Poll time: Guess the starter!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Aug 30, 2017.

?

Guess the starter

Poll closed Sep 6, 2017.
  1. McCown

63.6%
  2. Hackenberg

13.6%
  3. Petty

22.7%
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

It's gonna be up in the air, Bowles is holding out until the last minute for some unknown reasons but lets look at what we've seen so far

McCown - by far has the most experience, but also is old not a long term solution and at best a low tier starting QB in the NFL. The argument with McCown is that he likely gives us the best chance to win now over petty and hack. He got a majority of reps in training camp, but towards the end not as many leading us to believe he may not be the choice, He's also barely played in preseason, but he did look good in the limited time. In his 1 drive he went 3/4 72 yards and a TD with the main highlight being a perfectly placed 53 yard bomb to anderson.

Petty - Is probably the hardest to gauge, he got the least reps in camp, however almost as much gametime as hack in preseason. He's also outperformed hack in preseason by alot boasting a 106 QB rating to hacks 65. Game 3 was the biggest for him including an 85 yard pass to powell but it was realistically a good playcall that he threw a 10-15 yard pass and powell did the rest he threw 3TDs to 1 INT and a 66% completion percentage. he completed as man passes as hack in preseason but 160 more yards worth. hack was dink and dunk and petty actually stretched the field. Now the downside, he isn't playing against starters or complex defenses, in his actual NFL gametime he hasn't looked very good at all. Most scouts put him as a career backup for his ceiling. He is in his final year of his rookie contract and hasn't shown he can be the franchise QB. Also he got banged up in last weeks game and is likely not going to play or be ready to play for game 4 of the pre-season. He may not even be ready for week 1 even if he was to win the job. Realistically speaking he could be the opening day starter, or he could be the 3rd QB and not even active for game 1. Really hard to judge

Hackenberg - The choice the fans want to see. We literally have no idea what to expect. He played OK in preseason in some safe gameplans and got the 2nd most reps in camp and the most in preseason, but he also didn't do a lot with it. especially in game 3 which he started and threw 2 pick 6s, although the 2nd one is hard to blame on hack. he finished with 1TD 2 INTs and a 66 QB rating. not very good. he also failed to lead us to points very often, something both petty and McCown did. his longest pass was only 20 yards compared to the other 2 which both had over 50 yard completions. So why is he even an option? well 1st off we know the jets aren't going anywhere this season and hack is still a 2nd round pick going into year 2 with 2 years left on his deal. As of the start of 2018 offseason he is the only QB who will be on the roster. The Jets also need to decide if they are going to draft a QB with their top pick. It's going to be a hard decision without knowing what they truly have in hack. Him starting can go 1 of 2 ways. 1st way is he sucks, we tank and know he isn't out future but he get a high pick out of it and can draft a QB in what is going to be a great class. The 2nd option is he plays great and we can continue to develop him into our franchise QB. as far as the medium ground goes it's not really any loss or gain either way.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What fans want to see Hack start? He obviously isn't ready, and would likely wind up getting hurt or getting one or more of the WRs hurt. He could break Genos record for pick 6s with the way he locks onto receivers.

Besides. Bowles has already announced that McCown is the starter. Bowles is undecided on the backup. Have you been in a coma the last week?

#2 NCJetsfan, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  3. GasedAndConfused

well i was away for a bit but from i can see it was announced yesterday so shit lol. Figured there would be a post here if he made an announcement.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

1. Petty is the choice the fans want to see.
    2. We literally have no idea what to expect? Are you smoking something good? If so I want some.

In reality we expect Hackenberg = Hindenberg.

[​IMG]

5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

If you're all in on the tank you want to see Hack start

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not sure there is a bad choice if you are in on the tank

Jets69, HomeoftheJets and Jake like this.
  7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Am I missing something didn't he pick McClown 3 days ago, wtf is this?

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Yup, and I still got it wrong

matt robinson 17 and Jets69 like this.
  9. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Four quarters of Hack!

We can't risk our starter with McCown and we can't risk out good backup in Petty getting any more hurt.

10. I wouldn't mind seeing Hack..I want to see how he handles the surrounding cast being overmatched.Does he keep the team focused?Does he learn from his mistakes?does he show command?etc

The WCO can be played in a manor that puts a QB in optimal situations to succeed w little decision making required.of course at some point in the game Hack would need to make some plays on his own & not turn the ball over.

I still wanna see this OL using real time protection packages & a legit gameplan before I crucify them.If they be quick out of their stance & contain the initial surge w a clean pocket we'll still be able to execute a quick passing attack.

Troy Aikman & Peyton Manning both went 1-15 & got destroyed behind horrid OLs..they proved to be bigger than it..I wanna see if Hack can be bigger than it & not surrender or get hurt

FJF likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

That's the only reason for saying he should start. He's young, has talent and could still develop. Even if he winds up not being the Jets' starting QB, if he develops, the Jets could still conceivably wind up trading him for a 2nd or 1st round draft pick. If he is thrown to the wolves by starting, he will likely have zero chance of developing, as will our WRs and TEs this season. He is likely to get hurt, one or more of the receivers hurt, and see his confidence shredded.

IMO it's not worth that risk. The chances are very high that even if McCown or Petty start and play well, the Jets will still have the #1 or at worst, #2 pick.

12. NCJetsfan

I understand where you're coming from, but I think his confidence took a real hit as PSU, and he still doesn't look very confident. Aikman and Manning didn't get pounds or have their confidence hurt in college, I think both were the top pick in the draft, and so it was only a one-year thing for them. I think it would lead to the demise of whatever chances Hack had of developing.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

McClown. I called it, and I still stand by it. 1 more journeyman to hold the fort wouldn't hurt.

And Macc had better get the OL unfucked by this spring. [Or else.]

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Looks like their plan is to start Josh and give Hack more time before moving him under center.....probably during the bye.

IF the Jets are the 2017 miracle team and Josh is 6-2, then Bowles HAS to stay with Josh.

More likely we are 2-6 (right on track for the Suck for Sam bowl), fans will be calling for a new QB. Hack will get the nod and Mac will have half a season to see what Hack can do before the 2018 draft.

15. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Josh McCown is the starter.

16. GasedAndConfused

No way we pick 1st. last year was a shitshow and we still picked 6th. the browns are worse then us and are starting a rookie QB. we'll pick top 5, but i can't see 1 or 2.

17. NCJetsfan

I disagree. The Browns are not worse than us. They finally have a good GM who has been putting together a good roster. If what one poster said is true, they have one of the best OLs in the NFL. They have a better RB than we do in Crowell. They have a good young D. They have a much better HC than we do, and he knows how to groom/handle QBs. They could and probably should have won 3-4 games last season. Depending upon their schedule, I could see the Browns winning at least that many, if not 5-6 games this season, depending upon how Kizer or their other QBs play. They only lost by 3 points to the Steelers in January. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but they've won all 3 of their preseason games this season. They held the Giants to 6 points, the Bucs to 9, and the Saints to 14. They play us, the Jaguars and the Chargers this season. They also play the Bears. There's 4 games right there. If they can beat the Steelers once, and then either the Titans, Vikings or the Ravens once, they could have 6 wins. Unless our OL shapes up, we'll be lucky to have any wins, and look to have at most 2-3 wins.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That rookie might be better than anyone the Jets have. Browns are better. We will be fighting with the 49ers for the top pick. Browns could win 4 or 5 games this year and if Kizer shows promise they won't draft a qb

19. GasedAndConfused

No way man. Their o-line isn't very good, not sure where that came from. Crowell is not good either. i'd take powell over him anyday. Their WRs are bad too only having pryor that is worth a dam. and his numbers were inflated by volume. Plus their defense isn't good either. and they are starting a rookie QB.

20. GasedAndConfused

We'll see soon enough won't we ;)