Preseason QB Play Time?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Aug 3, 2018.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Thought about this last night when I was watching the Bears Ravens game....What do you think the distribution will look like this preseason with our guys?

I don't know about you guys, but I don't think I want Sam behind our 2nd and 3rd stringers for an entire half. Maybe let Teddy play a lot in the second half and let him ball out, hopefully increasing his trade value. Letting Darnold take hits behind young lineman doesn't sound smart.

Just my opinion....

2. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Sam and Teddy will get most of the time.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

i thought about this weeks ago but forgot. it's a great question. if they are serious about Darnold being an early starter then you would think they put him in early, even to this game.

if they want to Aaron Rodgers him, then he doesn't play a snap. this game will be telling.

4. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

11:37

17:59

21:24

5. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

that's my dog

6. DefenseWinsChampionships

Great topic.

I say...

If you want to protect your 1st round rookie draft pick in Sam Darnold as your prized QB? You don't protect him with trash. You surround him with your best offensive lineman.

Same goes for Teddy Bridgewater. If you want to turn a low risk into a high reward (draft picks/future assets) and see him flourish; you can not protect him with garbage. It wouldn't be morally right to either. For a young kid coming off of a career ending type of injury followed by then being fed to the wolves during his comeback attempt, imo, would be morally wrong. Surround him with 2nd & 3rd string lineman, he shreads his knee right in front of your face all because of a career journeyman of a backup offensive lineman failed an assignment or read. As a coaching staff, how could you sleep at night. After what he's recently been through he deserves to at least be protected by our very best as well.

Both Darnold & Teddy must be protected at all times by our training camp winners ala depth chart starters.

This is where a veteran leader with damn near 20 years of NFL experience in Josh McCown steps up to the plate and shows his young gun quarterbacks how to Quarterback an NFL pocket under less than ideal situations, how to take a sack, avoid a hit, slide, run out of bounds, throw the ball away, avoid career ending injuries followed by going back to the huddle and doing it all over again... All while being surrounded by teammates who have little shot of making your team.

McCown is a good man. A good person. He's good at all of these things. He's fearless. Tough. Likes to help his younger teammates. Takes pride in showing the ropes. He's built for this shit. I don't think Darnold or Teddy are. Not yet at least. McCown has embraced the role of underdog.

Protect Sam & Teddy with your best.

Let McCown work with the younger prospects and camp bodies.

Or eve sign a 4th string QB to throw out there if Josh can no longer take the punishment behind those backups.

But Sam & Teddy are to be protected like gold.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Didn't Hackenberg and Petty play most of the Pre-Season last year? McCown played the opener then I don't even remember him playing again. Expect something similar this Pre-Season.

I disagree with @DefenseWinsChampionships saying play McCown with the 3rd string. He would literally be dead by the end of his first drive. He is 39. It is a good question and point though. Teddy, coming off a knee injury, it would not make much sense to put him behind a 3rd string O-line. Sam is our crown jewel. Surrounding him with crap would be terrible. McCown is 39 and injury prone, putting him in with 3rd string doesn't make much sense either. Maybe the coaching staff will realize this and sign a 4th QB camp body?

8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I think it will be Teddy first half and Darnold 2nd half.

All Gas No Shake and TonyFtLaud like this.
  9. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

That kid Josh McCown.

He should play.

As the X-factor.

10. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Same as last. Give McCown a drive or two. Let Teddy and Darnold split the final 3.6 quarters.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Darnold has to earn/win the starting job that means he has to play major minutes during preseason to prove it.

It's football.

Don't coddle him.

McCown is who he is we know what we have in him it's no secret. He hardly played during preseason in 2017 I suspect it'll be the same this preseason.

I want to see what we have in this guy (Darnold) right away.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

If this is a true QB competition, then McCown not only needs to play in the preseason, but also perform well. If he doesn’t play well with the starters in preseason Game 1, start Teddy game 2 and see if he performs better.

As for who will play during preseason game #1...it should look like this:

1st Quarter- McCown
    2nd and most of not all of 3rd quarter- Teddy
    4th Quarter- Darnold

Because Bowles is our head coach...it will look more like this:

-McCown plays either drive #1 or not at all (which I think would be a big mistake)
    -Teddy plays rest of 1st half
    -Darnold 2nd half

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

It’s a difficult one. We can’t afford any of our QBs to play behind a scrub OL. McCown and Teddy have a long injury history and Darnold has a bright future. Either the first line OL need to get more reps than necessary or we need to use a makeshift QB#4.

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well tbf I am more inclined to go with your Bowles line up tbh, McCown at 400yo does not need game time, as proved last off season as he barely threw in pre-season and then came out and had a career year, currently he is our number 1 and it is upto the others to show what they have in the games they get, unfortunately for Teddy, still wearing a knee protector [​IMG] is not going to do him any favours, it suggests the knee is still weaker than required and I would imagine he won't suit up for a real game with that thing on his leg, I appreciate it could be just cautious but another poster said it looked like he was walking with a limp last week, a big risk all round if he takes a big hit or a twist and pop.

15. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I think McCown will play one series like the opener last year, but I’m extremely interested to see who the 2nd QB in is.

On one hand, Bowles has been insistent that Teddy is the 2 and Darnold is the 3 at this point. However, Darnold has gotten significantly more snaps with the first team than Teddy. My guess is Teddy relieves Josh, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Darnold goes in with the 1s and finishes the first half instead of the second.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, the Jets have NEVER had a "true" QB competition during the present regime so there's really no reason why this year should be different.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, it makes sense for Darnold over Bridgewater since this will be full contact, no red jerseys. They really can't afford to risk Bridgewater and his questionable knee if at some point they want to trade him to recoup a 2nd. I can see them playing McCown first, then perhaps a series or two with Bridgewater, then the rest of the game with Darnold.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Just a difference of opinion. If McCown is good enough the be the week 1 starter, he should have to prove it in the preseason. I think that is only fair.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

If your talking tonight's scrimmage, I expect them all to get playing time.
    As for the 4 preseason games. I don't expect to see much of McCown. A couple of series. Darnold will likely play the first half of the preseason games and Teddy likely plays the second half. Could be flipped the first game or two depending on how Darnold Develops in camp.

FJF likes this.
  20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It’s a catch 22. If they want to trade Teddy they need to showcase him in the preseason games. Teams aren’t going to just believe the reports coming out of practices.

BomberJet, Cman68 and TonyFtLaud like this.