Please help with Roughing the passer rule?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wildaces, Sep 26, 2011.

1. wildaces

wildaces Banned

The Raiders were backed up in their own endzone, and it was 3rd down I believe. Wilkerson got pressure, and pushed Campbell after he threw the ball. Which drew a roughing the passer penalty. I snapped after that call, but that is besides the point.

On 3 different occasions that I can remember, Sanchez was hit in the head with a hand.

When they thought he broke his nose
    When they tried tearing his helmet off on a sack
    When he was *tripped up* before his 2nd TD run

I am not trying to say why this is why we lost, or didn't lose. I am genuinely asking how they can call that one on Wilkerson, but not any of the ones on Sanchez.

Only 1 game, and not at our best.

2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

The more i thought of it today,the calls were fuckin horribly favored and definetly a factor. The deciding factor? Maybe maybe not. IMO the momentum shifted with the Mcfadden td run,which followed a bs call changing 3rd and long to 1st and 10. had it been 3rd and long as it should have been,raiders call a different play. Still,Jets were ahead and didn't respond.

3. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I didn't watch every minute of the game, and don't recall most of the plays that you pointed out above. However, based on what you wrote alone, my guess is simply that the refs were paying more attention to what happened to the QB after the whistle than what happened during the course of play.

It sounds like all of those plays on Sanchez happened while he was still trying to make a play. Not saying those aren't penalties, but sometimes that shit just doesn't get called the way late hits do.

4. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I can agree with that. I can even agree with they aren't roughing the passer. On the one he broke his nose on, could have been called a facemask. The one where they tried tearing his helmet off could have been a face mask or even a horse collar.

Again, I don't want to come off as that is why we lost. I don't see how an officiating crew that is supposed to be looking for this stuff can be missed on three different occasions. IMO they were blatant, especially considering the shove to Campbell call. (Literally a shove, and didn't even move Campbell)

5. wildaces

wildaces Banned

That was the holding call on Cro i Believe.

6. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

You also forgot Moss slamming into Sanchez 2 steps after the ball was realesed. That crew sucked ass. They nearly cost the Raiders a shot at the FG before the half when the dumb bastard fell trying to spot the ball. I'm all for fairness and they should have called an officials timeout to spot the ball after the guy tripped.

7. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

Easily on the take. Fairly lopsided game.

8. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

That roughing the passer call made me want to vomit. The league has become overly sensitive and it really is a shame.
    Next year they'll say you can no longer bump the receiver.
    Year after that it'll be 'no more blitzing the QB'.
    Year after that it'll be no more than 1 defensive linemen allowed on the line.
    The year after that one it will be no defensive line period, QB will get a 7 mis. count and if the ball is not out his hands, its a "sack".

Ok I realize much of that is an extreme stretch, but come on man! It seemed as though they threw that intentional grounding flag as a means to counter the ridiculous flag they threw on Wilk. I don't even recall Campbell falling off his feet, the guy got brushed!

9. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Even if it got that bad,they need to call it fairly for both teams. Which they clearly did not yesterday

10. DETlions2011

DETlions2011 Banned

That rule definitely needs to be fixed.

11. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Agreed.

The thing that bothers me the most about the roughing the passer rule is that it's never called equally. As much of a bitch as Michael Vick sounded like after the Eagles loss yesterday, he has a very valid complaint: he was getting crushed after almost every throw, and he didn't get a single flag. Meanwhile, Campbell got tapped by Wilkerson and it cost the Jets 15 yards.

This is what happens when a rule is poorly defined: the officials don't know how to call it, so they do it very inconsistently. The exact same thing happens with the "Calvin Johnson Rule."

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I didn't read all this thread, but the more prominent a QB is, the more likely the Refs will protect him.

Brady? Manning? Don't even think of breathing on them or you'll get the flag.

Sanchez? Hey, the NFL needs at least SOME highlights of QB's getting squashed.

Mark's time will come, but he has to earn it over time.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

And that's the biggest issue.

These rules change on an annual basis, which gives the officials no time to get used to calling the new rule and allow them to learn when to call it, and when it should be let go.

They have 16 games to get used to a new rule, and then something is tweaked the next season, and then have to adjust yet again. Its bullshit.

They may be professionals, but they're human. They're going to need to adapt too, and they can only see it happen with live play. They can't get it simulated on QBs at practices - QBs don't get hit in practice. So they have nothing but pre-season and regular season to go on.

Its such a fucked situation. This league fucking blows.

14. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

That third one isn't a penalty.

Didn't see the other two.

And I agree that they tweak the rules too much.

Did you see that shot on Moss tonight that they called for that defenseless bullshit? Solid shoulder into his chest and nothing more.

That used to be good defense.

15. AlbanyJet

AlbanyJet New Member

Is it just me, or did the ref that was announcing the penalties seem almost smug when it was against the Jets? I'm not so schooled in the game to be able to recognize legitimate penalties as they happen, but each time the Jets supposedly "screwed up", that guy seemed like he was more than happy to cater to the crowd.

16. jb1095

jb1095 Banned

So let me get this straight. Are you saying that the Refs do not call penalties against players who do illegal things to Mark Sanchez just so there will be sports highlights on ESPN?

I find it hilarious how many people on this board cry all day how the Jets are treated unfairly by the refs, they complain that everyone hates them, and that Mark Sanchez is a god.

I have news for you, The refs are not picking on you at all. The fans just don't like people who do nothing but talk smack when they have not won anything, and Mark Snatchez is a mediocre quarterback right now.

Follow Namoths advice, shut your mouths and do your talking on the field. The 2007 Patriots thought they were better than they were and got smacked down by the Giants.

Shut the heck up, play football, prepare for every game like it is the super bowl, respect your opponents(no matter how crappy you think they are), and stop getting butt hurt whenever anyone criticizes anyone on your team.

that is all.

17. NickD

NickD New Member

1. Should have been a face mask call, but I could see how the refs missed it. Sanchez was pulled down by two guys and his head was towards the sideline and the ground.

2. Missed that one.

3. Not a foul.

On a side note for #3, Sanchez needed to plant his foot and lunge, but he was coming out of a broken tackle. We were lucky he got as close as he did. I didn't like the call on 4th and 2, anyway. There was still lots of time left to drive down for another TD attempt. We should have kicked and gone onside. I understand Rex's thought process and agree that if we can't get 2 yards, then we don't deserve to win, but it was a risky call that didn't need to be made.

18. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

That is the only problem in the NFL. Rules are defined as "to the discretion of the Ref. What he deems a penalty shall result in a flag". While this is not the exact definition, the concept is the same. For the most part it is a the zebra's judgment, and the problem with that is everyone perceives things differently. And when it comes to how one perceives events, that's a whole new realm we are entering - which imo the NFL should stay away from.

The NFL wants to protect QB's but don't know how to define it.

19. Shemy

Shemy Member

rule is pretty simple...basic guideline (taken from the referee official site)

If your name is neither Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, any hit on the QB after the ball is thrown away is considered a legal hit, other than a helmet-to-helmet hit, unless your Mark Sanchez anything on him is fair game.

20. JetsFan...NOT!

The whole league is amok! I saw some very bad roughing penalties called all over the league Sunday. The defenses haven't got a chance in this league anymore. Even the PI calls are way up, look at the offensive scoring going on. That has to be way up already from past years.
    I think the Refs have gotten a message from the league to, "when in doubt" call the penalty!