Poor running game spells disaster for Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Nov 5, 2018.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Every game Sam has played well we ran the ball well. The past 3 weeks we haven't had a good running game & Sam has not played well at all. Why....1) no running game means 3rd and long. 2) when the defense doesn't fear the run, play action won't work & they drop back in coverage, which means 3) cover sacks, interceptions.

There was only 1 throw Sam made to a receiver that was open vs. Miami, to Herndon. Receivers aren't getting open. Sam has to force throws into tight windows. It makes me sick when I see how open receivers get for other teams, and the protection the QB'S get, ala Goff, Drew, Mahomes. Brady, etc.
    Sam maybe going through the growing pains of a rookie, but without a good supporting cast of, players, CS, play calling, it's going to be a long road for Sam.

Acad23, Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I have always been a Bowles supporter but I am now leaning towards a reload of the coaching staff. Not so much that Bowles has not improved the team but just due to the fact that this team needs a reload in all phases of the CS. You can bet that Sam would be the ROY if he was playing on KC . We need a offensive guru with a scheme to put a spark in the offense. Rite now the offensive scheme doesn't put fear in oppositions defence. I sit & watch the game & I can almost always predict pass or run. We're not fooling anyone with our play calling. Yes we lack tallent, but I think this zone running scheme is not helping.

3. The whole offense is designed for the run to set up the pass.W subpar talent & a rookie QB,if the core principle isnt effective, an offense w this personnel structure is gonnna struggle mightily.

That said i think Darnold is better suited for an entire different outlook all together.He needs an up tempo offene w more creativity & aggression.In other words the pass setting up the run. Bowles is not the HC for this philosophy

4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

McGuire looked good out there, why not use him more? On the plays he didnt get completely stuffed, he seemed to have took it for a first down or near a first down. The rest of the running game stuff is on the o-line which I dont know how much we can do about that.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well right now, other teams are daring him to beat them with his arm, and he just doesn't have the weapons (or play calling) to do that. With a whole different coaching philosophy and the supporting cast, yes, he would do much better in an up-tempo, pass-first offense. For now though, they need to get the running game going, but to do that requires them to resort to some trickery and mis-direction, and for god's sakes, some damn play action!

Trainer and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Wow ..a Fan board that actually has a better game plan than Bates and Toilet

Pathetic ...we are the laughing stock of the NFL and all the talking heads on cable

7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

As to the bolded portion, go back and watch the highlights. There are open receivers on most of the throws but Darnold was throwing to his first read , covered or not. He had a bad game. I honestly think he was trying to do too much. But there were plenty of missed opportunities.

8. Teams are playing zone which Darnold can beat if he has time (see Indy/Denver) but when hes under pressure and/or we arent running the ball the DL can pin their ears back which disrupts Sam’s progressions & his footwork.He gets happy feet,doesnt throw w a good base & therefore cant drive the ball accurately as necessary against zone. What the zone also negates is his ability to create outside the pocket bc they are face up to everything.

However,if jets at least had acouple good short area receivers they could play up tempo,quick passing game w slants/crossers/curls/screens and the like till the defense was forced to play something different which would play right into sam’s big play ability

ColoradoContrails and Trainer like this.
  9. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

This.
    This is where I am completely dumbfounded. If your QB has no time to throw downfield and your running game is flat, then you MUST develop a short passing game to compensate.

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

What drives me crazy is that Bowles said that Sam needs to "play within the system".

Hey Todd...the system sucks.

8 games in and this coaching staff can't figure out how to get a 1st down.

They can systematically suck my dick.

Metaphorically speaking of course.

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

If they ran the ball more, they wouldn't have to long snap it as much.

Hey...I got an idea.

We line up a running back on each side of Sam in the shotgun formation.

Whoever the ball gets snapped closest to does something with it.

We'll call it the "Random Wildcat"...

It'll confuse the fuck out of everybody.

johnny, Watkin and ColoradoContrails like this.