Phillip Rivers/Norv Turner combo?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 1, 2013.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

It's not as clear as that. He isn't a spring chicken so it's not as clear cut as to say he just needs weapons. In a negotiation the other party can easily point to his age and his decline in play. Those are facts. Saying he needs weapons is a matter of speculation. If that is in fact something the Chargers believe Rivers will be going no where. But given they just fired their HC and Rivers doesn't have those weapons, plus his age, I don't see any reason why they should keep him.

If the Chargers just fired their GM I'd agree. But the fact that they fired their HC too means to me that it may be more than a weapons issue.

2. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

No. Just no.

/////

3. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

The bears gave up a first rounder in 09 and a first rounder in 2010 for Jay Cutler, the Raiders gave up a first AND a second rounder for Carson Palmer and they weren't required to take on a POS like Sanchez.

Turkjetfan likes to talk down to people, but he has to know him stating that the Jets trading Sanchez and a 5th for Rivers is so far beyond comprehension it makes him sound like a complete fool.

4. TurkJetFan

I don't like to talk down to people, and since you don't know me that makes your statement kind of senseless. If you don't like the truth that's ok. :)
    What's foolish is the apparent misunderstanding of the overall NFL, and general salary cap workings of this proposed deal. This is a flat situation of falling in love with a name. The Carson Palmer deal is an entirely different situation. The Raiders were desperate for a QB and the Bengals were holding Palmer hostage at all costs. The Raiders are also notoriously mismanaged. The Bears gave up a 1st for Cutler who was still in his prime and productive. We are not comparing Cutler when he was traded to Rivers present day. Are we???

I'd even say Sanchez plus Kyle Wilson for Rivers is achievable.

#84 TurkJetFan, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  5. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

How much of Sanchez's deal do we pay then?

6. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

Look at Brees when he left,
    I'm all in, Sanchez and Revis for Rivers and #2.

7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Sanchez and Revis for Rivers and #1

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

QB's can play well into their 30's in today's game. They just aren't getting hit very often anymore. Him being 31 shouldn't be a deterrent.

5 of the top 10 in passing yards are over 30
    7 of the top 10 in passing TD's are over 30

9. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Correct on both accounts, no incoming GM is going to invest anything in Sanchez. If you are a brand new GM there is no way you say let's trade for Mark Sanchez. The only place Sanchez goes is a team with a veteran QB that Sanchez can sit behind and learn from and has nobody on the roster to fill in if that Vet gets injured... the only places I can even logically see are Chicago, Pittsburgh, or Denver. None of them are going to take his salary so it's a moot point.

10. TurkJetFan

The Jets would eat the majority of the dead money hit if not all of it which is what brings the Sanchez cap hit to something near $17 mil. The $17 mil includes his base salary. I'm not sure of the exact percentage.

11. Combustible Rextible

Norv Turner: "Hey Philip, I'm thinking I may end up going to the Jets next year. Want to come with me?"
    Philip Rivers: "How? In a trade for buttfumbles? Get serious Norv."

[​IMG]

12. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Some of you are delusional, the raiders had to give up 2 first rounders to get carson palmer after he lead the Bengals to a 2-14 season.

Yet you guys think we can get Rivers for just a 3rd round pick? I mean get real seriously. Lets be rational on this, its going to take at least a 1st round pick to get Rivers. Teams like the Cardinals would easily hand over a first round pick for Rivers.

13. Jetsjack

Jetsjack New Member

Please. I would love this.

14. Jetsjack

Jetsjack New Member

I'm thinking Sanchez and a 2nd for rivers if we get lucky

15. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

What source does Steiny have?

16. dr.velociraptor

Carson Palmer is older than Philip Rivers, Palmer is 33 and never had a year like Rivers did just last season and the Raiders gave up a FIRST and conditional SECOND for him! You are in a dream world if you think Sanchez and Kyle Wilson for Philip Rivers is a realistic trade...

There is zero reason why anyone would want Sanchez on their team let alone give up a much more proven QB to take him on, it's ridiculous.

#96 dr.velociraptor, Jan 1, 2013
  17. dr.velociraptor

Turkjetfan believes Kyle Wilson and Sanchez can get Rivers, and he's serious about it. Then claims anyone calling that a fucking pipe dream is just ignorant of football contracts... I swear people are starting to lose it after this season.

#97 dr.velociraptor, Jan 1, 2013
  18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

so until the Jets get a GM they shouldn't discuss any possibilities internally?

do people really not know what "internal talks" mean? it means the Jets aren't talking to the Chargers about this, it means the Jets are only talking about the option amongst themselves. you don't need a GM to do that.

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He hasn't struggled similar to Sanchez. His worst season is Samchez's best season. He turns it over a lot but still moves the chains way more consistently and bringing Norval over would mean he already knows the playbook. Holmes comes back, draft an RB rd 1 if there's a stud there. We begin to assemble a competent offense. This is all assuming we can even get Rivers.

20. 74

74 Well-Known Member

You guys who think Rivers is good have no fucking clue. Have you even watched him play the last two years? Anyone is better than Sanchez, but you want to bring in this guy? RIVERS IS FUCKING AWFUL.