PFF: Damon Harrison Best Run Defender in NFL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Jan 14, 2016.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

PFF: Damon Harrison Best Run Defender in NFL
    By John B on Jan 13, 2016, 9:10p

Link
    http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/1/13/10765484/pff-damon-harrison-best-run-defender-in-nfl

Pro Football Focus today declared they believe Damon Harrison was the best run defender in the NFL in 2015.

Harrison had a career high 72 tackles this season. It is not a PFF stat, but I had Harrison ending the season with 22 "run sacks" according to Pro Football Reference's Play Index. A run sack is a tackle on a run play that results in either no gain or a loss. Those 22 put him second behind JJ Watt in the NFL.

I am not sure whether the Jets can afford Harrison. The investments they have made in the defensive line might not make a big contract for him wise. He is likely to get a big contract from a team that is not good against the run and is in need of a nose tackle. He can help that team too.

2. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Only way we can keep him is to move Sheldon or Mo. Is it possible to play Mo, Sheldon or Big Cat on the inside in a 4-3 with another traditional tackle?

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Many on here scoffed at the notion that Snaks in the middle is every bit as important as Mo / Richardson / or Leonard on the ends.

Snacks doing what he does, demanding dbl teams at least 50% of the time and STILL stuffing the inside run, is the oil that makes the wheels go around on our D-line. It's what allows Mo and Richardson to crash to boards. Keeping Snacks will give MacCagnan generous freedom in selecting our next MLB. Hopefully one that is lean and fast, able to cover TEs and RBs sideline to sideline.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  4. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

yes. Mo Sheld0n and Leo can all play anywhere on the d-line.. which leaves me to think SNacks will be the odd man out. He's not even on the field enough to break the bank and lose another one of the guy over IMO. We milked 3-4 years out of Snacks it's time to move on. The honeymoon is over.

if anything Sheldon or Mo can be used a DT on obvious run downs to stuff the run.. we'll still have 2 really good ends regardless of who is in the middle.

5. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Did these PFF idiots just invent a bunch of new cheesy awards? Ted Washington award? Don Hannah award? Don Hutson award?

[​IMG]

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

All 3 of them are 3T tackles in a 4-3 with another position they could also play. For Mo it's NT, although you couldn't afford to pay a NT what he's worth. For Williams and Richardson the other position is LE or strongside end. You could make an argument that Richardson could play RE with the right ROLB beside him.

The Jets could line up Williams at LE, Mo at NT and Richardson at 3T and put a lighter speed rusher at RE. That would take a lot of pressure off finding a pass rushing ROLB for a season. They still need to find that guy long-term though, whether they stay in a 3-4/46 hybrid or move to a 4-3. Paying Mo, Richardson, Williams and a pass rusher on the right side is never going to be doable unless we get an uncapped year when the Jets are trying to do it.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Harrison is a good player but I'm thinking his agents might've thrown a few bucks towards the PFF "analysts" to get that headline. very timely.

Jets69 likes this.
  8. Br4d

Snacks is an excellent player in the right defense. He holds the middle down and stays at home, preventing the team from getting gashed up the middle. He's probably going to get overpaid by a team with a poorly constructed defense and his value to them will be half what it is to the Jets.

If he goes someplace that knows what they are doing, like the Steelers, he will be an All-Pro for years.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Thanks snacks, bye snacks.

Hello 3rd comp pick in 2017

Jets69 likes this.
  10. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

We should be able to keep them for one more year if we franchise Mo and sign Snacks.

11. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

His play on the field backs up what the analysts are saying about him. He's been so good for us.

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dont deny that. He is a good player. Maybe I'm too cynical but a pending FA gets named "best run defender in the NFL" by a publication that bases a lot of its rankings on opinion makes me question things.

abyzmul likes this.
  13. Br4d

PFF is very Jets-focused. I always view their ratings with a grain of salt when it comes to a Jet player. That said, 72 tackles out of a NT is excellent. That means he's taking on the double-teams *and* making the tackles in the run game. How many guys can do that?

14. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Fair enough. But I think their ratings are pretty fair. They grade players on every single play and their grades are backed up by other analysts grading the same player and essentially checking the first analysts work. It's not an exact science, but I think they have a pretty good system and give pretty fair analysis

15. Br4d

Snacks is clearly in the top 3 NT's in football. He's been dominant against the run for three years running now. That's all you can ask for out of a 3-4 NT.

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Some other team is gonna land themselves a pretty good NT this offseason.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The problem with that is that they'd have to completely change their LB corps. They don't have a single ILB who is fast enough to play MLB, and the rest of their LBs are too big and too lacking in foot speed and coverage ability to play OLB in a 4-3. That would be trying to solve one problem and creating another problem that is as bad or worse.

18. NCJetsfan

What's the point in that? Keep both of them for one more year, thus causing the Jets to lose pretty much the rest of their 22 FAs and then possibly not be able to re-sign Fitz, and then only getting 3rd round compensatory picks for each in 2018? No thanks.

19. NCJetsfan

I see no way we can keep both Snacks and Mo. It's pick your poison. If we keep Snacks, we can keep the rest of our FAs we want to keep, keep Fitz, and even sign a good outside FA or two to fill some of our holes. If we keep Mo instead, all bets are off as to what we can do.

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

We need to put some money into something else like some LB's at this point. If he would take a deal that ended in 2 or 3 season. I guess that would work in time to sign Sheldon and Big Cat. Basically a "home town discount" because I don't doubt Harrison is going to get a long term contract from somebody. I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo isn't in there trying to run up the bids.

I've seen them rotated around a bit but wasn't sure if it could be a full time thing. In my "Madden" mind I feel like playing Wilk on the inside with another tackle would work out pretty well. He's not quite as explosive as the other two but is pretty quick and has pretty good strength. That with a pass rushing LB would really open us up to getting sacks. Of course any pass rushing help would really help generate sacks, maybe this year.

#20 hastygreen, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016