Philip Rivers Has A Strong Arm, Right?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Jan 15, 2007.

1. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I guess we'll have to disagree then. Ramsey limits the playbook by you know, not being able to complete passes. He was never going to be playing over Chad if he was healthy.

I just don't understand how it's either Chad is a terrible QB that Brooks Bollinger should start over or he's perfect for the offense can make every throw and should be the Jets QB for the next 10 years. I think we're right in the middle ground of those two scenarios.

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I didn't compare the two QBs, the poster asked to name a QB with below average arm strength like Chad that has won a SB. Montana had below average arm strength, there is no debating that.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

No one can say for sure, but here's my guess. Chad is an experienced vet at the position who without question has the intelligence to run an NFL offense. His solid work ethic, smarts, and experience gave him a huge advantage over the other two QB's. My guess is that it was much more tangible to overcome Chad's physical shortcomings than Ramsey or Clemens mental shortcomings. The Schott offense seems to require more smarts than a lot of NFL offenses with all the line audibles so we really need a guy that can handle that.

Clemens is supposed to be a smart QB, so as he continues to progress at this level and eventually the CS feels comfortable with his mental abilities look for him to give CP a serious run for his money.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

I was referring to a recent post comparing the two QB's. I didn't mean to suggest you were making the same comparison - my bad.

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I'm saying they had to have some idea what they wanted to do coming in. They didn't just make up their offensive philosophy after they grabbed Ramsey off the scrap heap or restructured Chad's contract. They had some idea what they wanted to do and tried to bring in as many qualified guys as they could in the hopes that one of them could win and do the job.

Once Chad won the job, did they tailor it around him? Probably to a degree, but if he couldn't make the important throws he wouldn't have won the job. That's a pretty simple concept to take in, isn't it? And even if we had a bomber with a huge arm, who are the speed receivers on our roster he would have been throwing 60 yards down the field to? We don't have them either, so likely the offense was designed around a lot of guys, not just Chad. So I don't see how his arm strength would in any way have limited the offense.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

just because they throw the ball harder does not mean they can make those throws. perhaps they lack the accuracy or decision making abilities, and only have the arm strength. the point is to have a QB with all of those abilities, not just one or the other.

Pennington can compensate for his lack of arm strength with accuracy and decision making and play well, but Ramsey and Bollinger may not be able to compensate for their lack of decision making ability and accuracy merely with arm strength. nobody is saying that Ramsey and Bolly are better merely because of arm strength, just that Penningtons lack of arm strength does severely limit the teams ability.

there isn't a doubt Penny is a good 10 win QB, the question is whether he will ever be more than that.

7. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

everyone knew Ramsey wouldn't beat out Pennington because Ramsey is dumb and inaccurate. and how could Clemens be expected to beat out Chad, learning a complex Offense in his first year? Chad clearly had the advantage there too.

i'll always revert to this: if we're down 10 with about seven minutes left in the game - against a Playoff team - do you really feel confident that Chad Pennington can the lead the Offense to come back?

cheers

#87 The Uniform Bomber, Jan 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  8. Italian Seafood

I bolded the part that says the same thing I'm saying. That's why I don't think Chad limits the offense.

And I hope Clemens is the next great QB, nothing against him. If he can step in, take the job and be a big time QB, fantastic. As long as he does it in green and white.

9. 3rdAnd15Draw

A weak arm is always going to limit the offense. I don't see how this is even debatable.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I would imagine that the %s are pretty low for any QB down 10 with 7 minutes to go, regardless of arm strength..

11. WhiteShoeWillis

We need a QB that has both the mental and physical tools. Chad is lacking on the physical side - he cannot make all the throws an NFL qb should be able to make. This HAS to be a limitation on any modern NFL offensive system no matter how you look at it.

12. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

No offense, but if you're basing your QB selection on who can come back froma 10 point lead than I'd say that that not the best criteria to measure a QB. Yes I'd rather have a Elway, Marino, (take your pick of many other QB's) over Pennington in that situation. However, I'd like to base my QB selection on who can put me up by 10 points with seven minutes left over the guy who can bring be back.

13. The Uniform Bomber

i'm sure they are. but there are number of QB's i would feel confident with:

Brady
    Manning
    Palmer
    Brees
    Roethlesberger
    McNabb
    Green
    Bulger

And what do all of these QB's have in a common? much stronger arms than Chad; therefore they can lead their teams back quickly.

cheers

14. The Uniform Bomber

you're absolutely right. i'll take the lead any day.

but we won't always have the lead. and when we're down in the Playoffs and the season is on the line, i want a QB who gives us a chance to come back from a 10 point deficit in a short amount of time. Chad isn't that QB.

cheers

15. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

for all CHAD's mental power, he sure threw a lot of DUMB INTS!

16. Italian Seafood

It is debatable because every offense doesn't require a huge arm, and ours doesn't seem to. Once again, who are the speed demon WRs we have to go downfield even if we still had Vinny's arm back there?

17. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

because his fans know that he is a fair QB but not great! Many supported him for his 64 mill contract so now they are stuck with supporting him. They know they are wrong but their egos will not let them admit that CHAD is a mediocer QB, at best!

18. Italian Seafood

Good luck with a lot of those guys. You realize the almighty Brady threw a pick on 4th and 5 with the game on the line yesterday, right? But his arm is so strong the guy fumbled it after he picked it off? When he should have just knocked it down to begin with? You guys act like one guy comes back on his own from 10 points down, there are always a lot of factors in any game.

19. 3rdAnd15Draw

I think we're getting into semantics here. Does it require a huge arm? No. Does not having a huge arm limit the kinds of plays the Jets are able to run and throws Chad is able ot make? Yes.

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I disagree with you. They brought in Ramsey and restructured Chad. Chad essentially got a two year deal with a huge bonus due the year after next if he isn't cut. Ramsey clearly couldn't run the O and looked like crap in training camp. Running the O was the key thing this year and Chad was the only one who could do it if he was healthy. We have 3 speed recievers on this team, Coles, Dwight and Smith all with excellent speed and can clearly run the mid range out.