Players Not Named Marshawn Lynch

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Coach K, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Coach K

Coach K New Member

I noticed most mock drafts have us taking him, so I'm looking at other mock drafts to see who they think we will pick.

DE Victor Abiamiri-Notre Dame 6 ft 4, 270
    DT Quinn Pitcock-OSU 6 ft 3, 295
    DT Alan Branch-Mich 6 ft 6, 330
    CB Marcus McCauley-Fresno St 6 ft 1, 205
    QB Troy Smith-OSU 6 ft 1, 215
    RB Kenny Irons-AUB 5 ft 11, 200
    DT Frank Okam-Tex 6 ft 5, 315

just some names. not that i agree with all of them. I find the Branch pick laughable, since he'll most likely be a top 10 pick. Kenny Irons is taller than Washington and weighs less. I dont think Okam has declared yet. Pitcock would have to play DE. and Abiamiri would have to play OLB. and Troy Smith should be taken before us after I believe he'll win the Nat'l Championship. He reminds me of Drew Brees. If Smith falls to the 2nd, whoever gets him got a steal.

what do you guys think?

anyone interested in taking Carriker with out 1st rd pick? or will he last till the 2nd? I know the favorite is Woodley but I'd be surprised if hes available.

#1 Coach K, Dec 8, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  2. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I love the McCauley pick as I think we could use a big CB , I forget our CBs heights but they are smallish.
    Frank Okam is the other pick I like , and would think hes on the cusp of deciding to declare or not. IMO he will not

3. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

I think Carriker would be a fine pick for our 1st rounder. Not that I think Mel Kiper is always right, but Carriker is currently 12th on his big board. Taking him with a pick in the 20-32(ha!) range would definitely be acceptable to me. He seems to be a smart, tough, hard worker (read: Mangini-type-player), who is used to taking on (and beating) double teams and will add another flexible person to our front 7 because he can play both 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT.

One name you didn't mention is PSU's RT Levi Brown. I know some people would hate it because we focused on the OL in last year's first round, but last time I checked it worked out pretty well for us. It is not like Clement is a long term answer, and if Brown is the BPA, I think we should snatch him up.

BTW, I also do not think we need to go for a RB in the 1st round. If Lynch is the BPA, then I think we should take him, but I think there will be someone there rated similarly at more of a need position (IMO DL, OL, OLB, and CB, in no particular order). However, should Bush drop into the 2nd round, I'd love to get him with the Redskins pick.

#3 JetsFan7817, Dec 8, 2006
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Carriker has performed that well in the position rankings, considering he had a very up and down season. I was looking at him as our first second round pick.

Levi Brown needs too much work for a first round right tackle, that would need to start for us right away. I think Justin Blalock, whether at guard or tackle, would be our pick, regardless of where we put him.

Right now, I want Frank Okam. I think a corner would be a waste, as we have five capable players on the roster right now, and all a corner needs to do in a Mangini system is be able to play in a zone. Corners in Belicheck/Mangini's system are really moreso roleplayers with specific capabilities.

5. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

I agree Blalock may be a better OL than Brown, and missed that he was not included on the original list. Either one would be a beast on the right side of the line.

I agree that Okam would be a good fit in our 3-4. If he is the BPA, then I think we should take him.

I do have to disagree with you on CB though. I do think that even though CB's are less important in Mangini's defense than front 7 players, if a CB is the BPA, and all of these other guys we are talking about are gone, we should take a CB. Notice a pattern in my thinking?

#5 JetsFan7817, Dec 8, 2006
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yes, best player available. I understand that. The only problem is, that corners are so hit and miss, that a corner really will never be the best player available.

My thinking is that drafting a pure cover corner like McCauley is a waste of talent in this scheme.

7. lightning

lightning Active Member

Who the heck thinks we're going to take troy smith?

8. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

I want Marshawn Lynch