Playoff team or no? What do we need to do to get there?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Deathstroke, Mar 15, 2019.

1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Need some help inside on the d-line.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not yet. I think in 2020 we can be but not 2019. we still need upgrades at LT and RT. We need a center really badly. and we need a better CB2 and Edge rusher. I don't think we can address all of that in 1 offseason with whats left which is only the draft. We should be in good position to land an edge rusher and some depth this draft but that's about it and hard to count on any rookie really. The o-line is going to have to wait 1 more offseason and it's going to be our crutch for 2019 as well as CB2

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

We need a head coach & CS that can out think Belly & Brady. Until we have one we will just continue to thread water like we have since 1969:mad:

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[​IMG]

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You nailed it! The jury is out on Gase until he proves he can be a COMPLETE HC and get everyone pulling in the same direction. That's one of the biggest question marks given that he/Macc hired Gregg Williams who is fiery and tends to be his own man. Are they going to be able to work together and complement each other, or will it be each one pulling against the other? I truly hope for the best, but have major doubts until I see them prove otherwise.

NCJetsfan, Noam and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Logic says the Jets will be in the playoff hunt. They were (4-12) last season despite having a flat out joke Coaching staff and a rookie QB. Factor in 2 of those losses were to Gase and the Dolphins, and that gets you to 6 as they look to be tanking too. Close losses to the Browns, Titans, Texans and Packers can also be factored in. That would be 10 wins there. Now you factor in Darnold should be much improved in Year 2, the big weapon of Bell, the huge upgrade of Mosely over Lee on Defense, and the huge improvement in the coaching staff and scheme, and it is fair to think the Jets can win 8-11 games in 2019. Nothing is guaranteed though. Injuries could occur, Gase and Williams could attack each other on the sideline, who knows? There is reason to be optimistic as a Jets fan though, and we have not been able to say that for awhile.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I dont believe Gase was hired to be a complete Head Coach. He was hired to run the offense and develop Sam. The Defense belongs to William's. Essentially, we have 2 head coaches. It is an interesting experiment. Although, I liked their original plan better of Rhule being the CEO, Monken managing the offense and William's the defense. Too bad Rhule balked at the idea. Let's see if Gase can grow into the job.

As long as we win I can see Gase and William's getting along. But, if we lose and one side of the ball is holding us back it might get interesting.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I don't think the Ravens will be in the mix, they have little offensive talent, looks very underwhelming to me, and lost some good leaders / players on D as well.

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Question marks are on:

1. OL
    2. Edge rusher
    3. Running attack [from #1]
    4. Passing attack.

It takes time to fix #1, so Jets aren't going anywhere fast.
    That said, Edge rusher can be addressed this year. That will solve quite a bit of defensive woes.

If anything, I am not against drafting another edge rusher in Rd 1 next year. Just, the rest of the draft should be on offense, like this year's draft should be.

11. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Right now I'd peg us as a 7 win team. Maybe 8.

Still some work to be done. We need a center. Another running back. A pass rusher. We need to see what kind of step forward Darnold has taken in the offseason. I would like another receiver but starting to think that won't happen

This can be a 9-10 win team but more work needs to be done. And we need some good injury luck unlike last season where every single wide receiver was hurt.

And can Trumaine Johnson please not be crap this year

#91 forevercursed, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I think we are just one Daniel Brown away !!!!

FJF and The Dark Knight like this.
  13. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

That's fine and that can work as long as they're both good at their jobs. This is a big step up from the troika of stupidity Bowles-Kacy-Bates. But I think Gase can totally defer to Williams who will have them fired up and ready to play, and Gase can work on getting the absolute best from Sam Darnold and running the offense.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If that's really true - a "shared" HC approach - the Johnson Boys and Macc are dumber than I thought they were.

Ralebird likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Next year's #1 has to be used on an LT unless the Jets trade down, get a 2nd round pick, and then take Greg Little, Yodney Cajuste or maybe Tytus Howard and he develops into a starting quality LT.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think there's a very good chance the Jets take a WR, especially if they trade down.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The head coach gets to make the crucial decisions; there's no way to make it work with one offensive head coach and one defensive head coach. Operating a game plan is a one man job. Who makes the call at fourth and one with 2:30 left in the game when you're down by nine? Does the O-man go for it or does the D-man want the job of stopping the enemy and getting the ball back? What input does the ST-man get to inject? Who gets to use the timeouts? Who gets to hold the red flag and who gets to throw it? What you're looking for is a recipe to disaster.

Acad23 likes this.
  18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I said [I am not against that option.]

Nothing more. We didn't even play a full season yet. And we have another FA period to go with. If Jets grab another good pass rusher along the way, maybe Jets don't even need to draft another pass rusher in Rd 1 any more.

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The most important thing this team needs to become a contender is TIME. This was a 14-31 roster and no, it wasn't all Bowles' fault. Macc with his mid round failures played a large role. So this year, we're starting from behind the curve regarding the rest of the AFCE. Miami is tanking so we'll be better than them however, the Pats are who they are and the Bills for once didn't get worse. 2020 SHOULD be our year and if it isn't, Macc should be gone no more excuses. Chris The Genius I would hope is all out of feel good statements and plans that never seem to work. If not, it will be business as usual around the Jets albeit with new unis..

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Why? That’s essentially what the rams are doing. Mcvay doesn’t even watch the defense, he is on the bench with the qb drawing up plays.

CBG likes this.