POLL : Your choice for next Jets Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 5, 2018.

?

What would you prefer?

1. An ex NFL Head Coach

39.2%
  2. Current NFL Offensive Coordinator with no prior HC experience

43.3%
  3. Current NFL Defensive Coordinator with no prior HC experience

2.1%
  4. Current College Head Coach with zero NFL experience

15.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

John DeFilippo

2. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Kliff Kingsbury

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

DeFilippo, Harbaugh, or Riley please. No more defensive minded head coaches who live in the 1980s.0

dogg, CotcheryFan and dawinner127 like this.
  4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I liked O Brien before this year. Did a lot to even be mediocre with some bad teams (made the playoffs with Brock Fucking Osweiler) but he’s done a bad job this year. Also saddled with a horrendous oline though.

5. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I haven't checked the poll results, but I'm going to guess that current NFL DC is winning in a landslide.

6. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Defilippo, that is all...

7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Harbaugh

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Hire Polian as President and let him build the thing. If he doesn't want to come on full-time then just offer him a ton of money as a consultant to build the franchise the right way. These amateurs like Mac and Idzik belong in a basement with a red stapler. Not GM material.

FJF likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That would be a huge mistake. Bill Polian is senile and has lost whatever ability he had to find talent. His last several years with the Colts were a disaster. He then insisted that they hire his son when he stepped down, and I think his son was a disaster too.

I understand why you would want him. At one time he was the best. He built the Panthers and the Bills, I believe, but that day has passed. He is 75 years old. Even if he was still sharp, it would be our luck, that he'd be on the job 2 weeks and then drop dead.

10. BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46 Active Member

what about picking off of the Andy Reid tree??? Dude has groomed some pretty successful offensive-minded coaches. Even though that Eagles team last year was one of the luckiest and most mediocre teams to ever win a Super Bowl, you can't deny that Pederson has had some success an Nagy appears to be on the verge of turning the Bears around, so why not get whatever young offensive mind Andy Reid is currently grooming?

Cman68 likes this.
  11. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Harbaugh has to be #1. There's a chance he'd bring Hamilton with him, which is a major plus. (Luck grew under his direction.) I'd take Tomlin, too. SB pedigree, and can assemble/manage a staff and the game. (After this off-season, I wouldn't be surprised if he walked and wanted to work with a new front office.)

Coordinators are tough. The only ones that I'd look at are offensive. DeFilippo has already been mentioned. Depending upon how things work out, LaFleur (of the Rams/Titans) could be worth a look. He'd be a longshot. Of course, McDaniels would be worth a look. (Last week, someone mentioned Whaley as a GM that might do better with another shot. I think that's definitely true of McDaniels in coaching. He's likely waiting for the Patsy's gig though.) Carmichael would be the last coordinator I'd interview. He's been with Payton a long time and must have learned something.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Harbaugh, DeFillipo, Riley, or Kingsbury

As one can see, I'm not opposed to a first timer as long as he's an offensive guy and has groomed a QB before. I'm also open to a college HC with no NFL HC experience as long as he's shown he can develop a QB.

dogg and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

DeFillipo is likely the hottest name out in regards to offensive coordinators here. He'd likely be #1 on a lot of people's lists.

Matt LaFleur is an under the radar one, he was in the room for some of the more prolific offenses in the last 5 years, including the Falcon teams and Skins. He's currently in Tennessee right now.

Also anyone off the Chiefs and now Rams tree will get a look too but remember, I do know McVay calls plays for the Rams so it will be tough to try a Rams guy when he doesn't have a "OC".

Eric Bieniemy is in his first year as Chiefs OC, He likely may need more time before having HC status even with the super hot start.

14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I have been calling for Haley for a few years now!

FJF likes this.
  15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Gimme Jim Harbaugh.

He instantly turned around a laughingstock in SF which immediately went back to being a laughingstock as soon as he left.

dogg likes this.
  16. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Harbaugh is 10 times more a douchbag than Haley.

wampa and FJF like this.
  17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

DeFillipo and Toub are the two intriguing names out there. Harbaugh's not coming to the Jets. He knows better. This job will most likely garner the attention of a first time NFL HC or someone like Haley who wasn't a successful HC in his first stint and wants a chance to prove himself.

TonyFtLaud and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  18. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Current College HC with NFL HC experience.

Answer: Jim Harbaugh

dogg likes this.
  19. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

Frankly, I care more about the individual selected than the specific background really illustrates as a poll-option.

Considering how he's done at Michigan, I'm extremely hesitant on Harbaugh. Might be the current most overrated coach in CFB. It has not been an impressive performance for him in his Michigan tenure, despite some very strong recruiting classes. Haven't even made the college football playoff. He's on the coaching hot seat considering the team's previous underperformance versus expectations. He's an excellent recruiter, sure. But he hasn't shown the ability to groom another QB since he returned to the college game.

If I got to pick in the best of all possible worlds? Lure Bruce Arians out of retirement. Absolutely aggressive and offensive-minded former NFL HC, incredibly insightful.

If we're going with a college-guy, Lincoln Riley is probably the brightest offensive mind in the college world at the moment, but I'll freely admit his lack of relative NFL experience does scare me. There's also David Shaw at Stanford, who has 9 years of experience as an NFL assistant though he hasn't been a NFL HC.

Just, for the love of god, not Jeff Fisher.

#39 wampa, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    KurtTheJetsFan and KWJetsFan like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Perhaps, I'm mistaken, but who are the great offensive players that Harbaugh has recruited to Michigan? He's had some good defensive prospects, but I can't think of a single Michigan offensive player drafted high over the last several years. The thing is, Harbaugh is a proven NFL HC. I don't care if he's been mediocre at the collegiate level. It's a different game, and the deck is stacked against the Big 10 in terms of recruiting. Ohio St. manages to get some very good to great players, but most of the better players are going to the SEC and even the ACC.

I'd love Arians, but with his health issues, he isn't coming out of retirement to coach the Jets, particularly after his good friend Bowles had just been fired by the Jets.

I think that Lincoln Riley has a great future ahead of him, but quite likely it will all be at the collegiate level at Oklahoma. I think it's way premature to even consider him for an NFL HC job.

You didn't mention him, but similarly, I don't get the love for DeFilippo by others. Wentz was a great player coming out of college. He has a lot of experience as a QB Coach, and I love that, but this is only DeFilippo's second year as OC and calling plays in the NFL, and he only has one year of OC experience at the collegiate level, otherwise, he's just been a QB Coach. In another year or two, I think he'll be a great HC prospect, but I'm not sure he's ready to take on a rebuilding team and have it competitive his first year as a HC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.