Petty FINALLY getting some respect..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 1, 2017.

1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Of course it was about Hack winning the starter job. It was all the newspapers talked about since February.

Giving Hack the most reps with the 1st team and starting 2 preseason games was an attempt to force the issue and if Hack showed anything he would have been named the starter. But like you said, its like going from zero to 100 and he looked kinda lost. They did Hack wrong by pushing him too fast, and they did Petty wrong by giving him minimal reps in TC. They screwed McCown too and had to scramble to get him playing time in the 4th preseason game. For the record I am perfectly fine keeping Hack on roster his entire contract and letting him develop at his own pace. But I think this year should have been more of an evaluation of Petty's progress given he is 26 years old. And given that he seems to have improved from last year they really need to commit to evaluating him this year.

2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think thats what the media wanted you to believe. I think Hack got the reps he did for a few reasons.

1. Petty wasnt quite 100 percent

2. They didnt really wanna push McCown to hard, they know what he is

3. Hack got virtually no reps last season. They didnt even wanna dress him when they had injuries last season.

Youre right tho, they know this team is crap and they know they cant evaluate both guys honestly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

egelband likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm just hoping we don't get much further than 0-3 or 0-4 before Petty gets some run. I was hoping Hackenberg or Petty would just start the year so we see what we have or don't have, but that's apparently not going to happen. So can we just play the damn kids?

We've gotten rid of every possible veteran asset we can in order to rebuild and play the kids. YET. We need to start a 38 year old quarterback?

This franchise is so ass backwards. My pops was a season ticket for over a decade starting around '92-'94. He's lost interest in the Jets to the point where he let me go to the games with my uncle before he gave the tickets up when they built the tin box they call MetLife.

I FINALLY understand why this franchise will cause you to lose interest.

Go Panthers!!!!

Red Menace, NCJetsfan and egelband like this.
  4. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I've been on the Petty train ... but he Will be Sanchez Deux ..
    Getting killed out there with no players on offense, and a half assed 0-line....
    With a New OC...

While we HOPE to draft a replacement for him.

Wow

LAJet, zace and egelband like this.
  5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I like the improvement Petty has made. You never know, he MAY do enough to grab the starts McCown doesn't get this season and that's fine. I think if Petty can prove he's a starter here, you MAY not need to go QB in the drafr. MAY. Hack continues to develop behind the scenes because he's still green behind the ears for another year...You never know.

nicg4360 and egelband like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm as big a fan of Petty as anyone here, and I believe he can be a quality starter. That said, I think he will probably have a hard time proving he can be a reliable, quality starter with this OL and Bowles. If there's any doubt at all, I think the Jets have to take a QB. Then if all 3 develop, they can trade one and keep the other 2.

LAJet likes this.
  7. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I don't think Petty gets any starts unless McCown gets injured and Hack's not ready. They should have named Petty the starter. If the Jets aren't going anywhere there is no reason for McCown to start unless Petty isn't healthy enough to start, but I don't think that's it. The only reason I see why McCown's the starter is because they absolutely want to make Hack the starter at some point in the season and if you make Petty the starter and he plays well, then you can't start Hack. They've decided Petty will not be their franchise QB and Hack may be a franchise QB, but they can only find out by playing Hack once he gets comfortable in this offense. Otherwise they need to draft a QB next year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

this......no one can argue with these 3 pernts....

9. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Hacks the best QB of the 3 imo. He s learning the offense coming from that Baylor spread style...He doesn't read blitzs well.

All I need from the QB is someone to move the chains and keep the defense from getting gassed. McCown may be best to do that. Petty I think gives us a better chance to put points. Face it we're going to be the bottom third in offense but hopefully an effective one. Defense will be middle of the pack But if we can avoid those 3 quick outs and keep going and keep the game close, anything can happen.

10. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

There is no doubt Petty is a likable guy.
    There is also no doubt that Petty has outplayed and deserves to be on the depth chart above Hack.

But let's keep it real. Just like Ratliffe, McElroy. Kellen Clemens etc., Petty is probably never going to be a viable starting quarterback in this league. Putting up numbers against training camp fodder is not the same as playing against the big boys.

We all saw what happened last year. I am not saying he doesn't deserve another shot, just don't get your hopes us because the chances of him not being able to get it done are far greater than him being a good NFL starter.

11. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

It's not remotely an even comparison - not once did Petty play against the first team defense. Hack and no chance on so many of his drives. Petty had a lot more time and the defense wasn't as good. I like Petty, but please don't give me stats that happened against backups. Hack came in after Petty got hurt and went down the field and scored right away. They are most likely very even with similar competition. I like Petty and would be happy if he started. I just don't want McCown to start - just not interested in watching him at all.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

And Fitzpatrick wasn't? Or the whole fucking Jets team wasn't? What's your point?

He can't read defenses, pick up blitzes, yada yada yada: Do seasoned vets do that well? [Only a handful of QBs in the league does that well.] And it was but his second year in the league, unlike that bearded tool, who spent his entire LIFETIME being a horrible QB.

Or are you saying 2nd year pro should be able to read the defenses and make protection switches like seasoned vets? Don't these things come with this experience?

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  13. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Petty probably won't. But I see a lot of improvement from him and I think football teams need to give the guys that work hard and show consistent improvement every opportunity to succeed.

Last year in his starts, he played like a young quarterback. Made a ton of mistakes, but showed me a lot in the Miami game when he audibled at the line and hit Robby in the flat for a TD score, then when about to be pancaked by Suh shows the fortitude to complete a pass.

Guys like that are what you build a team around. Petty may not work out. May be just a backup. But he's the best shot at a future QB the Jets have in 2017.

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We got that right at least :)

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Do you defend Hack with the same line of reasoning ?

Not being funny, I can't remember if I have read you supporting or slagging Hack off but all that you said could apply for Hack and he is 22yo not 26yo and for all intent and purpose a first year rookie.

I was supporting Petty last year and I would prefer him to McCowan this season also but he looked lost last year a few good bombs aside.

I am in full agreement about Fitz though.

16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

To be fair to Petty, he got thrust in when the whole thing had fallen to shit already, he wasn't working with a full deck. He also was getting murdered, with the worst coming in the Dolphins game. Despite that the offense still improved with him and Robby Anderson went from being a nobody to somebody because of him.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Since he didn't look all that great this preseason, I would guess he'd need more time. But yes, you know which boat I am in. I did criticize Hack for his poor mechanics, but that's about all I gave him flaks for. Moreover - if Petty could learn to handle taking snaps from under the center in a year, there is no reason Hack can't fix his mechanics in a year either. That's about as far as I'd go in terms of criticisms.

Other than that - yes, I defend Hack for the same reasons. Not just Hack, but every youngster that showed at least some semblances of flashes and brilliance. [So - you'll find me defending the likes of: Lorenzo Mauldin, Darron Lee, Jordan Jenkins, Jordan Leggett et al - you get the point. It will take WFH moment to turn me away.]

K'OB likes this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No, my post was more in defense of Hackenberg. Fans acting like Petty is a great QB and that Hack is terrible, just was pointing out they both were pretty similar in their 2nd years. Both in terrible situations too. Petty just looks a little more laid back and comfortable.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's amazing how shitty this franchise is run. Meanwhile we see franchises like the Packers go from Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers. And as poorly as the Colts are put together they go from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck.

A lot of that goes to the commitment from a franchise to building an offense around these players and actually committing to drafting them. We keep taking shots at mid round quarterbacks while we watch young quarterback after young quarterback go by in the first round.

Who knows what this class of quarterbacks will bring. But we had the chance to draft Maholmes and Watson and passed on them. Same with Carr and Teddy Fieldgoal Bridgewater.

We just had to beat the fucking Titans too and lose the Mariota sweepstakes while he's looking to be an absolute stud.

I think of a franchise like the Lions that may have 'overpaid' for Stafford. But the Lions will always be in every game they play because of that one player.

Hopefully we get the top pick and take Darnold. But I will never question a franchise that breaks the bank even for a quarterback that ranks right outside the top 10 in the league. If we weren't in the position to draft one of Darnold/Allen/Rosen I would not have a problem with throwing $90-$100 million at Kirk Cousins.

You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket. Get the franchise guy and he'll keep us in the 7-9 to 10-6 range for the next 10 years.

Is there ever a doubt that the Chargers will at least be competitive with Rivers? Some years the franchise will be worse than others but they'll never see a string of 3-4 seasons where they're a meddling 4-12/5-11 for an extended period of time.

Fault the Bears for their shitty trade to get Trubisky but they saw the opportunity to get a leader of the franchise and went for it. Good for them.

Sorry. Diarrhea of the mouth and thinking out loud. Until this franchise commits to building an offense and getting a franchise quarterback we deserve to be picking on the top 5 every year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

What Petty has vs Hack is his development...Petty looks more comfortable and poised and has a great arm. Much more possible of showing he can be the guy. Hack won't have it this year....he's got tools but not the mental down and accuracy is still questionable.
    Ultimately time is ticking...because if these guys to improve dramatically by the end of the year they will both be an afterthought with a QB rich draft.
    I think Petty has the best chance of making it...slim but a chance.

NCJetsfan likes this.