Peyton Manning is the Greatest Quarterback of All Time

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by JStokes, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Burning Elvii

Burning Elvii Well-Known Member

And McDaniels was not included on this years top ranked coaching ranks for new hires......the book on him is simply he's no good

Sarnecchia is happy the league unbanned him though :rolleyes:

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would've put as much as pressure as I can on Manning to win that game ...

In other related news, how funny is it that Belichick proposed the new PAT rule change and it came to bite him in the ass at the end of the season? LOL

dogg, NY Jets68 and Jets_Grinch like this.
  3. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

No, Peyton Manning is not the greatest QB of all time. He has consistently had more talent around him as compared to Brady. And now he has the leagues best defense. That's what won the game yesterday. Brady, with the exception of his TE, has worked with mostly 2nd/3rd level wide receivers and running backs. Swap QBs in that game yesterday and the Broncos win by three TDs.

BeastBeach likes this.
  4. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

I assume this thread was meant to rub salt in the Pats/Brady lovers, rather than a serious discussion? Peyton in no way elevated or vaulted his all-time status this season, it's by far the worst season of his career, and he's being carried Trent Dilfer-style. I have stood up for Peyton forever, but he has nothing left. The Broncos offense is better with Osweiler playing, and they have less of a chance to beat Carolina with Peyton in. That said, I hope the guy gets a storybook ending. He's played well in playoff defeats and been blamed. We all know Brady has a gift ring in which he was a marginal role player (the first one). Maybe Peyton can get one too, although unfortunately the juggernaut Panthers are in their way.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of it was Brady too. He has full control at the line of scrimmage. He didn't make the adjustment either to try to protect himself.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't remember that time Peyton played with one of the best defenses of all time by his side? Ah you're right, it's going to be hard to find that. Maybe a 1,600 yard rusher? Nope Manning's never played with one. Brady has though.

Manning had a couple of better receivers early on in his career. And that's about it. Brady is playing with the best tightend of all time and played with the best deep threat ever in Randy Moss. He's also played with multiple pro-bowl offenaige lineman. Your argument is silly without any substance or information behind. It's a blind statement until you back it up.

alleycat9 likes this.
  7. WhySoSerious488

I think it's very close between the two of them, and Peyton at least has the H2H going for him in the championship games now. Consensus will always favor Brady though because of the rings, and because their overall stats are likely to end up similar. It would be helpful for Peyton to avoid another SB blowout. His D is good enough to keep them competitive, but I really worry about him throwing the ball with ball-hawks like Kuechly and Norman back there. If Carolina's D can make Wilson (at times) and Palmer look foolish, god knows what they can do to Peyton. He better be very, very careful throwing it anywhere near Kuechly, that guy already has taken 2 to the house in these playoffs.

8. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Are you referring to brady's first three super bowls when his defense was at or near the top of the league? When did Randy Moss become a 2nd/3rd level receiver? How come Mannings name is at the top of so many individual QB records?

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The idea that Manning played with more talent his career is just absurd. There were times when Brady lacked talent around him (the years they typically lost), but by and by he's played with some great players over the years and for the most part benefited from playing with more talent and the same coaching staff, something Manning never had. Manning with Gronkowski would be dominant for example. Manning with Moss in both their primes would've been incredible - like Brady & Moss.

I dont think there is real difference between the two honestly they are both great QBs that traded barbs over the years. How Manning beat Brady yesterday and in the 2013 AFC Championship game is similar to how Brady beat Manning early in their careers. Benefiting from a much better defense at home and making plays when necessary. The only difference is that it is later in their careers after they've already accomplished alot so you dont have jackasses like junc calling Brady a choke artist like he did Manning when the tables were turned because it would be an absurd statement. Even though both statements are absurd when you look at it.

Dierking and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  10. Jets_Grinch

I think if manning walks off into the sunset with the lombardy in tow in two weeks he will be the consensus goat. Holds most of the QB records only qb to win rings with two different teams. head to head record in the playoffs. Also most of the arguments for Brady over Manning only work if you ignore facts. Exp: The Broncos won yesterday because of the D this is true about yesterdays and Brady's first few Super Bowls. Brady apologists like to ignore the second part of my statement.

11. WhySoSerious488

That depends. If he throws for 150 yards and Denver wins 16-13, I don't think this game will elevate people's views much of Peyton's career. If he won a shootout, it would definitely help the perception of his playoff career. That said, if you think Peyton is winning a shootout in this game, you probably haven't watched him play this season. I do think another SB blowout would probably cause some damage, which really isn't fair because Peyton is such a diminished player, it's just the perception of two blowout SB losses would be harmful. To me, this SB is not about Peyton's legacy in the slightest, because the Peyton who created a legacy doesn't exist anymore. I may be in the small minority believing this, but the Broncos would have a a better chance in this game playing Osweiler. I don't think they have a good chance either way, it just seems they have more options on offense and places where they can attack, with Osweiler playing.

12. Jets_Grinch

I almost agree with you on this. Peyton is not Peyton anymore. A blow out will hurt his overall legacy. he cannot win a shoot out. The only place i disagree is that a second ring in anything but the worst Super Bowl ever will elevate him. I really think another ring gives him a boost (not a huge one and makes the argument for him as GOAT that much stronger. Looking at the Panthers, Osweiler is the better option but i just don't see any way Kubiak can sit Manning on Super Bowl Sunday.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  13. WhySoSerious488

That's a good point. In 10+ years, people will just see a 2nd ring, and forget its context or the fact that Peyton was arguably the worst QB in football this season. He would get a pretty big boost in the "championships are all that matters" crowd, which can be a good number of people when we are discussing the QB position. Even a low scoring affair where he does not do much, would give him that 2nd ring. And you have his close friend, Nantz, calling the game. No matter how poorly Peyton plays, if the Broncos win, Nantz will wax poetically about the 1 or 2 good plays Peyton made, and ignore the 10 bad ones. Most sportswriters will do the same. If you notice today, there have been very few articles or commentaries critical of Manning's play yesterday, when it was without question an objectively below average QB performance that nearly wasted a brilliant performance by his D.

As to Osweiler, I agree that Kubiak cannot make that change now. He probably can't even make it if Peyton struggles during the game.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  14. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Peyton is the worst QB in the league not named Ryan Mallett, but he's is still the smartest to have ever played the game. And when you have the best defense in the league, a smart game manager is what you need, not some kid who's prone to fucking up. Kubiak was smart to make the change when he did, and unless they get down a couple of scores and need to start gun slinging, he's smart to hang his hat on Peyton.

15. WhySoSerious488

Only thing I'll say to this is, shouldn't the goal be to have your offense score as many points as possible, irrespective of how great your defense is? If you think one guy is capable of leading the offense to more points than the other, that guy should play. It is always better to have more points than less points. Obviously, it isn't that simple when it comes to Brock v. Peyton, and most, if not all, coaches would have made the same decision.

16. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I think the theory is, they felt Peyton was LESS likely to start turning the ball over so managing the game was paramount to scoring as many points as possible.

_

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Wait...whut?

Hanging hat is just that. You're all in.

What's a "couple of scores"?...11 points?

18. Burning Elvii

Burning Elvii Well-Known Member

BRady saw ghosts when his headset went dark ;)

19. WhySoSerious488

That may have been the thinking, although it is doubtful they came to that conclusion based only upon this season's play. Peyton led the league in INTs.

Kubiak probably had two thoughts before putting Manning in: 1) he has not been super turnover prone throughout his career, so hopefully he will revert to his norm and not throw many. Osweiler is a relative unknown who could blow up for a multiple INT game; 2) I will take less heat for losing with Manning (with Osweiler on the bench), than the opposite. Honestly, I think #2 was probably the bigger factor, although he would never admit it.

20. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Except in this instance, Brock might be able to put up more points, but he's also more likely to fuck up and cost you points.

Peyton is the least likely QB to cost you points. Sure, technically he had a "fumble" yesterday that led to a TD, but how the hell can you really pin that on him?