Please Don't draft Cutler

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin is the man, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Martin is the man

This thread was created for anyone who doesn't want Cutler to be drafted by the Jets. If you want to waste the pick on Cutler you can post on the other 4,000 threads of people who are on this guys bandwagon, so please avoid posting here. If you are against drafting Cutler like me post why. Here's why I'm against drafting him:
    Cutler has lots of potential no one can deny him that, he has a great arm and good speed. 1)Although I feel that he has a cocky attitude which often doesn't mesh well with other players (ex. TO, Randy Moss not to say his attitude is like them but in a QB where leadership is supposed to come from it may become a huge problem). 2)He has very poor mechanics, don't give me it was because he had a bad team around him, he threw like this at the senior bowl too where he couldn't get better protection. 3)The biggest question is who will block for him, put Payton Manning behind houston's line and he would suck, protection is where it all starts and end's if a average QB has decent time he can become a great one. 4)And here is my major objection to drafting Cutler, we are rebuilding and let's face it we won't win the Super bowl next year in fact we will have a pretty high draft pick so we can draft a better QB next year so we don't SETTLE for cutler (ex. Brady Quinn ND 32 TDs 7 ints, Brian Brohm Louis Jr. 19 tds 5 ints, Drew Staton MS 22 tds 12 ints and he can run real well, John Stacco Wis. 21 tds 9 ints, Drew Tate Iowa 22 tds 7 ints, Sam Keller AS 20 tds 9 ints and only played half a season, Chad Henne Mich Jr. 23 tds 8 ints).

Potential doesn't win Super bowls, and as far as I'm concerned that's all Cutler is, he has no numbers to back up his place being in the top 10. Just venting! Let me know what you think.

2. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

we have bigger needs than wasting our #1 pick on a QB... we should rebuild the rest of the team this year, and draft a QB high this year when we know for sure Pennington is done
    And i think we should sign Kitna for 4 years, compete with Pennington and start this year & next, mentor a rookie QB next year, step aside when the time is right

3. Ryan

Ryan Banned

I agree with us not drafting Cutler. I like next years QBs better, and we may not even need one by then. I personally think we should draft AJ hawk, a defense with him and vilma running around would be crazy. But 38 years is too long, th Jets WILL win the superbowl.

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Several of your comments are incorrect. Leadership is one of Cutler's greatest intangibles...nobody has ever said he was a bad leader. I don't know where you heard that.

Secondly, there are no guarantees we will be able to land Quinn in next years draft. Unless he has a injury or plays poorly (unlikely)...he will be the #1 pick next year.

Next in line is your comment on his mechanics. There is no question he needs work there, but they are no where near as bad as Vince Young's or Omar Jacobs'...

4th, you and MANY other have made the assumption just because we draft Cutler means he will get KILLED...but who on this board has ever said "let's start Cutler day one"? If he is on the bench he can't get "killed".

I am not saying you should want Cutler after thid post, but your reasons for NOT wanting him are faulty.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I also do not want Cutler. I think we should draft a QB in next year's draft.

6. Martin is the man

Ok thanks for your feed back but i just need to correct a few things i never said Cutler was a bad leader i said he has a cocky attitude which could clash with players, cocky players are more often leaders but they could still cause problems (I hated how he called out his team mates in college and said they weren't All American's, we all know that but it's something you don't say, he droped real far on my list after he said that), and i just listed Quinn on that list to point out that there are good QBs in next years draft, i too feel there is no hope in getting him but all of those other guys have a chance of becoming great players. Also i never said we should draft Young or Jacobs. It seems that everyone is settling for Cuttler and trying to convince themselves that he's better than he is. We can go other ways.

7. edal

edal New Member

It's very hard to be in a position to draft a high prospect QB. It's, in my opinion, the place that a team starts in building a franchise. If you have 3 top prospect QB's in the draft, we have to draft one of them. I personally want to trade up to #1 to reassure that we get Lienart. He looks to be the least risk at being a bust.

8. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Leinart could be the next Pennington... weak arm, accurate, immobile, winning mentality - I dont want him

9. edal

edal New Member

Too me, Pennington was a good quarterback. If not for the injuries (which is, of course, a big part of a football players career) I think he would have had us competing every year if given a supporting cast which we did have. Let's face it. When he was healthy, we won quite a bit! If not for a missed field goal, we would have been in the AFC championship game. But, after this last major injury, we have to draft a QB.

#9 edal, Mar 6, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  10. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I had to laugh.... you start a thread to bash a possible draft pick, and then tell everyone if you don't agree with me, post somewhere else! THAT is cocky, not Cutler.

I hear they think Roethlisberger is too cocky in Pittsburgh too. I'm sure he'll never make it to the Super Bowl because of that.

So, four years of playing behind a miserable line, and you expect Cutler to unlearn those habits in one week of practice and a a game? If you read Fisher's comments, after coaching Cutler for a week, you'd know that not only is he coachable, he picks up on what the coaches asked him to work on very quickly. It will take more than a week of practice to resolve his mechanics, but I think a preseason, and maybe 8 weeks of clipboard carrying is enough time to get him NFL ready.

11. Martin is the man

It's not me being cocky it's me venting, I'm sick and tirred of every time I post something on why we shouldn't draft Cutler someone has to complain and say he's the best pick, and flat out I'm getting sick and tirred of it, sorry if it bothers you that bad (really I am, I'm not a bad guy), but I've almost had it. Another Question how do you know Cutler picks things up quickly. Like every draft pick he is a risk but at least D Brick, A.J. Hawk, D. Williams have the stats to back up his draft value. Hey D. Williams had no line too.

12. PennyandtheJets

I agree with everything you said.

Cockiness is in just about every good QB if you think about it.
    Like TBJ said...Big Ben was a guy people considered cocky when he was coming to the NFL.

13. PennyandtheJets

Nobody on this entire board will ever tell you he's the best pick. Nobody knows if he is the best pick. I think he is the RIGHT pick though.

As far as not having good stats...how do you figure?

He was named SEC player of the year...

Look up his last 3 games of the 2005 season...

And most importantly look at his last game against Tennessee...

14. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

OMG I forgot to look at who started this thread.

15. Martin is the man

Wat r u talking about. What does that have to do with anything. Thanks for the useless coment.

16. Martin is the man

He has decent stats to be a 1st rounder but not to be a top 5 pick. Matt Leinhart 3 25+ td seasons, 3 3,200+ yard seasons, and never more than 9 ints in one season, YES Leinhart was on a better team, and YES Cutler has put up good stats but not to be a top 5 pick you can't disagree with that, last year he threw 10 tds and 8 ints for only 1844 yards, and this year was his best year at 21 tds and 9 ints for about 3000 yards. So ok one pretty good season makes this guys worth a top 5 pick, thats millions of dollars, are you willing to spend that on a guy with one good year. I don't know about you but count me out

17. ThunderbirdJet

It didn't bother me, I said it made me chuckle a bit, that's all. I generally avoid the "Take D'Brick" threads, because I think that he is over rated and also don not believe that in the mold of the Belichick/Parcells philosophy, that Mangini would EVER use a top five on an o lineman.

How do I know that Cutler is coachable and picks things up quickly? Because in a lengthy acrticle, Fisher talked about that in some detail. I probably should have bookmarked that article.... but take my word on it or not, as you choose.

Simply, I see Leinart as a solid, safe pick, I think he'll be at the least, an average NFL QB, with a shot at being good. I see Cutler as having more risk, but higher upside. His bust potential is greater, but so is his potential as a pro bowl QB, IMO. I don't know what to make of Young.... the Wonderlic, but more importantly, the fact that the offensive game plan has to be built around him. If he gets hurt, there is no way to replace him without revamping the O playbook. I think Mangini would strongly prefer a QB with a strong arm, a pocket passer who can move around and on occassion, make a first down when he has to tuck and run. That is what I would expect from a Belichick/Parcells disciple. Under any circumstance, I cant see either Belichick or Parcells going for a Young type, or the O line in the top five.

18. Martin is the man

See thunderbirdJet thank you for replying with class and you make a good point. Could you do me a favor though teach LOng TIme Jet Fan how to respond with class. Thanks again for the post, makes sense

19. ThunderbirdJet

There are far too many people on message boards that think they know everything, and that their opinion is God's, must be right, and anyone who doesn't agree is a fool. Idiots. There are no absolutes here, it's all opinion. I always recognise the fact that my opinion is just that, and no more. This is the basis for any good discussion.... an understanding that we are equals, with out own opinions, and it's how we collectively get smarter in the process, keeping an open mind.

People like JoeWillieWhiteShoes and others that rip into anyone that doesn't agree with them bring the discussion down from that level. The ignore feature should be utilized! :smile:

Off my soapbox.... but I will admit, when someone comes off the way longtimejetfan did, I'll roll around in the mud with him, and bite his ear off, just because it's fun.

20. Atlanta Jet

Atlanta Jet New Member

CUTLER...CUTLER...CUTLER...CUTLER....RELTUC.....RELTUC....RELTUC....ALL YOU SEE IS CUTLER......WHEN YOU CLOSE YOUR EYS TONIGHT I WANT YOU TO IMAGINE CUTLER THROWING TD'S FOR THE GREEN & WHITE........SWEET DREAMS