Possible successor for Brick?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Jun 25, 2015.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Isaiah Battle will enter the supp. draft this year. Prototype left tackle, very athletic, only 280 pounds though at 6'7. Not quite the prospect Brick was but they are kind of similar. I think we could get him in the 4th round. Should we take a shot at him? The odds of landing a starting LT in the 4th round next year with the same pick are pretty slim.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...e-clemson-tigers-enter-nfl-supplemental-draft

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i suppose it's worth looking into...

would really have to investigate his background though..
    why is he really entering the supp? a pregnant girl doesn't seem like enough reason to me.
    also, what else has transpired in Clemson? the article mentions being cited by police for speeding and marijuana, and also punching a fellow teammate. red flags that would have to be looked into.

then there is the weight.
    like you mention, at 280, he isn't ready to play this year.
    we are already red shirting Harrison. how many guys on the line can we afford to red shirt?
    for every project we take on, another project needs to be cut.
    as it is, between Aboushi, Winters, Dozier and Freeman, 1 or 2 will be released. Adding Battle would mean cutting 2 for sure, while still retaining 10 Olineman, and likely cutting a player from another position to make the room.

it's a lot to consider.
    i wouldn't do a 4th...

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Id rather have P Diddy

Jets69 likes this.
  4. DaBallhawk

A bunch of red flags with him, he sounds like a bit of a headcase which is probably why he wants to enter the draft now. They're saying he slips one more time he's done at Clemson so I imagine he wants to play it safe. Sure, he could gamble. Bet on himself, stay out of trouble, play well, get picked in the 1st or 2nd round. But if one thing doesn't go as planned, if he doesn't play as well, if he gets hurt, if he screws up one more time, teams would probably remove him off their board. I'd give up a 4th or 5th round pick for him. Odds are that pick is gonna be somewhere in the 20s, mid 20s or later (hopefully). And he can get his feet wet this year and maybe be ready by next year if Brick slows down and has to be released (if he doesn't take a paycut).

5. DaBallhawk

Well, well. Sounds like he might be related to Josh Gordon.

http://theclemsoninsider.com/2015/06/25/battle-was-caught-with-simple-possession-of-marijuana

6. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Brick really struggled last year, he was hardly rated as a top 40 tackle by PFF. Here are his contract details for the next 2 years:
    2016: $14.107 cap figure, $5.014 dead money
    2017: $14.307 cap figure, $1.282 dead money

Those cap figures are way too high for a player who performed like he did last year; unless he rebounds in a big way this season he's either going to need to take a paycut or be shown the door. $5 mil in dead money for cutting him after this year is a lot, but it's better than paying $14 for a declining player. I'd rather take the hit and get a marginal young player on the cheap for the 2016 season.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Brick gave up 1 sack last season, the reason why he's low on that list is because of his run blocking, not pass blocking. It's meh at best. Brick is fine for a few more seasons. He should restructure his deal to retire as a Jet - so we can open up more cap space. He should not be cut unless we have a replacement.

If you want the run game to improve and open up more holes, upgrade the G positions.

8. Big Cat

We shouldn't be paying 17 million for 'meh'. It's not likes he's been horrific, but if he's getting a Revis-like cap hit he needs to give a Revis-like impact, which I don't think he's capable of doing at this stage of his career.

9. dawggjet

dawggjet Member

How much of his alleged poor play had to with poor G and QB play?

Br4d and stinkyB like this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

IDK where you are getting 17M - he has a 11M cap hit this season ... regardless, like I said in my previous post - he should get a restructure next off-season and should retire as a Jet. He is an excellent pass-protector still.

Good amount IMO.

DaBallhawk likes this.
  11. DaBallhawk

I don't really pay attention to PFF when it comes to grading blockers since they don't have any idea what to look for or what they're talking about. Brick was rock solid as a pass protector. I guess as a run blocker he could be better but he's a pass blocker, that's why we drafted him. People point to certain "struggles", like when he gives up a sack. A lot of it is just poor pocket awareness by Geno, running around in the pocket, getting happy feet, dropping back too far and so on, poor guard play by Winters. Brick himself looked rock solid. He doesn't get beat. Well, barely. Watching Gamepass I can't find any footage on Brick really getting his ass handed to him. He's not perfect, neither is Joe Thomas. Is he a top 3 tackle? No. But he's far from bad or even average. Still, we have to re-do his deal after the season if he doesn't perform at a high level. If he does he might be worth the money for one more year if the cap space is there. And with Carp next to him and a more experienced Geno at the helm I think it's not gonna make him look as bad this year. Winters even managed to drag Mangold down with him because of how terrible he was and how much help he needed. What a mess he was...

12. Big Cat

The 17 mil is for 2016, I'm not insinuating that anything needs to be done before this season.

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

it's 14m in 2016.
    and 5M of it is dead money. so essentially we are paying him 9M in 2016.

there is nothing you can do about the past restructures at this point, as those were done to help us at that point in time.
    9M is the key number on making any decision on Brick in 2016.

14. Big Cat

The article I was looking at said 17m/5 dead but spotrac has the numbers you said. Hopefully 14/5 are the actual numbers, easier to stomach.

15. agilic

agilic Member

I am of the belief that management is planning on likely having to replace both starting tackle spots after this year. Unless Brick or Breno come through with a big season, OR L. Williams busts, I could see them dangling Mo Wilk either for an established starting LT or for a first rounder and we draft two tackles.

Unless Brick really declines this year, I prefer drafting and letting the guy either sit for a year to learn from Brick, or play the right side as a rookie and then take over the left in 2017.

16. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Brick's cap implications for the next two years (2016 and 2017) are as follows:
    -2016 he has a non-guaranteed salary of $8.625 mm, a roster bonus of $1 mm, and workout bonus of $.75 mm. This means he's due a total of $10.375 mm in cash once 2016 rolls around. There is also a $3.732 mm prorated bonus, which means he's already received that cash in the past, but it will go against our cap in 2016 no matter what for a combined cap hit of $14.107 mm in 2016.

-2017 he has a non-guaranteed salary of $11.275 mm, a roster bonus of $1 mm, and a workout bonus of $.75 mm. This totals $13.025 that Brick is due in cash in 2017. For 2017, there is a prorated bonus of $1.282 mm, so his total cap hit equals $14.307 mm.

If we were to cut Brick before June 1 in 2016, the prorated bonus' for both of the remaining contract seasons would be charged against our 2016 cap, while his entire 2016 salary, and roster/workout bonus' for 2016 (totaling $10.375 mm) would be off the books. I'm not sure of the exact dates of the roster bonus etc, but that will dictate the cut deadline more specifically.

What you have to look at as far as the question "Is Brick worth it in 2016?" you have to look at that $10.375 mm number, and the answer is no he isn't. He is still pretty good though, and If Brick and the Jets are smart, they'll guarantee him some cash over the next two years to reduce his overall salary.

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The jets were top 5 running the ball last year and top 10 the year before, Genos poor QB play makes everyone else look bad, however I do understand the financial part of this equation, my question is, if we had a better QB, would we still like brick to restructure or would we be happy as fans, seeing him get that kind of money?

18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

19. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

We should take a flyer in a 5th round pick for him. To many trouble areas and too raw to give anymore more than a 4th.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

When we drafted Brick I recall he was a gangly, tall, skinny kid who couldn't put on weight. Took him about 3 years to fill out. I think he came in at 270-280