preseaon game 1

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Aug 12, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm sure that the gameplan was very vanilla. Also, since throwing short passes last season was a problem for Hack, I think they're particularly focusing on those this preseason not only to correct his mechanics/accuracy, but because they're easier to complete, should be safer, should help build his confidence, and are a staple of the WCO. They may also be a huge proportion of the offense to keep our QBs upright and mobile since the OL has been struggling in TC. Hopefully, the offense will be able to take advantage of his arm strength, and we will see longer passes once he gets to play in the regular season.

2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I wish we knew more about Hack and the gameplan. Obviously I don't want, nor expect Todd to divulge this information.

Was the gameplan to work on Hacks shortcomings, i.e. short, quick, timing passes?

Did he have more free reign, and was just checking down?

Seems like the former, IMO. We'll see if they open up the playbook next week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It was the first preseason game. I don't think having a narrow playbook is anything out of the ordinary for any team, especially with a guy who is being brought along slowly. Between that and the fact we are running a West Coast offense, I'm not sure why people are so surprised that pretty much everything happened within 10 yards last night.

Hack looked good all things considered. Mechanically he was way beyond what we saw last year. Accuracy was there. Limited mistakes. Saw the field (although you could see him locked on even from a high camera angle in some instances). It was improvement and anyone that doesn't think it was a step forward is just looking for reasons to bitch.

4. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I think we r gonna run tbe ball and dink and dunk most games and take a shot downfield occasionally. This is how the team is built. Only chance to win is not turn tbe ball over keep the clock running and rely on our dee and specials to make big plays. It is what it is. At least the coaches recognize it.

5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

We're gonna sorely miss Enunwa. He would've been a monster with the ball in his hands on all these quick passes.

6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Yes, thought Martin, Middleton and McDougald (finally) had outstanding games last night. I was impressed with the overall composure of the team given the first preseason game especially the offense. It's obviously not a particularly dynamic offense but they played within themselves, didn't try to force the issue and didn't beat themselves with turnovers and dumb mistakes. We all knew the defense would be good, and the 2nd and 3rd team defense was outstanding as well.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

There is no game plan in preseason games. Don't look for one until week 1.

8. jcass10

You don't think the Jets went in with the plan of Hackenberg sticking with short passes?

9. Big Cat

10. Skicats

Not turn the ball over is the game plan of every team in every game. Just because we may not throw long enough to your liking , doesn't mean the offense can't be fine. It's a team game, defense will be very good IMO, and the special teams could be very much improved. You and all the other negative posters should at least wait to see what happens as the season unfolds.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Skicats

The short passes were necessary as the Titans D was 8 at the line. Have some patience. What's the difference if we gain 7 yards a pass. Hack looked quite accurate and comfortable in the pocket for the most part. Patriots have won super bowls throwing short passes. It is not necessarily a bad thing if it moves the chains.

12. Skicats

Thanks for posting. Hack did a real good job yesterday. I'm happy with his progress, and am looking forward to more of the same.

13. jcass10

I had no issue with it at all. Hack looked 10x better than I was expecting. But keep in mind we scored zero points on 8 possessions.

I am hoping as time goes on we see him take a few more intermediate to long routes.

14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Agree.
    You also have to consider that even when he is playing with the #1's it is really like playing with the #2's for most NFL teams and playing with the second stringers is like playing with training camp fodder.
    His decision making looked pretty good, mechanics and accuracy were much improved.
    You can see that Hack looks like he is ready to separate himself from Petty as the "hope" for the future.

I wonder if those who are complaining about the short passes really understand that is the staple West Coast offense.

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Hack looks like an utter shit. He's going to throw picks in bunches in live games this way.

C'mon, folks. HE IS LOCKING DOWN ON HIS FIRST READ. IN EVERY FUCKING ATTEMPT. THIS IS REAL BAD. Look at his helmet. Preseason game 1 saved him.

One of the core tenets of WCO passing attack is, as Bill Walsh would preach:

'We will not telegraph our passes.'

Don't just take my words for it. Learn from the best:

ColoradoContrails, CBG and tbruner12 like this.
  16. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

It looked to me like Hack's passes were predetermined before the snap. He may have been staring down field but his head sure as heck wasn't on a swivel. He didn't check his progressions. He knew who he was throwing it to, he doesn't have the mental game yet at all.
    To be honest his throws looked much more accurate, but again, he wasn't making snap decisions which alters your accuracy. Again let's be fair though, it's pre-season game one, and Hack is still in diapers. He was 16-22, little over a hundred yards, a pick and a fumble. "Sanchize" "Nachoesque" type performance.
    He can launch a football though, he has a cannon!
    McClown looked good for his series, hell, we scored!
    Defense may be bad ass! Let's see how teams plot and plan against our weaknesses from week to week.
    Our O-line sucks, it will eventually screw us up I believe.
    Maybe we can up grade after cuts?
    Go JETS!

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Spot on dude, you beat me to it!

18. Big Cat

I hate like 80% of Jets fans

Walt White and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Looked good to me, short quick throws were the game plan

101GangGreen101 and Big Cat like this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is being generous.

101GangGreen101 and Big Cat like this.