Philip Rivers Has A Strong Arm, Right?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Jan 15, 2007.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

While the QB play over the weekend may not have been great, Rivers was significantly better than Chad playing with a significantly better team as was Manning. What that really tells me is if your going to get to a SB through NE, SD or Baltimore you are going to need a significantly better team and QB than we currently have.

2. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Yeah, and when your QB is at best a nice complementary player you need ALOT more then just a QB to win in January.

3. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Maybe i'm reading this wrong, but how did Rivers play a "significantly better team?" Chad and Rivers played the same teams. Chad did better against the Patriots defense despite not much a run game while Rivers had a great game from Tomlinson.

Now, if your point is Chad has a better team, then I disagree. Chad has better receivers in Coles and Cotchery, sure...

But Rivers has the best running back in football, the best tight end in football, and a significantly better offensive line than the Jets currently have.

4. winstonbiggs

My point was that Rivers is better, played better and the Chargers are better than the Jets and it still wasn't good enough to get to a SB.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They did play the Pats closer than we did, however you're absolutely right that neither team currently measures up well against the Pats.

I have this recurrent nightmare (well sort of) that has the Jets and the Patriots in the super bowl (yeah yeah) and the Patriots are just sending one guy out on offense and one guy out on defense and Brady is beating us singlehandedly on the offensive side of the ball and Belichik, hoody and all, is beating us singlehandedly on the defensive side.

I am soooo tired of the Patriots right now.

6. winstonbiggs

It's not just the Pats, if you watched the Baltimore, Indy game Manning made a few errors but he also made some incredible plays while being hit and he got the ball down field while under pressure and being hit and it pushed the Raven's Safties back way off the line of scrimage, it was the key to them winning that game. Chad would have been pulverized in that game with the safties playing up all game.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah but Manning has a great arm and a quick release. There's only a couple of those guys in the NFL at any given time.

We just need to get up a couple of slots from where we are with Chad and it would make a world of difference.

Vinny, even with his great experience, had much less of an understanding of how football really works than Chad does. But he had the same leadership ability on the field and he had a great arm. That's why the Jets went 31-17 under him in 1998, 2000 and 2001. Then the wheels fell off and he lost his touch and his arm alone was not able to get the job done.

Chad has an excellent view of the game. He basically does everything he can to avoid making losing mistakes and counts on a few momentum turning plays to build a lead that he then carefully holds on to. The short, controlled passing game that he thrives in is designed to minimize mistakes and maximise defensive field position at the end of drives.

The problem is that when the other team just takes the ball and runs away with the game there is no amount of minimizing mistakes that will change that fact. The control that that short passing game gives is now useless because it does not lead to fast points or a lot of points, which is what you need at that point. And Chad cannot just go bombs away and try to riverboat gamble his way back into the game because he's holding a straight to the other teams boat.

If you think about it you realize that when the Jets are up under Chad's leadership they're really flying but when they're down they've crashed and the flight is over. Under Vinny they might well be cruising at a lower altitude than the other team in the 3rd quarter but they had a real chance to soar up to the altitude needed to win the game.

That's it in a nutshell.

8. Brooks Brady

Brooks Brady New Member

I agree completely. I also think arm strength plays a lot of impact on the receivers and backs that surround Pennington. Chad might be shortening their careers with all of the hits they take because of his passes that leave them open for the big hits...

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

junc;

you have gone way out on the limb here and it snapped......

not going to list the pros and cons with CP compared to rivers but rivers is very impressive and is a better thrower/slinger than CP by far....However, he is not a complete QB, yet, so to me its a toss up - in a simple way....

My bottom line is having CP as your QB limits your playbook substantially and without a lights out defense, stellar running game, and/or big time #1 (ex - roy williams, harrision, etc) receiver - its just not a superbowl combination.

jil

10. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Nice post junc- I agree 100%

11. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

This is it in a nutshell..how can you argue with this. Im not sure what side of the bed my buddy Junc woke up on..but it wasnt the usual smart side. Junc just doesnt sound like junc when he discusses Herm or Chad.

He limits your playbook..thats it...end of story. In this era of the NFL, if you have a QB that limits your playbook..you are done. Regardless of what the scores were during the season, at this time of the year, you are done if a team can stack the line against you because you cant stretch the field..there will always be a team out there that will destroy you.

In the AFC this playoff season, 3 teams fit that mold. The Chargers, Pats and Ravens. There was no way of beating those teams this year...unless you were able to hold them under 10-13 points. Two of those teams have the ability to also score points. No chance. The Colts were one of the few teams we had a chance against not because we could stop them..but we could at least attempt a ball control game with them. That was before their defense starting giving two craps about their performance.

Chad needs to be surrounded by excellent talent..and in this day and age of the salary cap...thats asking alot.

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well mabe we should a FB 101 class for him?

13. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Nah, junc is a smart guy. His loyalty gets in the way sometimes.

14. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I'm still waiting for someone to explain this one to me. You honestly think a new staff comes in, holds an open competition to see who can run their offense, then picks the one guy out of four that can't run it? If he couldn't run it, wouldn't they have picked one of the three other guys? Why would they come in here and limit their playbook from the word go? That whole argument doesn't make sense to me.

15. championjets69

H'mm sorry different tracks on Junc then as I reallly feel he could use a good helping of FB 101 so he will become a mainstream poster

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Why do you think we're always running those timing routes to the sideline? He can't get the ball there before the defender can make a play on it, so he has to throw the ball while the receiver is just into his route. We run those plays all the time because the regular sideline routes are so obviously ineffective. That is one of the reasons Chad limits the playbook.

17. championjets69

IS may also benefit from a helping of FB 101

18. dbatesman

dbatesman New Member

It is asking a lot. And you know what? I'm sick of hearing this argument all the time--"Chad just needs to be surrounded by talent."

Does no one remember 2004? If you need a refresher, check out Pro Football Reference page for the '04 Jets.

I'll help clue you in: We had the league's leading rusher, and the 7th-ranked defense.

Man, with that kind of talent (and Chad's inimitable intelligence and accuracy and leadership and, of course, HEART), we should have been in the Super Bowl, right? Hmm...if I remember correctly, we backed into the playoffs. Then we escaped San Diego thanks to a miracle choke job by Nate Kaeding. And then Chad "I Can Succeed With Great Talent" Pennington led us to 3 points--let me say that again, three points--in Pittsburgh.

I'm sure there will be all sorts of excuses, like there always are.

"It was Herm and Hackett's fault."
    "Abraham didn't play so we didn't have a reliable pass rush."
    "The line didn't hold up."
    "Chad was injured part of the season."
    "Curtis didn't have a great game."
    "Doug Brien choked."

I see. So all Chad needs is a great coach, a great defense, a great offensive line, a great running back, a kicker who never misses, and a team that's always healthy...and he'll win us a Super Bowl?

No problemo. We'll get right on that for you, Chad.

#58 dbatesman, Jan 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  19. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I don't think knowledge is the problem, he's just an unapologetic sophist. Hobbes is another guy that appears quite intelligent but often makes nonsensical arguments.

20. championjets69

Well then maybe FB 101 will give him a real deal of reality. If he does not learn from class then he is what he is as they say