Preseason QB Play Time?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Aug 3, 2018.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Looking at it from Teddy's perspective, he had to know no team was going to sign him as a starter coming off his injury, plus the competition from 6 or 7 1st round QB's coming into the league. He also had to know the Jets were positioning themselves to draft a franchise QB. He had to figure his best shot to get back to where he wants to be is to sign a one year deal as backup and hope he gets opportunities to show what he can do through the course of a season (and that includes preseason.) One way or another, by the end of this season, the league should have a better idea of what he can do and hopefully (for him), he'll get some interest from the rest of the league.

tiger8mush likes this.
  2. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Exactly.

He’s not signing a 4 year deal to be Darnold’s backup.

He’s not a Jet fan.

3. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

10 years? Was i in a coma for 6??

LF911SC and westiedog1 like this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

Exactly. Which is why you protect him around 1st string offensive lineman, who chances are most won't be here long term either; and pray that A.) He performs at a super high level during preseason. B.) Creates an even bigger buzz around his name & C.) Teams come knocking on Macc's door for a 2018 rental (and possibly more) by offering asset's.

5. Rollo Tomassi

I have never rooted for injury to an opposing player but it would be really fortuitous if a starting QB or 3 went down in the preseason.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I hear you, and mostly agree, but I just would not trade Teddy. I would keep all 3, even knowing Bridgewater will sign elsewhere next year, McCown will retire and I will have to sign a veteran to back-up Darnold.

As for playing time, I guess we will see what Bowles does Friday. I would guess he sticks to his current Depth Chart for Game 1 vs. Atlanta.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

All of this is entirely possible if not entirely probable.

However who knows, his perspective on pro football life might have changed a little with his injury. I would think its possible he might like the Jets environment and lets face it there are a lot worse lots in life than being a nicely paid #2 QB. Excellent chance you may be right and he might be looking to bolt for more money at the first opportunity. All I'm saying is that I hope that's not the case and I hope he stays long term. I don't know Teddy personally or anything but from what I watch on TV he "looks" like he might be adaptable to a long term #2 role both mentally and performance wise. Entirely possible that's 100% wrong and he's outta here by August 31st but again.... I personally am rooting for him to stay.

I think there is a chance he's a real asset for the Jets.

Also isn't there a good chance theoretically an 8 year run here as a nicely paid backup would actually net him more money than going somewhere else as a starter for a crappy team, getting mauled, re-injuring his knee and being out of the league in 2 seasons? Because I think that's a real possiblility isn't it? Staying here might not be such a bad "business decision" either in the long term.

8. Rollo Tomassi

I can’t even.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Nobody will stick around 8 years to be a backup..he will move on or the team will when the price gets too high. Especially someone who once started and was good.

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I basically agree with everything you say here with one caveat. Teddy could become a long-term option for the Jets if Darnold starts day one and then flops badly, then Teddy takes over the starting job and he plays very well almost leading the Jets to the playoffs. It would be pretty hard for the Jets to not re-sign Teddy in that situation.

11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

People are going to complain tonight when Sam inevitably plays with the 3s.

Just remember Baker played with the 3s, as did Allen, Lamar Jackson and even Jameis Winston. This is just how it’s done.

Cman68, NYJetsO12 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Fire everyone....:p

Big Cat likes this.
  13. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Only thing is what if he didnt get the opportunity to prove definatively what he has left, or plays and is shaky? We all assume hes going to play in the preseason, play pretty well and then teams will either call the Jets for a trade or will be there at the end of the season offering a chance to start. If Jameis straightens his act, who would possibly come calling with a starting spot?

14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Bridgewater has to play to prove that he’s worth a draft pick.
    Darnold has to play to prove he’s the starter.
    McCown....doesn’t really have to do anything. There’s like 50 years worth of tape on this guy.

My guess is the starting OL gets quite the workout this preseason in order to protect the investments.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

2 HOURS TO GO TIME !!!WOOHOO

Sam is the future Darnold with his first TD...TONIGHT!!!

16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I'm answering after tonight's game so I have a slight advantage because Teddy did get to show his stuff tonight. Given Darnold's impressive debut, it stands to reason that Teddy will get a lot of opportunities to play in preseason at a minimum. Nevertheless, even if he didn't get many opportunities in games, it's possible a player can create a buzz by performing well in training camp and practice. We, as fans, may not get to see him play enough to evaluate, but scouts and insiders will know if he still has enough to merit an opportunity on another team.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

That's right..the better he plays and with the lack of real QB talent out there Mac could get a First or at least Second round picks for him imo

TBH however I DONT want to see him go ...maybe it's the old SOJS mindset but what IF Darnold starts to decline in some way or more realistically gets hurt . In this league and with that so so OL it's very possible and Mac will have egg on his face not protecting the kid.

Teddy will have a tough physical to pass with any other team offering him big bucks.I guess the Jets doctors gave him a bit of a pass....I really wish him well but I am sure Mac could give him deals with plenty of incentives if he is"stuck" with us

18. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Darnold needs to start Thursday night. He passed his first test with flying colors. Now get him behind the starting OL and playmakers and see if we can get him to be a little more aggressive.

Play Darnold the 1st half, Teddy the 3Q and please sign a camp arm for the 4Q handoffs.

19. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

No matter what happens Teddys not going to be here next season. We're going to have to find a backup eventually so why not get something back for Teddy if we can? Even if McCown and Darnold went down or Teddy won the starting job, if he then when out and won 9 games, Teddys still going IMO because the Jets would never pay Teddy starting money while trying to get Darnold into the role

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, my point is the Jets don't need to get anything back for Teddy. Just help him get his career back on track, which they are already doing. If a team wants him and offers a good pick, then the Jets will make a deal probably. I am fine just having 3 solid QB's on the roster for 2018 though. Rare for the Jets.