Preseason QB Play Time?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Aug 3, 2018.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Remember the 3rd string o line will be playing a 3rd string d line. Adding a 4th QB only limits Darnold's development and Teddy's trade value.

PJ4Ever, FJF and JohnnyJet1222 like this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He proved he was the Jets number one last season, it is his position, I guess what would be unfair was for him not to get the minutes and then Darnald lighting it up and being made the day 1 starter, with Josh not getting a chance but I guess nobody will bother overmuch about that scenario lol

It is what it is, he brings what he brings, it is a guarantee of sorts, he needs no minutes to prove that anymore.

The competition is really to see if Darnald is good enough to be number 1, Teddy to be good enough to get us a second rounder and McCown to be back up and QB mentor/coach.

BomberJet likes this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That's why I see them showcasing Bridgewater to teams that might be potential trade partners. Can't get the item you're trying to trade/sell dinged up. This preseason, just like the last one, will be about the kid Qb and can he take over. They did it with Hackenberg last year and they'll do it again with Darnold this year.

The Dark Knight, FJF and Big Cat like this.
  4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Doesn’t really matter if you’re getting smushed by a 1st stringer or 3rd stringer, ask Mark Sanchez. Backup linemen blow assignments much more frequently and even the worst camp bodies can drill the quarterback when that happens.

5. TonyFtLaud

That's true, but Bridgewater is experienced and mobile. Unfortunately, injuries are a part of the game. Can't keep the QBs in bubble wrap and off the field. Teams get very little time with players and trying to develop a Rookie QB and showcase a potential trade able player means one or both are going to be at risk of injury. He'll Teddy's knee injury was a non contact injury.

westiedog1, FJF and Big Cat like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Typically the starter doesn’t play much in game 1 so if mccown is sitting at 1 right now it,playing 1 drive would be the norm. I’d expect that’s the way it will go Friday night:

TonyFtLaud and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This is all going to be on our "trusted" HC and his staff..

Bowles is such a conservative fuddy daddy he will sit his VET, the go to guy McGown and play Sam and Teddy

Fingers crossed they both escape unscathed ...if the rush is overwhelming Woody better be on the phone telling Mac to buy more protection for the OL

#27 NYJetsO12, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  8. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Well you can’t play your starting ol all game, so you’re going to be massively disappointed. Also consider they’ll be going against 2nd and 3rd stringer defensive players.

9. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

They won't want to risk injuries to the starting OL either. But I predict 1, maybe 2 series for McCown then Teddy finishes 1st Qtr with 1st OL then 2nd Qtr with 2nd OL. Sam gets 2nd half all with 2nd OL and max protect from RBs and TEs.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I am thinking Teddy will get the start in the first preseason game, I wouldn't be surprised if he played the entire first half. Darnold goes in at the 2nd half, plays very vanilla and CS tries to protect Darnold. Teddy's performances will set the tone for the rest of the preseason. He will need to really perform to keep Darnold from moving up the depth chart.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Not really. Showcasing him would be playing him behind the starting OL and hope he performs well. Having him play behind the 2nd or 3rd string OL and running for his life every play won't show anything except how stupid
    Bowles is.

12. NCJetsfan

You definitely have a point, but when you know your 2nd and 3rd string OLs suck, do you really want to risk the future of your franchise in order not to "coddle" him? It would be totally effing stupid to play Darnold behind the 3rd string OL and see him go down with a season-ending injury or take a severe beating where it starts affecting his confidence.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Your first sentence makes sense on the surface, but we've seen in previous preseasons what 3rd string DLs do to our 3rd string OL and it's not even or balanced. You don't want to risk your trade chip or franchise QB behind those grocery baggers and truck loaders, either.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Okay, so your last 2 posts have said that it would be moronic to play Darnold or Teddy behind the 3rd string line. So, who do you think SHOULD be back there? I can tell you it’s definitely not the 39 year old that’s #1 on the depth chart.

Risking injury sucks but the 1st string OL can’t play the whole game.

15. NCJetsfan

I think the playing time will be decided based upon what Bowles'/the Jets' plan or priority is, and how confident they feel in their 2nd and 3rd OLs. If his plan is to start McCown regardless, then McCown may see only enough action to get the offense in sync. If the Jets' plan is to try to start Darnold day 1, then that will affect how much each QB plays and when. If the plan is to try to maximize Teddy's trade value and trade him, then that will determine how much and when Teddy plays. After all, how often is a team able to pick up a former Pro Bowl QB coming off a major injury for peanuts, and have an opportunity to showcase him and hopefully trade him for a high draft pick? Potentially getting a 2nd round pick for Teddy could easily outweigh all other factors. It wouldn't hurt Darnold for him to sit for the first half of the season. As several posters have stated, they know what they have in McCown.

If their holdover backup OL have improved and/or the new OL are better than the stiffs from the last couple of years, then the OL may not be much of a factor, but imo, unless that is definitely the case, it should be a very important determining factor. You don't want to get your trade chip re-injured, and you don't want to get your hopeful franchise QB hurt or see his confidence take a beating. Even if McCown is looking better in practice, this is probably his last year with the Jets, and they don't have a very realistic shot at the playoffs. Even if Bowles' plan is to start McCown again, it wouldn't be the end of the world or the worst thing that could happen to start Teddy instead or even Darnold. I'm sure that Bowles won't think the same as I, but imo McCown is the least valuable QB they have, and he is the one that should be exposed to any injury risk if the 3rd string OL is shaky.

For me, the determining factor is who offers the team the most long-term value? It certainly isn't McCown. Even if he starts and plays the entire year (which is doubtful, either due to injury, poor play, or getting Darnold some experience), the Jets probably aren't making the playoffs, and most likely he will not be back next season unless it's as QB Coach. Teddy, OTOH, could either prove to be a viable short or long-term starter for the team if Darnold struggles or they could recoup a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him this season. At worst, he offers great insurance and is another mentor for Darnold. Darnold is the potential franchise QB/savior. He is the future and the face of the franchise. IMO the very last thing you would want to do is risk damaging his confidence or getting him seriously injured playing behind a bunch of scrub OL who probably won't be in the NFL in another few weeks. Darnold and Teddy offer the most long-term value to the team. McCown's long-term value is pretty much zero.

I understand why others would see it very differently and I respect and can appreciate that, but for me, long term value is what is most important.

#35 NCJetsfan, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Leicester Jet likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

See post #35.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think that will be week 2. I feel like we know how this goes, Bowles showed us last year. Give mccown a few reps with the starters and then give everyone a chance to unseat him. Hopefully we have someone that can do it.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You are not wrong, but you are wrong. Haha. If it was a true QB competition, then everything you said is correct. It is not though, really. Even though the Jets and Coaching Staff says it is. They would love for Sam to seize the starting role. If he does, he starts. If he doesn't, they hope Teddy has healed from his injury and can take over. What they want the least is a 39 year old, journeyman QB, who is injury prone, to win the job by default. McCown will likely not get a chance to earn the Starting QB spot. More likely Darnold and Bridgewater will get the chance to not earn it.

All Gas No Shake and CotcheryFan like this.
  19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This is pretty much what happened last year and we saw why Petty didn't start until McCown went down. They wanted Hack or Petty to seize the job, but neither could do so.

20. TonyFtLaud

Yes we have seen what can happen. I remember the incredibly stupid decision Rex made playing Sanchez in the final preseason game. Your the second poster to mention it in reference to my post.
    But I'll use it in defense of my post. You don't want to play your starting QB in that situation and you certainly don't want to risk "the future" FQB. That unfortunately leaves the #3 QB, (Teddy) who will not be part of this team after this season, if that long as the QB at risk. Again he is experienced, mobile and compared to McCown and Darnold, expendable.

NYJetsO12 likes this.