POLL : Your choice for next Jets Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 5, 2018.

?

What would you prefer?

1. An ex NFL Head Coach

39.2%
  2. Current NFL Offensive Coordinator with no prior HC experience

43.3%
  3. Current NFL Defensive Coordinator with no prior HC experience

2.1%
  4. Current College Head Coach with zero NFL experience

15.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like the list of potential HC candidates below, except I'd remove Josh McDaniels and Bruce Arians. I like Arians a lot, but he's retired, and is friends with Bowles, so I don't think he'd unretire to take the job of his friend. I'm not sure that Riley is ready for the NFL or that he would leave Oklahoma to come to the Jets.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/12-coaches-the-jets-could-target-if-they-fire-todd-bowles/300283964

12 coaches the Jets could target if they fire Todd Bowles
    Including both Harbaugh brothers
    By Ralph Vacchiano

John DeFilippo, Vikings offensive coordinator
    The Jets have long had an interest in their former quarterbacks coach (2009). In fact, they tried to interview him for their offensive coordinator job in 2017 before they settled on John Morton, but the Eagles blocked him. The 40-year-old is one of the hottest names on the market due to what he did with Carson Wentz as the quarterbacks coach the last two seasons.

Dan Campbell, Saints tight ends coach/assistant head coach
    The former Giants tight end is a top lieutenant for Sean Payton in New Orleans, and is a favorite of Bill Parcells, for whom he played in Dallas. Those are two great mentors. He also knows New York and was a popular, tough-as-nails figure here, albeit on the other side of town.

Chris Peterson, University of Washington head coach
    One of the NCAA's brightest offensive minds, he got on the NFL's radar by turning Boise State into a nationally-ranked program. Then he took over the Washington Huskies and in three years rebuilt them into a playoff team. The only question seems to be whether he wants to leave the West Coast.

Matt LaFleur, Titans offensive coordinator
    The high-powered offense with the Los Angeles Rams may belong to their whiz-kid coach, Sean McVay, but LaFleur was his offensive coordinator last season after spending three years as the quarterbacks coach in Atlanta, helping turn Matt Ryan into an MVP. The 38-year-old hasn't found much success with the Titans, but he doesn't have the right quarterback at the moment either.

Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma University head coach
    He may have inherited a strong program from Bob Stoops, but the Sooners are still 20-3 under his direction, and they lost in the College Football Playoff semifinals in double overtime last year. Baker Mayfield obviously thrived under his direction (including two years as offensive coordinator). He's only 35. Of course, McVay is only 32.

Eric Bieniemy, Chiefs offensive coordinator
    The former NFL running back doesn't call the plays in Kansas City, and that will hurt him. Most of the credit for that offense and the development of Patrick Mahomes will go to Andy Reid (and his departed offensive coordinator, Matt Nagy). But he's considered a rising star and obviously must have learned a lot in his six years on Reid's staff.

Josh McDaniels, Patriots offensive coordinator
    Despite backing out on the Indianapolis Colts last winter and all the baggage he carries, he is likely to remain one of the most sought-after offensive minds in the NFL coaching ranks. One caveat, though: As a Bill Belichick assistant, there's no way he comes to the Jets. Right?

David Shaw, Stanford head coach
    He's a former NFL assistant who has had a wonderful run at Stanford, including as the offensive coordinator under Jim Harbaugh. He was instrumental in the development of Andrew Luck. However, he has resisted NFL overtures in the past, and some in the NFL don't believe he'd want to leave.

John Harbaugh, Ravens head coach
    He's had a successful 11-year run with the Baltimore Ravens that includes a Super Bowl championship (over his brother's 49ers. With Eric DeCosta set to take over for Ozzie Newsome as GM after the season, word is the Ravens could be looking for a fresh start. He may be a friendlier version of his brother, but he'd bring discipline to this team.

Bruce Arians, former Cardinals coach
    At 66, he's probably not the fresh, young voice everyone wants, but he's a brilliant offensive mind who has had a lot of success as an offensive coordinator and three brilliant years as head coach in Arizona, including a trip to the NFC championship game with Carson Palmer at quarterback. His likeable, media-friendly personality is a plus. He's retired, though, and said the only job he'd unretired for is the Cleveland Browns.

Mike McCarthy, Packers head coach
    Rumored to be on his way out in Green Bay unless he can finally get his Aaron Rodgers-led team back to the Super Bowl, the 54-year-old might seem like an odd fit in New York, personality-wise. But he's had a successful run with the Packers, won a Super Bowl and helped turn Rodgers into the best quarterback in the NFL not named Tom Brady.

Jim Harbaugh, University of Michigan head coach
    He remains the big fish in the pool, which is probably just how he likes it. His high-tension tenure in Michigan always seems from a far like it's on the verge of ending, and he undoubtedly still has some unfinished business in the NFL after falling just short of a championship (by losing to his brother) in San Francisco. But there's no way he's going anywhere without decision-making power, which means he'd only be a candidate in New York if GM Mike Maccagnan goes too.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  2. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Think this is a pretty decent list to start off. I definitely agree with removing McDaniels from this list, don't want any part of him. I would welcome Arians, but like you said there's no chance he comes to replace Bowles with their friendship. (No clue if he would want to come as HC if we could move Bowles to DC but anyways that's completely unrealistic imo).

I don't think theres any chance Petersen leaves UW this off-season with that coveted Georgia QB transfer over along with their LT saying that he's returning next year (or so I've heard). Think they might have a good shot at making the CFB playoff next year but like with Jim H whether they will be able to overcome the powerhouse that is Alabama, anything could be possible.

I think Riley & Shaw also both stay with their respective colleges... Riley I think would want to stay at OU for a few more years, and if not I'm pretty certain he'd rather coach Baker again in Cleveland or jump to be the Cowboys HC. Shaw seems more realistic for me, but it seems like he's had the chances to jump to the NFL and hasn't really taken them.

As you and many others on here know, DeFilippo is my top choice (if John H doesn't leave Baltimore). LaFleur is an interesting name for sure, with all of his offensive connections. will be interesting to see how Mariota fares the rest of the season.

I don't particularly know much about either Bieniemy or Campbell so I'll have to research them further.

In the end, the only thing that matters is that we get an offensive mind to replace Bowles if/when he gets fired.

almbleamal and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

It’s DeFilippo Or bust! we need a offensive guy no more d coordinators! We need a pass rusher on d that’s really it some quality depth otherwise we are a solid defense. Not the best but a top 10 defense. Our offense is putrid at best. Except for Herndon McGuire and maybe canton who else’s on our offense do we really trust?. Those three are kids and have showed promise yet our starters are terrible, the fact we could of gotten a 3rd for Robbie and said no is terrible, he’s a one trick pony. Skinny as a tooth pick can’t run slants or over the middle. Enunwa is a beas when healthy but he had neck surgery and missed two game shots this yr already. Our entire o line no one in the nfl would trade for. We need to draft and sign offense for Sam. Nothing else nothing more.

4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

My preference is to hire someone who is already an HC. Our last two HCs have been over-promoted coordinators, both of whom would have been brilliant DCs for the Jets. Get me an existing HC who has previous as an OC.

5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Bieniemy is a first year coordinator and doesn't call plays. Far from a HC candidate at this point in his career.
    I get wanting to poach from KC but the guy to look at there is Dave Toub. KCs special teams coordinator and assistant HC, not Bieniemy.

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

While I agree with the Harbaughs and McCarthy, I can’t believe we are still sleeping on Babers.

I’ve never seen a Syracuse team this sound in all phases of the game. Guy coached Garoppolo in college too.

But yes, I agree, the Jets will need the position vacant sooner than later to get “their guy”.

7. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

if the cowboys fire Jason G do we go after him ??

8. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

noooooooooooooooo

abc, Leicester Jet, jetfan59 and 2 others like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

*Proceeds to throw up*

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Toub intrigues me a lot. He's been part of some of the best special teams in league history (Bears and Chiefs). He's an assistant head coach right now as well, I wonder what kind of O / D he would run and what staff he would bring in. He would value the entire roster as a whole

abc, TonyFtLaud and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

There will be a massive spike of jumpers from the GWB. Garrett is AWFUL, just as bad as Bowles.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

OH HELL NO

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think John Harbaugh and McCarthy are going to be seriously in play if they leave leave their respective positions as expected. I’m concerned Garrett will be a serious candidate too. I don’t think any of the college coaches are are realistic possibilities although I’d offer the keys to Jim Harbaugh.

If we go the unproven coordinator route again it’s Difillipo or bust as far as I’m concerned. Lefleur is intriguing but Tennessee is not exactly tearing it up so I’m a bit concerned he’s living off the genius of McVay and Shanahan.

In the end I’d probably prefer to roll the dice with Difillipo.

14. Benny the Jet

Benny the Jet Active Member

Here's a question...why doesn't Pete Carmichael (Saints OC) ever get any consideration?? Personally I'd kick the tires and see what's going on there. I totally get that he really has no function in the Saints offense being that Sean Payton calls all the plays, but he's been there for almost 10 years and has been witness to one of the most innovative offenses in the NFL over the past decade. Yes, having Drew Brees helps to make any offence look good, but you'd have to imagine that simply working side by side with Payton and Brees has taught him how to run a team and an offense...

TonyFtLaud, FJF and HomeoftheJets like this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

John Harbaugh is better than McCarthy. Though if we go with Harbaugh we need a good OC, my concern with Harbaugh is Darnold's development.

16. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

The biggest red flag for DeFilippo is that he was Sanchez's QB Coach in 2009.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

In college, Jason Garrett was the starting quarterback for Princeton when they lost to Columbia, which had lost its previous 500 or something games. This guy has loser in his DNA.

He'd fit right in with the Jets.

FJF and TonyFtLaud like this.
  18. TonyFtLaud

He is very well respected and liked amongst his peers. I think he would have a very good choice of assistants.
    Have to think he would look for a creative OC as he has been tired to Reid for quite some time . He's also been known to be pretty creative himself. Thinking back to the bears with Hester.

abc likes this.
  19. TonyFtLaud

Arians just said that the only team he would consider coaching is the Cleavland Browns. Are the Jets the least appealing team/ job in the league?

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000984912/article/bruce-arians-id-only-come-out-of-retirement-for-browns?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url=story&zoneKeys=s1=story&env=&pageKeyValues=prtnr=fresh-off-the-wire;team=ind;team=atl;conf=afc;conf=nfc;dvsn=acs;dvsn=ncs&p.ct=Fresh+off+the+Wire&p.adsm=true&p.tcm=#000&p.bgc1m=#EAEAEA&sr=amp

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm about the most patient, forgiving, pansy of a fan there is and I really wanted Bowles to succeed but I have to say even I've given up. I haven't seen one shred of evidence that he's a big time coach or even a solid league average one for that matter. And of all the damning ways to look at it I think maybe the worst for me is that he's got a reputation of being some brilliant defensive mind, has now had more than enough time to sculpt the personnel the way he wants it and I'm just not seeing how the Jets defense as having much of a "wow" factor at all.

And when you take into consideration all the resources spent on it at the expense of the offense, plus the reputation of the coach..... failure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.