Philip Rivers Has A Strong Arm, Right?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I'll ask you again. If that is the case, then why didn't Ramsey, Clemens or Bollinger get the job? If they can make those "regular sideline route" throws better and they are so important to the offense, why did the staff pick Chad? And how did they win 10 games with him?

2. Italian Seafood

Contribute something worthwhile, champ, and I'll be happy to teach you about football.

3. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Probably because Chad could do other things better then any of these QBs and the coaches determined that he was their best option. You seem to be arguing against the fact that the playbook was tweaked when it was apparent that Chad would be the QB. Maybe you just object to the word "limited offense", I don't know.

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

IMHO competition was closed before it even started as Bolly. Ramsey, Clemens had zero ability compared to CP. Now if say he had to compete against Garcia & Clemens the end may not have come out the same way since Garcia has more to offer then Bolly & Ramsey combined.

5. championjets69

I just did but guess you missed it

6. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Ok...so I was trying to be a bit respectful to Chad. Its kind of a new years resolution that is going down the crapper pretty fast.

My point is simply this. The Buc and the Ravens come to mind as two teams that have won superbowls with less then average qb's. It could happen if you are very dominant on the other side of the ball.

As far as the Chad argument goes...bottom line is this..the defenders see one thing and the others see a qb that has the weakest arm in the NFL.

Yesterday we saw QB'S with much more talent struggle..and that is where the defenders of Chad have decided to hang their hat.

What they fail to see..and always will fail to see is that each of those QB's, especially Brady and Manning could have 4 interception days against great defenses and light you up on a winning drive...EVERY WEEK. They will hit a hot spot against a great defense and just drill balls into traffic and receivers catch them. They can hit a zone where they become unstoppable. Chad will never hit that zone for one simple reason...he cant. When a radar gun fails to pick up the speed of a ball you become stoppable...and thats Chad.

#66 jaywayne12, Jan 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  7. championjets69

Yes but both of there QBs could still chuck the rock not like CP sorry to say. As I posted earlier maybe CP should spend his off spring working on making that arm much, much stronger so he can wing the ball instead of enjoying the fishing off Sarasota

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

How bout a guy named Joe Montana?? He has won a couple Sbs, hasn't he??

9. 3rdAnd15Draw

You think Chad could've made the Montana/Clark play happen? I sure don't. There's a big difference between "doesn't have a cannon for an arm" and "worst arm strength of pretty much any starting QB ever".

By the way, Montana had 31 4th quarter comebacks in his career. I think Chad has 3 or 4.

10. championjets69

All I will say is FB in the 80s is not the same FB as in the 00s. To compare a 80s QB with a current QB IMHO is like nite is to day. I'll go into the 90s & say give me Troy who could wing it which shows how much the game changed in just 10 short years. Better you just think of that lollipop pass that he threw in the NE PO game which was INT & run back for a TD that is much fairer comparison

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Montana's arm was stronger than CP's and there is no debating that. He didn't have a laser, rocket arm, but it was definitely stronger than CP's. Please let's not compare the two QB's again because there is no comparison.

12. A.C.E.S

A.C.E.S New Member

Being a smart football player is way better then being a talented football player. I agree with you, I guess it is overrated.

13. Italian Seafood

I object to the idea that a staff full of 30-somethings with no loyalty to anyone in the organization would come in here and compromise what they planned to do on offense in the first two weeks of camp. With no history of their own, why would they immediately stake their careers on a guy who couldn't make the throws they needed him to make? And if they did, how did they win twice as many games as anyone expected they would?

14. Italian Seafood

Your key word, champ, is "if". If we had Tom Brady the competition would be even better. What's your point? You didn't come close to answering the question I posed, but at least you're trying now. :up:

15. 3rdAnd15Draw

What were their options? They drafted Clemens in the 2nd round and brought in Ramsey in case Chad was unable to go. They made the best of what they had and tailored the offense to Pennington. Or are you telling me that if Chad got hurt and Ramsey had to play they would've run the same dink and dunk passing game?

16. Italian Seafood

It's over-the-top comments like this that take away from the credibility of the user.

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Yes I think Chad can make a play like the Montana/Clark play. Montana had below average arm strength just like Chad.

As for the 4th Qtr comebacks, Chad has never had a team like Montana had with the 49ers, from coaching to talent around him.

18. Italian Seafood

I'm saying if Chad is as bad as you guys think he is and he limits the playbook, Ramsey would have been playing in the first place.

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I'm guessing they probably had a couple of plans for the O depending on whether or not they had anything in either Chad or Ramsey? Prior to training camp Chad was a complete question mark. Are you arguing that they would have run the same game plans for Ramsey if Chad's arm wasn't okay? Nothing these guys did suggests that in fact everything they did suggests it was tailored to the personal.

This team also won 10 games in 04 and the biggest question mark was Chad. There was no reason to think with this schedule and a healthy Chad that 10 games wasn't possible with good coaching. With Herm this team won 10 games (I appoligize to Junc in advance :smile: )

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm on my way out the door, but this is a post I made in response to a point I misunderstood jaywayne making, if you can understand that at all. :)

http://www.forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=431449&postcount=22

jaywayne, I agree with your point about Chad's physical limitations, for the 2006 season I think he was the absolute best option we had at QB when installing this offense. Chad is definitely not the prototype QB for this offense, just look at the offenses out west that it's modeled off of and you can tell that easily.

But we needed a strong, intelligent veteran presense under center and we had one on the roster during a rebuilding year that we spent 2 first rounders on O-linemen who ended up starting as rookies. If you really watch the offense, from the moment the previous play ends to the time the next play is snapped, you can see the loads of communication involved, and I think guys like Mangold, Brick, Leon, and every other player benefited from Chad being able to pick up the offense quickly enough to have to O moving fluidly enough for this rebuilding team to make the POs. I don't think too many QBs in the league could have had the lead as well given the circumstances. I'm sure Mangold wouldn't have flourished so early if there was a less mentally adaptive QB behind him.

Arm strength is all well and good but if the guy is as dumb as Michael Vick you might as well chop his arm off and put it on a spit when you are running a complex offense.

Now that we have gotten past the absolute worst part of the rebuild, I have the feeling that the grooming of Clemens will advance much more quickly.

#80 abyzmul, Jan 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2007