Petty - Ready to start throwing again!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, May 14, 2017.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I dunno

The things that made me bearish was all his pulling the ball down at the last second when he was in his actual throwing motion- only to throw an incompletion 1 second later

Maybe time and confidence will fix that

Also his accuracy was poor- he lost his mechanics and the balls just flew high too many times

But hey- I'll be more than happy if he develops

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, the Jets did a pretty good job of turning him into a Joey Harrington/David Carr mash up.

Footballgod214 and Peebag like this.
  3. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I think all QB's in their first few starts have difficulty seeing the field. Experience should fix that.

4. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Agreed..the way Gailey Handcuffed him and that O-line that got him decapitated a few times... that's his fault? lol...
    I have a feeling his gonna show something... hey maybe it's an egg but I like Petty.

Pags2112, egelband, Peebag and 3 others like this.
  5. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I know I can say the kid is a wash after watching him play with a bunch of backups at o-line, hurt starting receivers, a washed up, overpaid RB and a defense to match that sucked last year.

Don't forget an offensive coordinator who only allowed him two gameplans: all deep passes (which has a 0% success rate in the NFL) or all super low risk/low reward passes (which sucks).

I'm sure that's a perfectly reasonable way to judge him.

6. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Petty looked okay last year. You have to throw out the Rams game because Gailey gave him the Jets default playbook from Tecmo Super Bowl instead of one for an NFL team. He also had about half a practice with the starters before that game.

Considering the roster health, and the play of the offensive line, I thought Petty did well. I very much hope to see a lot of both Petty and Hack this season. There's no reason to see McCown take a snap unless one of those guys is hurt.

Pags2112, PulseJet, LAJet and 4 others like this.
  7. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

The team did nothing to upgrade the O-Line this past off season. I sure hope to hell that they find a gem in the UDFAs who can help or we might as well carry 6 qbs on the team.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Do you not consider Beachum an upgrade over Clady and/or Ijalana? I know they also signed Jonotthan Harrison who was with the Colts. He may suck and wind up not being any better than any of our previous depth, but he's versatile and may be decent. They could also still sign a camp cut, or other FA OL who's out there who was wanting too much, and they're waiting for the price to come down. It wasn't really the year to try to address the OL in the draft, especially at OT. I'm surprised and a little disappointed that they didn't add a C, but maybe they're very high on Johnson and think that Harrison would be a better backup than anyone they could have taken in the draft, or they got better talent at other positions at their slots in the draft than they would have by taking a C. At best, all they would have done at OG is to try to upgrade the depth. Carpenter will be our starter for another year or two and they just re-signed Winters. He's not going anywhere for a year or two unless he's horrible this year.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't know, he got a pretty good look at the field here.

[​IMG]

10. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Well. Beachum got cut by the Jags. Let that sink in a bit. Harrison probably won't make the team and for the rest, primarily the same group as last year. It's not a pretty picture.

11. NCJetsfan

Beachum was signed by the Jags following surgery. Often times with a serious injury and surgery, it takes a player at least a year to return to his previous playing level. He had a bad year with the Jags. They aren't known for making the best/wisest decisions. Beachum was very good before his injury, and he could be a lot better this year with the Jets. We certainly need to hope that he will be. If he isn't, it will be a very long year for us fans, and a very short year on the playing field for the Jets' QBs.

Why don't you think Harrison will make the team? Who is better at backup C? What other OL do the Jets have that has the versatility that Harrison has? If he's even close to any of the other backups in terms of play, his versatility could save the Jets a roster spot. IMO the only way he won't be on the team is if he flat out sucks, gets injured, or if the Jets find someone better in the camp cuts.

Pags2112 likes this.
  12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

The Jags traded for Branden Albert (who is apparently holding out and not in contact with the team?) and drafted Cam Robinson.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/14/jaguars-havent-heard-a-word-from-branden-albert/

I'm all about pointing out the woes of this offensive line (they are legion), but I'll take Beachum + all the players/picks the Jets would have had to give up to get above #34 overall to pick Cam Robinson + what it would have taken to get Branden Albert (so we could have a hold out and some extra cap problems, of course...) and live quite happily knowing that as long as Beachum isn't Wayne Hunter wearing a mask, we're still better off than the Jaguars.

---A high bar, I know---

13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

The thing that concerned me, and I have no clue if the stats back this up, is I thought the OL looked a lot better after Petty got hurt and Fitzpatrick came back in. Again, this is just going by the eye test.

It was the same 5 players, and it seemed to me like Fitz had more time back there. That told me that maybe Petty was struggling to recognize where pressure was coming from.

Having said all that, plenty of players struggle at first and grow into the position. I'm glad Petty will at least have the opportunity to compete for the job. I would love to be wrong on him.

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Good, we need to optimize the number healthy QBs under the age of 25 that can beat out Josh McCown and save my eyeballs

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

mccown will start and that will allow whatever OL we field to get their act together after a few games. only after that will one of the younger games start.

there is NO way petty or hack start with an unproven OL combo.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would disagree, I think the young QBs needs to develop some sort of chemistry and rapport with the young OL. They are a questionable duo, but I don't think they are the worst in the league.

FJF likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't know how all those who are so sure that Petty can;t beat out Hack, and have judged him as a career backup off of the very limited experience he had, especially with the virtual scrub team he was surrounded by, but at the same time are so certain that Hack is going to be anything but a wash out. Unless of course they have secret film of Hack playing in disguise with another team as their QB. I hope Hack or Petty is the next Joe Namath, and root for one or both to succeed, but Hack has certainly not given anyone any evidence of being successful in over three years, so I'm surprised that all these Hack boosters are so ready to toss Petty aside. As of right now, even with all the mistakes he's made, he's probably the best QB the Jets have on the roster, at least until proven otherwise on the field of play. That's not saying much, and I would've loved for the Jets to have grabbed Mahomes and thrown him into the mix, and believed he would've won the job, but it's reality.

18. NCJetsfan

You could very well be correct about all of that. I just have a question. Is it not possible that Fitz seemed to have more time, because he normally decides prior to the snap where he's going with the ball, while Petty was trying to read the D and to go through the progressions? I know that Fitz tends to make up his mind prior to the snap where he's going with the ball. That's why he gets the ball out so quickly also why he tends to throw into double and triple coverage.

I didn't get to see any whole game with Petty playing, only part of one game and some highlights, but based on what little I saw plus what I read here and elsewhere, it seemed that Petty was at least trying to read the D and go through his progressions.

19. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't say that there is "no way" that Petty or Hack start, but think the odds are probably against it for several reasons. McCown has a HUGE advantage having so many years experience in the NFL, having played on so many different teams and in different offensive systems. He will probably learn the Jets' new system more quickly, have better command of it, be better able to lead and control all the various pieces of the offense (including the OL) better than Petty or Hack initially. If nothing else, if Bowles holds true to form, like most HCs, he has more confidence in veterans than rookies and may think that McCown gives them the best chance to win.

That said, both Petty and Hack are smart and hard workers, and they could outplay McCown or McCown could get injured and miss a chunk of time in TC and/or preseason. Petty has somewhat of an edge in that he has already established some chemistry with Anderson and some of the other Jets receivers/offensive players.

In addition, Bowles and Mac could be on the same page that the most important thing they can do this season is to find out about Hack and Petty and if either can be their QB of the future. If they are, then I don't see them starting McCown, or at least don't think they should. I think that unless Hack and/or Petty just can't cut in TC and preseason that one of them should be named the starter. What better way to see the leadership skills, poise and savvy of their young QBs than to see how they handle a new offense with some new parts on the OL and WR corps?

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

This fanbase is quite puzzling.

They would support Mark fucking Sanchez for YEARS but give up on Petty after HALF A FUCKING SEASON.

Hell. I saw more touch and accuracy from Petty during that half a season than I did from Mark Sanchez throughout the years.

Seriously? Jesus Christ.

[It's not even like Petty had the luxury of playing with as much protection and run support that Sanchez had. Oh sweet Jesus.]