Preseason Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJetsO12, Aug 13, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good point. But how much more incompetence do we need to see from Bowles? Do you really believe that his starting 3 2nd string OL last night with Hack was part of positional competition? Even if it was, it was a dumbass move imo. By this point, even though there has been some switching in practices, the lines have started building some chemistry together. What did he think was gonna happen when 3/5 of the OL was different? The decisions he makes sometimes makes me wonder if he has ever played or coached football before, yet I knew that he has.

I was out for the evening, so didn't even get to follow the game on NFL.com. When I got home and saw that Hack had started I wondered if maybe Bowles wasn't as dumb as I thought, but then I read that only 2 of the starting OL actually started.

I agree that if more of Mac's draft picks don't pan out, he should go, but think he has done well enough to deserve another year. The problem with that is if we follow your plan, then we have to put up with Bowles for another year, and he could be hampering the progress and development of both Petty and Hack, as well as other players. If they are fired, I definitely want an experienced HC, but who, and there's no such thing as hiring an experienced GM, unless we could lure KC's former GM who I think is working with a friend for another team now.

If Petty doesn't start getting a lot more reps in practice, I'm gonna go ballistic. With a lot fewer reps, his stats are better than Hack's and close to McCown's, and he's done that mostly with the scrubs, and had little or no chance to get into any kind of a groove or rhythm. I did watch the videos on NFL.com and Petty looked really good last night.

egelband, PulseJet, Cman68 and 3 others like this.
  2. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

We aren't going in to Oakland and winning, especially with of our playmakers suspended. Even when Oakland was awful, we always struggled out there. The 2008 game comes to mind.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is really the crux of the issue from last night, and continues o make me question Bowles's fitness for the job. Of course since he knows this is a rebuilding year, maybe he's taking the approach of looking at everyone in as many situations as possible, but he really ought to have better idea of who can do what, especially guys who have been on the team prior to this year. I admit that I've never coached football any level - though I have coached a lot in other sports - but as a fan, observing things, he just has not added to the equation. Good coaches make a difference, enabling their teams to win despite the odds. When has Bowles done that? Even Rex - who I do NOT think is a good coach - managed to get the Jets to play above their level at times.

As for Macc, he's been average, at best. If there is someone - like Holmgren maybe - who becomes available, I would drop him in an instant. Woody has to stop with the Amateur Hour hirings and get some people with proven track records, whatever the cost.

egelband, NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  4. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

All I need to know about Bowles is that down by 11 and at midfield in Pittsburgh on 4th and 2 with 7:30 to go...and he punts.

um, you're trying to score a TD or FG, get a stop, and get the ball back you idiot.

And also of course the penalty issues under him, the locker room issues of last year.

He's in over his head and should not have been retained. Macc deserves to hire his own coach

I would say Macc has been above average at uncovering talent for us. Certainly better than what we have had before. I think Maye is going to be a terrific player, I think he's found someone good in Elijah McGuire. Also I think he does a better job finding scrap heap players like Mike Pennel, Robby Anderson, Peake. Sefarian-Jenkins looks like he could be an impact player.

#44 forevercursed, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Todd Bowles is a fucking moron. He has no business coaching football. The bum should be flipping burgers.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is a good point. Maybe Bowles' mind is already made up to start McCown, but he wanted to see this combination of OL in a game together and decided that with Hack being bigger, stronger, and younger, the chances that he'd get seriously injured were less than those of McCown, and if one of the two was gonna get hurt, he'd rather it have been Hack.

If he truly was trying to give Hack a chance and better see what he could do, then the move was stupid. IMO you can't get any kind of accurate assessment of the QB if you're screwing around with the OL.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think just like Rex, Bowles is overmatched as a HC but probably more suited to be a DC only.

8. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

It's the Peter Principle.

They rose to the level of their incompetence.

9. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

We will just never learn. We need an offensive mind. A toddler can see it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.