Preseason Game #2 Detroit Lions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 18, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/art...vs-Lions/ac46b363-06c7-4795-ac44-0073d195ca31

Who Has Been Ruled Out for Week 2 vs. Lions?
    Ethan GreenbergNYJets.com Contributor

Mauldin, Forté Won’t Suit Up in Motor City, but Powell Will Play

While the Jets have yet to name their starting quarterback for their second preseason matchup, head coach Todd Bowles told the media who wouldn’t play against the Lions Saturday night.

“We’ll probably hold Mauldin (back) out,” Bowles said. “Forté (hamstring) hasn’t practiced the whole week, so he won’t play.”

Wide receivers Marquess Wilson[​IMG] (hip) and Daniel Williams (concussion) also will not play.

However, the Jets will receive a shot in the arm as running back Bilal Powell[​IMG] is set to make his preseason debut. Rookie OLB Dylan Donahue[​IMG] and S Shamarko Thomas[​IMG] are expected to make their debuts as they were both held out of the preseason opener, but both players practiced all week.

WR Quincy Enunwa[​IMG], who will miss the next six to nine months due to a bulging disc in his neck, was a bystander at practice today. The third-year player has yet to be placed on injured reserve, but Bowles said he’s getting surgery sometime next week.

Et Cetera
    Bryce Petty[​IMG] had his most reps of camp and fired a handful of touchdown passes, two of which landed in the hands of tight end Jason Vander Laan[​IMG]…Cornerback Morris Claiborne[​IMG] had a pair of picks. The first one bounced off of WR Chris Harper[​IMG]’s hands from a Christian Hackenberg[​IMG] rocket that took a fortuitous bounce and fell into Claiborne’s lap. He later picked off Bryce Petty, who was scrambling to avoid pressure from OLB Freddie Bishop[​IMG]…TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins[​IMG] caught a nice ball from Josh McCown[​IMG] down the seams that stretched over Bishop’s outreached hand...Rookie CB Derrick Jones[​IMG] showed nice closing speed and batted down a ball from Petty intended for WR Charone Peake[​IMG].

I'll look forward to seeing/reading about Donahue's and Thomas' performances in the game.

2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see how he balance evaluating/grooming Hack vs getting Josh ready for the opener. The most efficient way (to me) is probably to not play Petty. Have the 1s play the entire first half, Q1 with Josh and Q2 with Hack, then have Hack play the 2nd half with 2s and 3s.

Petty is gonna get the entire 4th game anyway so you might as well give these reps to the top 2 guys.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Makes sense on one hand if Bowles is as committed to starting McCown as we think, but not if there really is still a competition, and Bowles is undecided. If the Jets have ruled out Petty as the starter, and Hack still has a chance to start game 1 of the regular season, do you really want Hack playing behind the 2nd and 3rd string OLs? I don't want Petty playing behind them, either, but imo that makes the most sense if there is still a competition between McCown and Hack, then let each have a qtr. or qtr/ and-a-half with the 1st string offense, and then let Petty play the entire 2nd half or 4th qtr.

sec314 likes this.
  4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with him playing with the 2s but I guess the 3s is a different story. The majority of his reps last week were with the backups and they held up alright.

Hopefully the defense does as good of a job as last week at forcing short drives and 3 and outs to get the offense as many reps as possible. That was huge.

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Jets win 3-0 in a heart stopper

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

vander laan sounds promising. he could win the TE2 spot and even start week 1 and 2 due to ASJ suspension. Also nothing but positive from ASJ. we could actually have decent TEs this year. Claiborne sounds good as well. the harper drop is frustrating.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This is good. We can pick their brains about what it's like to go 0-16.

8. NCJetsfan

Vander Laan is definitely promising and the Jets are high on him. That said, he could, but I doubt he wins the TE2 spot. Leggett and Gragg could have a lot to say about that. Remember that Vander Laan was a college QB just 1 1/2 years ago. I imagine that he still has a lot to learn about playing the position, and probably has to learn how to block effectively.

I definitely think we will have effective TEs this year. In fact, I can fairly easily see them being better than our WRs. I think that ASJ is gonna be a full-fledged star, if the Jets QBs have time to throw the ball and can get him the ball down the seams. Leggett has a ton of promise. He's got excellent hands, and his blocking is much better than was advertised. Gragg is a solid vet. Unless they decide to keep 4 (and they might) they're going to have a tough cut at TE.

9. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

How about, Jets win 3-2 in a pitcher's duel?

NYJetsO12, themorey and boozer32 like this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

They sure cut Forte. The guy is always injured and probably won't play at all this preseason. So that means he's not in "football shape" and will be injured early in the regular season. Good running back but brittle.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

if i was a 31 y.o. rb who was the bell cow for a lot of years, i would have a "hamstring" early in training camp too

12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Young buck Elijah McGuire is getting a lot of work in. Sounds like he's doing a good job so far too.

13. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I was at practice on Thursday, and Sefarian-Jenkins was the player who stood out to me. The guy is bigger than anyone else on the field, and seems to be in great shape. He also was the only player to run over towards the fans to sign autographs the moment practice ended. Seems like he's getting things figured out, both physically and mentally and I expect a solid season from him. I was impressed.

14. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Would like to see another solid effort from Hackenberg. Less drops from the WR. And 0 injuries.

And fewer penalties.

themorey likes this.
  15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah, of course if you were a stud but Forte is not that guy. I can't remember if he's ever played a whole season. I give him to game 2 before he's out.

16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Hoping some how that Bowles is the first coach in NFL history to tear his ACL and be out for the season.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

McDougle actually impressed me in first preseason game.
    Reports out of camp are glowing too. Worth keeping an eye out tonite.
    He's competing with the rookie and Roberts. Might finally be his year.

Likewise, with Middleton injury....Martin, Shamarko Thomas and Rontez Miles will be an interesting battle.

Of course, nothing would be better than Hack playing another capable game.

goddam this team. they suck beyond belief and yet i'm still exciting for preseason week 2!

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  18. Walt White

How many CB's are they gonna keep?
    I think Marcus Williams is in that battle also, that he may not be guaranteed anything, and there may be one odd man out. Williams' experience is a plus tho.
    McDougle might have a place in Nickle and Dime. He's very athletic.
    I like Martin's length and athleticism. It would be nice to see it start to get somewhat better for him like it was with Middleton.
    The OL will be interesting also. Maybe we get an idea of the pecking order, and if there's somebody that has raised his game, Shell i.e.. Likewise the OLB's.
    Hack obviously. A good showing on the road would be nice.

#18 Walt White, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    BacktoQueens likes this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think 6 cbs and 4 safeties? 10 dbs total.
    Adams
    Maye
    Miles
    Thomas
    Skrine
    Claiborne
    Burris
    Jones (r)
    2 of Roberts,mcdougal,Williams
    Jeremy Clark to ir

BacktoQueens likes this.
  20. Walt White

Yeah, pretty much. Why Thomas? I haven't really looked at him, and am not familiar with him.