I saw him have some amazing games in college, but there's no way I want the Jets to draft Kelly. He's not a "thug" per se, but just has poor character.

8. 101GangGreen101

A lot of those issues came earlier in his college career no? I thought he was rather quiet the last year or 2. Could be wrong.

9. NCJetsfan

I could be mistaken, but wasn't his invitation to the Combine just rescinded because of something that happened this year? Even if his off the field issues have cleared up, he makes a lot of dumb decisions on the field, and doesn't appear to be much of a leader.

There was an incident this fall as well. Chad went to see his younger brother Casey play in a high school game. Casey took a late hit out of bounds. Chad "bolted from the stands and ran onto the field. The scuffle swelled. The game was suspended. The headlines all weekend: 'Chad Kelly involved in high school football brawl.'"

EDIT: Your question piqued my curiosity so I googled Kelly. Following are some articles that discuss the matter. It appears that the main reasons his invitation was withdrawn are because of the older trouble he got into. Here's a quote from one of the articles:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...t-vance-mcallister/1901tvll881ey1hpm4zenuyrkq

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-exclusion-raises-more-questions-than-answers

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/26/nfl-draft-2017-chad-kelly-ole-miss-quarterback-red-flags-field

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-ole-miss-qb-chad-kelly-barred-from-nfl-combine-165731839.html

#69 NCJetsfan, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

At some point you have to let the rookie QBs in camp get some real game experience, and I'm not talking about preseason games.

The only guy who thinks the jets have a chance to win next year is TB, he does not live in the real world, if he did he would accept the growing pains that come from developing young talent and use next year as a training year for his young players, including Hack or Petty.

I don't want to see any veterans signed, it only gives TB an excuse to not play the young QBs, Mac has to force his hand by not signing anyone that TB can use to take away reps from the young guys.

Kelly could be a repeat of Manziel, I would keep an eye out for Pat Mahomes, if he falls to the 3rd round I'm in on the jets selecting him there.

The jets should come out with 2 starters with their 1st and 2nd round picks this year, selecting Mahomes with the 3rd round pick would be a good move.

Oh and don't worry about Mac addressing the oline, he won't do it until the 4th or 5th rounds.

11. 101GangGreen101

I thought it was due to rehabilitation of his injury, but yeah I saw a tweet that mentioned it was due to off the field issues. People will still attend his pro day but I am sure he will get interviewed then. Looks like the character issues are still an issue for Kelly in eyes of the scouts.

12. 101GangGreen101

I am thinking a very cheap vet at best that can hold the clipboard, I would really like for 1 QB to get the bulk of the reps in OTAs / TC. The veteran presence could help the younger QB in terms of preparation which is the only upside I see to having a vet on the team. Personally would rather see what Hack has to offer. Could be a losing season, but a lot of questions could be answered. Playoffs shouldn't be required this year, just growth. Though, Watson does intrigue me a lot.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It definitely ain't either of the names listed in the thread title.

Like I said and I'll keep repeating myself for the next 12 months, Jets suck this year and they'll finally have a chance at a franchise changer in Darnold, Jackson or Rosen. Let's git er done.

boozer32 likes this.
  14. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

So, Utah had a bad defense ... :D

15. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

and Jalin Marshall, Peake, Anderson, Lac Edwards. The Texans are loaded with talent, other than QB, and Mac had a BIG say in that drafting. Mac is a keeper here and needs at least a few more years.

Dibben, boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

FJF likes this.
  18. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I'll take Most Regretted Decision to Stay in College.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

thats the matt barkley award