Potential Coaching Candidates thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lupz27

Lupz27 New Member

Haley, or Shurmer are my 2 choices I'd pick from realistic candidates.

legler82, FJF and grkmanga31 like this.
  2. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

A lot of posters are missing the point. The point is....

ANYTHING is better than Toilet.

When your HC gets consistent comparisons/card stacking to RICH KOTITE, you know it's time to make change.

Getting rid of Toilet is addition by subtraction. The mere action of taking him away makes the Jets a better team. We can worry about the candidates later on, hell I'd be fine with making one of the assistants an interim HC for the sake of the rest of the season.

However, Mac is very much an accomplice in this as well. Toilet is terrible, yes. No doubt or argument here, but he does not have anything to work with? This team is at ground ZERO in regards to talent. Mac played his part and a decision would need to be made in regards to his future as well.....

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Sean Payton needs a change of scenery. And a young QB to start over with.

4. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Buy Jim Harbaugh or hire John Harbaugh if he gets fired.

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Without negotiation, the new head coach will have to be someone with a proven track record of developing successful NFL QBs.

If a candidate doesn't have direct, proven experience developing a QB, they need to have the name of someone they will appoint as OC and QB coach who does.

The days of focusing on defense need to end.

6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Sean Payton gonna be our Head Coach but he's gonna hire a crap DC.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Give me Payton and Drew Brees, as well as a franchise QB with the first overall pick, and two or three new offensive linemen with all that cap room we have. Adrenaline shot for the offense.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Payton would be an excellent option. Top choice.

Haley would be absolutely dreadful. A downgrade even.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Payton has done nothing since his superbowl run a half a decade ago. I don't know if its coaching, lack of talent or both. Granted, his offenses have been at the top 10 of the league, it seems like every year.

But defensively, there is a lot missing.

Haley has done great with Steelers, and has made that offense ridiculous, granted he does have some amazing pieces (Brown, LeVeon Bell, big ben).

If John Harbaugh gets fired, Ravens would be shooting themselves in the foot. He has done great with them and think that they have sucked because Joe Flacco is nothing more than an average QB who had 1 great postseason. His contract has hamstrung the Ravens.

10. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I would pass on him too. His reign in Houston isn't anything to write home too. He's had a good defenses and horrible offenses. Signed Osweiller to a huge contract only to dump him so soon. Plus he has ties to Hack and will want to keep him around in a kinda were getting the band back moment. Pass on him.

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I don't care what they do this offseason if removing Bowles isn't the first thing they do. It all starts with getting rid of him. He is suprressing all the talent on the team.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Pat Shurmur who may be an interesting HC candidate for us at the end of the year provided he can revamp Minnesota's O as many are projecting. Bradford has had his best seasons under Shurmur as QB Coach/OC. He is a well respected offensive mind who's good with young QBs. He is technically a retread having a cup of coffee with the Browns a few years back. The Browns did not have any talent back then; his QBs were Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace. Having prior HC experience even though unsuccessful should be a plus at least he won't have to learn all the operational stuff for the first time. If he wanted he could even retain Morton and Bates as OC and QB Coach as he is a WCO guy.

boozer32 likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I want a guy who has been a head coach before. Names you guys are throwing around like Haley, Payton, Shurmur I am all for those options, good call. I would kill for either Harbaugh though

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

yall want Greg Schiano? DAT RUTGERS PRIDE

SonofDinger likes this.
  16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I'm rooting for two things -- Saints to be bad enough to fire Payton (but not bad enough to draft ahead of us) and the Michigan Wolverines to win the national championship, giving us two elite options to choose from with a top pick and QB to work with.

17. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While I think Bowles should be fired right now, I don't think just putting a new HC in will be the total solution. The Jets need a complete revamping, beginning with a blueprint for how the team should look, an image, and "ground and pound" can't be it. Why not go with their heritage. and the logo on their helmets? Jets are fast and sleek and modern. The team should reflect that in how it operates, and the players and schemes it uses. They need to hire a Pres. of Football Ops first and foremost. If they get the right guy, maybe Macc could even be salvaged, if he's given a blueprint to operate from. And then hire a HC to implement it. I don't know who that Pres. might be, but IMO that has to be the first building block, and if he's available now and they can bring him on board, he can start the process immediately.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

here we go again with another list of unproven candidates to chose from that the Jets have already gone with since Al Groh...the more things change, the more they stay the same.. :p

20. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Just a thought but if Mac is retained, won't his draft/FA plan also account for who gets the HC job?

Let's say that the Jets have a top-5 pick but not the 1 or 2 and Mac wants to go with Lamar Jackson at QB. Wouldn't it make sense to get a Mike Shula, who's got experience working with and developing a similar QB talent? Similarly, if the Jets screw up the tank job and end up from 6-11, or end up getting a guy in the 2nd or 3rd like a Baker Mayfield, wouldn't a Darrel Bevell pairing make sense? (I'm not a fan of Bevell at all though.) Or if Mac goes with in house talent like Petty or Hackensack, maybe promoting John Morton makes some sense?

All I'm saying is that if they're investing a ton of time (i.e. tanking this season) to get a QB, they might as well pair it with a coach who can give the player a more-than-average chance at success.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.