Pre-Combine Full Offseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

New York Jets offseason...

Trades
    New York trades number four overall to the Lions for number nine overall and their second rounder.
    New York franchises and trades DE John Abraham to the Denver Broncos for #29 overall.

Free Agency
    Re-sign
    TE Chris Baker
    OG Jonathan Goodwin
    DT James Reed
    LB Kenyatta Wright

Let Go
    QB Kliff Kingsbury
    OT Scott Gragg

Retirements
    QB Vinny Testaverde
    WR Wayne Chrebet

Cuts
    OT Jason Fabini
    QB Chad Pennington
    FB Jerald Sowell
    OG Pete Kendall
    CB Ty Law
    QB Jay Fiedler

Draft
    9. Winston Justice, OT, USC
    They target and get their man at number nine overall. Many will wonder why they didn't just stay where they were and take D'Brickashaw, but Winston Justice will be playing right tackle for us. Adrian Jones has been more than adequate and we pick up an extra draft pick in the process. Now with the stockpiling of draft picks we can solidify the offensive line. Ferguson would have been solid but it makes more sense to trade down pick up an extra pick to fill both the guard and center problems.
    29. Max Jean-Gilles, OG, Georgia
    Possibly the best guard talent to come along in a decade and he will add a nasty dimeanor to our soft line. Next to Adrian Jones he will make the left side look huge, solidify the position and possibly set our offensive line in stone for years to come. Jones-Gilles and Moore-Justice could be a lethal combination of guard/tackles in the league.
    35. Bobby Carpenter, SLB, OSU
    Now I'm not so sure if Jet fans will appreciate this pick but the defense was below average all year. Part of it was because of Eric Barton's injury and part of it was because of Victor Hobson's inability to recognize a playaction fake from a run. Carpenter has all the intangibles and great size to go along with it. He will be an upgrade over Hobson outside and could move inside if we go with a 3-4 look. A very versatile player who can play anywhere in the box and will be a key asset to the retooling of our defense.
    40. Brodie Croyle, QB, Alabama
    The comparison's to Joe Namath are amazing. Wears #12, has two weak knees, the ladies love him and he has a good deep ball arm. I feel that he helped his stock at the Senior Bowl and he is going to move up draft boards. While 40 may be a reach for him, we're a bit known for making reaches. He will compete with Brooks Bollinger for the spot in training camp, and while we're still thin at quarterback, Bollinger will be a solid bridge starter since we really have no shot to compete next year at all. If Croyle doesn't work out then there's always Quinn in 2007.
    71. Demetrius Williams, WR, Oregon
    Now with three possesion receivers we are pretty much set with guys that run a quick slant. Williams is a great athlete that will help our long ball and he has a knack for going after badly thrown balls. A good asset when you have Brooks Bollinger throwing to you. He will help our vertical game a lot, and we'll have a deepset of receivers after finding this steal like Jerricho Cotchery two years ago.
    102. Leon Washington, RB, Florida St.
    The forgotten runningback in a way. He doesn't have very good size but quickness is all that is really needed. He can help our punt returning and I think that he will also be an efficient third down back. He will help our runningback by committee system with Houston and Martin taking the tough yards and Blaylock/Washington spelling them.
    133. Mike Degory, C, Florida
    Possibly the best center in the draft until Urban Meyer fucked around with bad zone blocking schemes. He has a nasty meanstreak and good size. If you were to knock one thing on him it's the fact that he's over aggressive and hasn't snapped with a quarterback under center much.
    160. (comp pick) Jay McCareins, CB/S, Princeton
    Might as well reunite the two brothers. He is a pretty good cover safety and or cornerback and lit up Ivy league schools. He has solid size and could be a project player who adds depth behind Derrick Strait.
    163. Troy Reddick, OT/OG, Auburn
    This is strictly a depth pick. I actually like Troy Reddick as a starter in the future and I wouldn't be opposed to having him start, but we have to make the line deeper and Reddick will provide a backup anywhere but center if someone goes down. He has good size and great run blocking ability which is what I think we're going to center this team around... Run blocking.
    194. Jason Pociask, TE, Wisconsin
    He comes from a program that is known for precise blocking schemes and players that have good blocking techniques in general. Similar to the blocking styles of Minnesota lineman, Pociask will bring a smart tightend who can block.
    210. (f/Detroit) Brandon Marshall, WR, UCF
    An absolute beast from a smaller school, Brandon Marshall can play defensive back or receiver. He can leap like no other and he will outpower many defensive backs for the ball in jump ball situations.
    226. (comp pick) Mike Kudla, DE, OSU
    Obviously another pick to add depth, Mike Kudla is an incredibly strong defensive end. A good character guy, he just seems like the type of player Tannebaum and Mangini might be interested in.

Draft overview
    The Jets were able to address many questions on the offensive line and offense in general. By no means is this draft or offseason going to make us contenders but it is going to set us in the right direction to turning this team around and rebuilding. I'd say we're still about two years away and still need to shore up some cap situations, but this type of draft would be great. There will still be question marks at defensive tackle, defensive end and quarterback but you can't fill every need in one offseason nor can you have superstars everywhere.

Depth Chart
    Offense (26)
    QB: Brooks Bollinger > Brodie Croyle > Free Agent
    RB: Cedric Houston > Curtis Martin > Derrick Blaylock > Leon Washington
    FB: B.J. Askew
    RT: Winston Justice > Marko Cavka
    RG: Brandon Moore > Troy Reddick
    C: Mike Degory > Jonathan Goodwin
    LG: Max Jean-Gilles > Steve Morley
    LT: Adrian Jones > Troy Reddick
    TE: Chris Baker > Doug Jolley > Joel Dreessen
    WR: Laveranues Coles > Justin McCareins > Donte Ridgeway
    WR: Jerricho Cotchery > Demetrius Williams > Brandon Marshall

Defense (25)
    DE: Bryan Thomas > Mike Kudla
    DT: DeWayne Robertson > Lance LeGree
    NG: James Reed > Sione Pouha
    DE: Shaun Ellis > Trevos Johnson
    WLB: Eric Barton > Mark Brown > Darrell McClover
    ILB: Jonathan Vilma > Kenyatta Wright
    SLB: Bobby Carpenter > Victor Hobson
    CB: Justin Miller > Derrick Strait
    FS: Kerry Rhodes > Rashad Washington
    SS: Oliver Celestin > Erik Coleman > Andre Maddox
    CB: David Barrett > Darrien Johnson > Jay Princeton

Special Teams (3)
    K: Mike Nugent
    P: Ben Graham
    KR: Justin Miller > Derrick Blaylock
    PR: Jerricho Cotchery > Leon Washington
    LS: James Dearth > Joel Dreessen

Practice Squad
    TE Corey Lamkin
    WR Harry Williams JR.
    TE Jason Pociask
    RB Terry Butler
    FB Luke Lawton
    DT Matt Chesney

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Bump... Moved from another forum.

3. twinjetfan

twinjetfan New Member

I like your offseason, but I would still rather draft Deangelo Williams 9th.

4. O'Brien7

O'Brien7 New Member

:eek:hmy: :drunk: :rofl2: :rofl:

5. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I would rather have DeAngelo or White 9th, and if that doesn't happen there is no way Houston would start over Martin or Blaylock, and I feel that going with Washington doesn't really help our RB situation either with Blaylock already a change of pace back there is really no use for the washington pick other than as a punt returner, and for just that wouldn't be worth the 4th rounder, other than that it is good.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

I know a lot of people want Williams or White, but I really feel that this is the year to load up on lineman. Looking at next years draft there are much better skill position players (WR: Calvin Johnson, Jarrett; RB: Peterson, Lynch) to draft. While I consider Williams an option I'd rather build the line first.

7. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Interesting ideas but the Croyle pick is a waste. You are going to draft a guy that high to either sit the bench or get killed next year. Then in 07 spend a 1st rounder on Quinn. If that is the plan for a QB we might as well draft a guy in 4th or 5th round that if he sucks it's only a 5th rounder as opposed to a 2nd rounder that can be used to address other needs.

I also don't like the idea of drafting 2 WR's. We have Coles, J-mac, Cotch, Ridgeway, and Williams. Yeah I could see 2 of those guys getting cut but why draft 2 WR's when we could probably get another one via undrafted FA's. Is there really much difference between a WR dratfed in the 7th round and an UDFA?

I don't even see your TE pick on your active roster and Williams was a PS player last year so I think he is ineligable to be on it again. Why is Celestin staring over Coleman?

I'm not knocking you becuase you have some good ideas but I just think there are a few flaws in your offseason.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Well I feel that Croyle will be gone by our third round pick. That was a selection that I wasn't too sure on so I took a risk on it so to speak. I understand that reasoning but (and I'm not saying this obnoxiously) who do you think we should pick there?

As far as drafting Marshall goes, it's just like signing an undrafted free agent. He's a great talent and I think he's just a project pick.

I think Celestin has the potential to be better than Coleman since he is quicker. Coleman was late on a lot of coverages last year but I think it was disguised by bad throws to the quarterback. We'd still be using a similar system where both Celestin and Coleman got playing time though.

9. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I didn't even see that you still have Reed as a starter, why get a LB when a DT is by far the thing we need most on defense

10. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Its ain't bad.... but.........

I can't see drafting an LB that high or two WRs. The rest of it I like though.

11. Ten

Ten Active Member

Abe to Denver isn't a bad shout,they could use a good pass rusher and i'm sure they wouldn't mind giving up one of their 1st round picks for him.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Because a good linebacker can cover up a weakness at defensive tackle. Plus with the consideration of going to the 3-4 it works either way with Carpenter. That could be changed though to Claude Wroten or Kyle Williams. Even Jesse Mahelona even though I think he'll fall to the third.

13. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Although without the dline which we don't have right now the linebackers will be neutralized by olineman, and if we switch to a 3-4 we would be steamrolled by the opposing offense, much like we were steamrolled last year

14. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

without Abe Vilma will be blocked out of every play

15. Jonathan_Vilma

It's really a toss up pick. Reed didn't play that bad last year, it was the lack or production from Ellis and Robertson that killed us. And if we have three good linebackers like we would have with Carpenter, you can't block all three of them.

16. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

haha i love it

but seriously, not a bad overview

i still wish we gave all that money to abe instead of chad when we did

and i also think a veteran QB needs to be brought in to compete with whichever rookie we add and polly pocket brooks

17. genom

genom Active Member

Another year of Brooks Bollinger and Ced Houston starting scares me.

18. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Thats what we may be looking at, but if the Oline is in place, they might do better than you'd think.

19. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I like it all, though I would hang onto Chad and let Croyle and Brooks fight over the #2 spot, assuming Chad able to make a comeback. If Chad doens't restructure, we're going to make even more cuts than you show, and I don't think we'd be able to afford to sign two first rounders.

I have a feeling we're switching to the 3-4. So I'd trade in one of the WR's or the TE pick and go with a DT to push Pouha. Reed should be a backup at DE in the 3-4 with Ellis and Robertson starting. Ideally, we'd trade Robertson for something of value and start Thomas, but if he's here you have to start him. Robertson, Pouha, and Ellis would be a formidable DL if it works out.