Players to get in the first round 2007 Poll

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetPulse, Dec 15, 2006.

?

Who would you pick in the first round of the 2007 draft?

1. Sam Baker OT USC Jr.

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. Jake Long OT Michigan Jr.

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. Quentin Moses DE Georgia Sr.

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Darelle Revis CB Pittsburgh Jr.

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. Quinn Pitcock DT Ohio St. Sr.

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. Justin Blalock OG Texas Sr.

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  7. Laron Landry S LSU Sr.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Jamarcus Russell QB LSU Sr.

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. Brian Brohm QB Louisville Sr.

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  10. Other .. because there are a lot more

21 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. JetPulse

JetPulse New Member

I have purposely left out some players that are very likely to go before our pick which should be about the midteens. So, who would you pick first when the chance comes up?

Other:
    Marshawn Lynch RB Cal 4
    Dwayne Jarret WR USC 1
    Frank Okam DT Texas Jr. 1
    Paul Posluszny LB Penn State 1
    DeMarcus Tyler DT North Carolina State 1
    Trade it for Michael Turner 1

#1 JetPulse, Dec 15, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  2. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Marshawn Lynch | RB | Cal

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Justin Blalock | OG | Texas

If Frank Okam doesn't declare.

4. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

Dwanye Jarrett

5. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Other: Paul Posluzny (if he's still around), Marshawn Lynch or Darelle Revis.

6. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

Trade the first to SD in order to sign Michael Turner (restricted FA)....he's better than any back in the draft other than A.Peterson. JMO

7. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank New Member

Lynch and Woodley would be amazing.

8. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

I think Jake Long is staying in school for his senior year.

9. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

I chose Justin Blalock because of the position he plays and his versatility.

10. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Marshawn Lynch | RB | Cal

11. jamesAngleton

jamesAngleton New Member

If we don't draft a pass rushing OLB and a stout DE/DT I will be disappointed. My dream draft would be

"Tank" Tyler round 1

Anthony Spencer round 2 a

Adam Carriker round 3

or

Lamar Woodley round 1

Adam Carriker round 2a

Amobi Okoye round 2B

12. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Out of the people that were posted there i would probably take Moses because i think we need a DE that can get to the QB.

13. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Blalock, or Okam.

14. JETSimpala

JETSimpala New Member

The runningback I mention in my sig...

15. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I would probably take Pitcock as a RDE from that list, but I went with other because there are much better playmakers in the draft and I'm not about to take 3 OL in the first round over a two year span.

16. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

Justin Blalock has Mangini guy written all over him! Read the article below from the Dallas Morning News. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...texas/stories/122906dnspoblalock.26b33e6.html

SAN ANTONIO – Kids who win science fairs and score 1120 on the SAT in seventh grade, who get invited to prestigious academic camps and play the tuba in their middle school band, aren't supposed to be the best player on the football team.

They're the ones football players beat up.

Then, there's Texas All-America offensive lineman Justin Blalock of Plano East, a soon-to-be NFL millionaire who at 6-4 and 335 pounds is proud to say he's a card-carrying geek.

Colleges
    Blog | Bowl schedule / results

Alamo Bowl
    UT vs. Iowa
    3:30 p.m. Sat. (ESPN)

Blalock not your typical lineman

Notebook

Tell Us: Who wins?

2006 stats: UT | Iowa

Official site | Past champs

Bowl picks: Cowlishaw | Staff

More: UT | Colleges
    He crushes defenders, like the blitzing Southern Cal safety he flattened on Vince Young's touchdown run that clinched the national title last season. But ask Blalock about his career highlights and he includes his presentation on electromagnetism in eighth grade that won him a trip to Austin for the state science fair.

His 1120 SAT score in seventh grade landed him in an academic summer camp at the prestigious McCallie School in Chattanooga, Tenn., whose alumni include media mogul Ted Turner. Blalock did so well at the camp, he was invited to attend the private, all-boys' institution for high school. One problem: no football team.

"I think people see the stereotypical offensive lineman as a big, uncoordinated mess who has trouble tying a shoe or walking through a room without stumbling over a piece of furniture," said Blalock, who possesses a wicked, dry sense of humor. "Most people think we're not bright because we've chosen a position where we basically push on another guy for three-plus hours every game."

This season, Blalock was a finalist for two of college football's top lineman honors – the Lombardi Award and the Outland Trophy. He can bench-press more than 500 pounds. He is projected as a first-round pick in April's NFL draft because he's so smart and athletic, he can play all three line positions – guard, tackle and center.

While you might expect a star football player to fail to mention he played tuba in the middle school band, Blalock embraces that fact. Last month at the Home Depot College Football Awards in Orlando, Fla., he proudly told television producers that he also played flute, trombone, drums and guitar.

"He's kind of a smart aleck," said Texas defensive tackle Frank Okam of Lake Highlands. "Justin's a quirky guy. He's always in a technology store, buying the latest electric toothbrush or some kind of weird alarm clock. It wouldn't surprise me if he had science magazines laying around his apartment."

In the locker room after practice, Blalock is likely to start talking to an unsuspecting teammate about the difference between nuclear fusion and fission, just to get under his skin.

"That's Justin," said senior defensive end Tim Crowder. "He's kind of proud to be a geek. When I first met him, I thought he was weird. Now, I know that's just Justin being Justin."

Texas coach Mack Brown joked that Blalock's intelligence can be intimidating. (At least he sounded as if he was joking.)

"Justin's mom is a Northwestern graduate, and he's definitely the philosophical one in the group," Brown said. "If you're sitting and talking to him at dinner, you wouldn't think he's one of the best linemen in the country and in the history of Texas football.

"He wouldn't even be talking about football. He'd be talking about world peace or the economy. I don't talk to him much because I don't want to get caught in a conversation and make him realize his coach's deficiencies."

Blalock's mother, Jackie Blalock Robinson, was the first person in her immediate family to graduate from college. After getting her degree from Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism, she worked as a reporter before going back to Northwestern for a graduate degree in marketing. She's now a program manager for Nortel Networks.

"From the time he was 8 or 9, Sunday school teachers would play games to get kids to learn stuff out of the Bible and Justin always won," his mother said. "So he was competitive as well as smart.

"Being the only child, he got lots of attention. I made certain we went to museums to make sure he knew learning could be fun as well as important."

Blalock hasn't allowed a sack in 27 games for Texas, which faces Iowa Saturday in the Alamo Bowl. Blalock has started a school-record 50 straight games. He started 44 straight at right tackle but was moved to right guard for the last six because of an injury to another lineman.

"He'll be on an NFL team for 12 or 13 years, and that team will take him for granted," said former Cowboys scouting director Gil Brandt, now the draft analyst for NFL.com. "He'll never cause you any problems because he's a great character guy.

"I think he can play center, guard, right tackle, maybe even left tackle. He's smart, athletic, strong, got great feet and works really hard. You don't start at the University of Texas for four years unless you're a special player."

Brown credits Blalock, senior center Lyle Sendlein and senior left guard Kasey Studdard with helping change the Longhorns' reputation while winning the national title over the past five years.

"They helped us get away from a soft label, being able to run the ball against anybody, being great protectors and great leaders," Brown said. "Their toughness will be the hardest thing we have to replace next year. We have some young linemen who will really have to step up to continue to be as physical as those guys."

Blalock takes pride in Texas' success and says he hopes other pocket protectors (hulking linemen) won't be afraid to embrace their inner geek.

"I know people think most of us big guys lift weights all day and are some kind of meathead," Blalock said. "I'm trying to dispel that. That's my real goal in life."

E-mail chipbrown@dallasnews.com

JUSTIN BLALOCK
    School: Texas

Pos.: Offensive lineman

Ht.-Wt.: 6-4, 335

Class: Senior

High school: Plano East

Notable: Blalock and DT Derek Lokey of Denton Ryan are the strongest players on the Texas team. Both bench-press 515 pounds. ... Of Texas' 23 rushing TDs this season, 17 have been behind Blalock. ... Graduated Dec. 9 with a degree in youth and community studies and a minor in business. ... Chose Texas over Michigan, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, UCLA and Florida. ... Scored a 1280 on his SAT. ... Was one of five finalists in 2002 for the Watkins Award, presented to the nation's top black high school scholar-athletes. ... Also played basketball and hockey (goalie) growing up. ... Blalock had never been injured in football before a knee strain against Kansas State on Nov. 11 caused him to leave the game in the second half.
    Print E-mail this article Forums

RSS News on your wireless

E-mail newsletters Desktop News

Advertisement
    Most Read Stories
    Updated Fri 12.29.06
    Naked man killed in overpass jump

New DA cleans house

Penney fires new COO

Zito's deal too giant for Rangers to match

Most E-mailed Stories
    Phone tax refund is yours to claim

New DA cleans house

A request for digital backup

Owens' words as empty as stats

More
    More Texas
    UT men struggle to beat Centenary

UT's Blalock shakes lineman stereotypes

UT's 11-year run likely to end

Gilmer QB reverses field, commits to UT

Cosby is UT's flex receiver

More...
    Inside Texas Football Newsletters
    Bowl game probably can't match the setting

Horns have something to play for

Inside UT Football returns Dec. 15

Two leave before UT knows where it's going

Enough with the Gary Darnell jokes

More...
    Cowboys stadium: Simulated fly-through draws oohs, ahhs
    • Watch the fly-through
    • Interactive graphic 2006 Year in Review: A look back at the best of the best, the top of the heap and more. Updated through the end of the year. Cowboys photo gallery
    • Slideshows from training camp and every regular-season game

Print E-mail this article Forums