Proof Prisco Is An Idiot...Says Mangold Overrated...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Jun 28, 2014.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

At least one writer gets it...Prisco knows not what he talks about...period. Of ALL the players he could have picked he picked on Mangold...really??

Read it here

More writers need to take the queue from this guy at NJ.com. Goodness...when is this tool to be fired??

2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Who would you pick as the Jets' most overrated player, if you had to pick someone? Just curious. There are so few players who are actually RATED nationally that it's hard to pick someone. Brick and Harris were the picks the last 2 years. The only players on the Jets that are good enough to be considered overrated are Vick, CJ2K, Ivory, Decker, Brick, Mangold, Wilkerson, Harris and Pace. I don't think there are any other options for Prisco to even pick.

3. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Hence Prisco shouldn't have bothered to pick anyone then. To be quite honest...I NEVER really hear about anyone being overrated. Everyone pretty much knocks the Jets as a whole to the dirt any chance they get so..... The closest to anyone being written about and overrated would probably be Wilkerson...and he has earned every accolade he gets.

BTW....I am not saying Wilk is overrated...far from it. NO ONE on the Jets is overrated. Hell...it's almost impossible to get anyone to talk about the Jets anyhow....

4. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

It's Prisco..this could only mean less coming from Manish.

As for Mangold being overrated. Id guess its more of him having to pick a player and not wanting to pick David Harris again. To me the only other players he could've chosen are our free agents (Decker, Vick, CJ)

mezzavo likes this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Rex himself would be about the only candidate for someone to write an 'overrated' piece. Not that I'd agree with it, but Rex is a huge figure in Jets lore.

mezzavo likes this.
  6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Mezz, it's the offseason, people get paid to write articles. He likes to do an underrated/overrated article every year. He's got to pick somebody, and the Jets don't have too many options for the 'overrated' part, particularly since he used 2 of the other obvious candidates the last 2 seasons. If Mangold plays like he did last year, and people consider him the best center in the NFL still, then yes, he is overrated, but it doesn't really matter at all.

JetLifeLo and abyzmul like this.
  7. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Maybe he doesn't like centers. He also said Pouncey of Pittsburg and Unger of Seattle were overrated. I would have picked DBrick for overrated. I would have picked David Nelson for underrated.

8. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

Prisco has said some really stupid stuff in the past but I really don't think what he said about Mangold was that bad. Who would you consider the most overrated player on the team?

9. Footballgod214

You're a sports writer and your boss tells you to write an over/under article about the Tampa Bay Bucs. Only thing is your article must get AT LEAST 3,000 clicks or you don't get paid.

Go.

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This is so accurate.

It's all a game. I've realized none of this shit is real. This is just reporters or writers meeting their views.

Pick a fan base that is crazy about their hometown football team. Bash one of their best players. Bam, you hit your view count tenfold.

11. Footballgod214

Prisco: "It really upsets me when fans circle the wagons and get irate over an fluff piece I wrote in 10 minutes, off the cuff, with zero research while driving to the links to play a round with my hommie who's in town for a wedding".

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Is his homey his mommie?

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem with picking Mangold as over-rated is that nobody really rates him as a top-tier center any more. He's a good center who produces well and is very durable. The All-Pro days were from 2008 to 2010 when he was the best lineman on a deep and talented line in which a case could be made for everybody going to the pro bowl on an annual basis.

He hasn't really been *that* guy since the high ankle sprain in early 2011. He's very good, he's a big asset for the Jets, but he's not the best center in football any more and he's not really on the short list either.

So if you're taking Mangold's rep as of 2010 and projecting it into 2014, then yes he's over-rated. If you're looking at the last 3 seasons and projecting it into 2014 he's right where he should be: a good player who is a big plus for the team.

Just to add a clarifying note:

Here are Nick Mangold's AV (Approximate Value) numbers from Pro Football Reference.

2006 - 9
    2007 - 7
    2008 - 11
    2009 - 13
    2010 - 13
    2011 - 10
    2012 - 5
    2013 - 6

I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a big bounce back season this year if the offensive line is finally healthy and looking good as a whole. That's what I hope happens.

#13 Br4d, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  14. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

It's not a bad choice. Him or Ferguson would be the obvious choices. Harris is overpaid but at least he produces consistently.

15. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt until I read this. Basically Prisco just admitted to being a hack.

Prisco = self pwned

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Clearly Decker should be the most overrated Jet. A #2 WR who played with Peyton Manning at QB and Demaryius Thomas at #1 WR spot with Wes Welker in the slot, being paid to be the team's #1 WR seems overrated to me. At least by the Jets themselves.

17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

And you came to that conclusion in the offseason with not a single second of NFL football as a Jet under his belt? Interesting.

What if he is a number one? What if he goes out there and has the best year of his career this season? How can you make an assumption that someone is overrated who has never played a down of football on his current team?

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I just said how. It was pointed out earlier that the Jets don't have many players who you could overrate. No one is thought too high of, unfortunately.

19. Footballgod214

haha thanks bro but I made that shit up just to kick Prisco when he was down. My bad!

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You always pay a premium to bring a productive prime free agent in. That's why you rarely should use the free agent market to fill needs. In this case the Jets need at WR was a crying need and Decker perfectly fills that need. He's a good productive WR and gives the Jets a chance at having 3 solid receivers this year.