Petty FINALLY getting some respect..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Taken from today's NYDN: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...y-earned-jets-backup-qb-job-article-1.3459221

Its about damn time someone recognized this kid has talent enough to start for this Qb challenged team. The real question is will Macc man up, swallow his pride and give Petty the same opportunities that Hack has had so far.

2018 is Petty's walk year. If they continue to fuck over the kid, I hope he gets outta here and haunts the Jets the rest of his career. I'd like to think the FO/CS will do the right thing for the franchise instead of themselves.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great post! Thanks for sharing it. It's truly surprising that it was in the Daily Schnooze. They never have anything good to say about the Jets or any of their players.

I especially want to point out a few stats to those know-it-alls who said that Petty was a bust and should be released, or at best a backup QB:

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

"He is an endearing nuisance, a relentless annoyance and a guy who evidently just hasn’t gotten the hint."

[​IMG]

4. Cman68

another Manish hater I see... :)

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I like Petty, but some fans forget 2016 happened. He was a train wreck as a starter. All the things people insult Hackenberg about, Petty did too. He can't read defenses, can't pick up blitzes, or assign the OL to block, etc. The main difference I have seen between Hack and Petty, is Petty is a likable guy. He has a great attitude and clear leadership ability. Not saying Hack doesn't, I just have not seen it as much. He always looks scared, worried, or confused. Petty doesn't.

Jets69, egelband and legler82 like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The important thing is that Petty did those things LAST YEAR, NOT this year!! He was still learning, had an injury early and missed a chunk of TC, preseason and early in the season, missing a month of practices altogether. Then he was thrust into the starting lineup with practically no prep or practice. It's not like he had hungry players busting their buts around him last year as he has this year, either. Last year Marshall had quit on the team. The only TE worth a darn was the out of shape ASJ. He basically had one WR to throw to, Robbie Anderson.

7. Cman68

People also forget that last year's oline absolutely sucked and the team itself had already quit on the season by the time Petty got the ball. Once Fitz got pulled, the entire offense just said fck it and simply showed up every week for their game check. Couple that with Gailey calling his 90's era game plan which usually meant bombs away OR all run and you wound up with the clusterfuck that was 2016. Too much was working against Petty last year but the watershed moment for me was when he actually survived the Suh/Wake sandwich. Not only did it prove Petty is as tough as they come, it should have also sounded the alarm for this FO/CS to address the oline and offensive personnel in general. Too bad they didn't but that didn't stop Petty from becoming a better Qb. Even when that clumsy Olinesman rolled on him,he still wanted to play on one leg if necessary.

My point you ask? Sometimes the thing you want most is right under your nose. 2018 isn't that far off and if they continue to fuck Petty over so that Macc can say he didn't fuck up by drafting Hack when he did, this team will regret it as much as they did by not drafting Marino or Warren Sapp.

8. dman928

dman928 Well-Known Member

You just have to watch for 10 minutes to see he's better than Hack. He's also improved quite a bit from last year. He was consistently going through his progressions and not just locking on to his primary receiver. That's a huge deal, and has been overlooked. He has been mobile in the pocket, and senses pressure better than Hackenberg.

9. I think the difference is Hack went in the 2nd round as a perceived reach after the team passed on Paxton Lynch in round 1.

Also Hack played for a school w a much bigger following at least within the Jets fan base. If petty was taken that early or a perceived consolation prize to passing on a 1st round QB it'd be the same deal. Everyone had an opinion about Hack heading into that draft..Petty had his fans but not even in the same stratosphere

I'm with you about Petty.I actually like him as a backup bc you know what your getting from him,he's even keeled,down to earth & can make every throw.

I have yet to see him show command of the offense & he's never striked me as a field general which we desperately need.Im willing to let him get the #2 nod bc he's earned it but call me skeptical pertaining to annointing him for making a few good throws in his 3rd season against preseason scrubs.Hope I'm wrong

egelband and The Dark Knight like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am with you and @NCJetsfan on all of that stuff. Especially in a "rebuild" or "tank" year, I would have much rather have had a 2 man race between Petty and Hackenberg. Petty should have been given more reps obviously. Where I disagree, is throwing Hack under the bus. He is in a terrible situation too. Experience wise alone I would make Petty the back-up. If McCown gets hurt, Petty can jump in and lead the offense. It should be a common sense decision, but we know with this staff it never is.

egelband likes this.
  11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think 2 things were clear this preseason:

1) Petty outplayed Hack

2) Hack is not ready to play, not even close

Petty should be the backup, and should take over at some point provided he keeps showing positive signs in practice.
    Listing Hack as the backup would be bullshite.

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Getting respect from Manish is like being rewarded for a great deed or achievement by having a girder inserted into your anus.

jetsclaps, Jets69, Mogriffjr and 7 others like this.
  13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Don't be petty in those remarks Bryce...Tell it like it is...

"He is an endearing piece of dog shit, a relentless annoyance to mankind and a guy who evidently just hasn’t gotten the hint that he fucking sucks at life."

ajax, Chrisiue and The Dark Knight like this.
  14. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

Petty not only has consistently improved since he was drafted but he shows a non stop want attitude to be a success, he has the initiative and hunger that a team of young kids need to see from a starting QB whether he has a rep for good talent or not.
    Do I think Petty will make anybody say we don't need a QB in the upcoming draft, highly unlikely, but he will prove to be an example of how to attempt to play when given a shot.
    Hack looking like a deer in a headlight testing factory will do nothing for these kids.
    Petty was playing with a team of what's the sense at this point, you can't grade him on it.

15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Plus look who the offensive coordinator was last year Gailey. Dude was either drunk or asleep in the booth.

16. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Petty Stats:
    2015 pre-season 27/45 (60%) 260 yards 1 TD, 0 INT's
    2016 pre-season: 32/56 (57%) 481 yards 3 TD's 1 INT (pick 6)
    2016 regular season: 75/133 (56%) 809 yards 3 TD's 7 INT's
    2017 pre-season: 32/48 (67%) 426 yards 3 TD's 1 INT

Hack Stats:
    2016 pre-season: 17/47 (36%!!!) 159 yards 1 TD 0 INT's
    2017 pre-season: 42/74 (57%) 372 yards 2 TD's, 2 INT's (2 pick 6's)

1) So from a statistical standpoint, Hack's best is Petty's worst. Petty's 2nd pre-season stats were better than Hack's, though Hack has improved from his first year. The ominous thing seen with Hack was he was given alot of reps this preseason, and his first quarter was better than his last quarter. Or at least he didnt improve as the pre-season progressed.

2) Even though Hack came from a pro-style system and Petty came from a trick Baylor spread system, and you would assume that Hack has the edge in football IQ, it is Petty that has adopted and learned the West Coast offense quickly. This is now his second pro offensive coordinator, and he has improved every year.

3) I find it interesting that Petty's 2016 completion percentage during the preseason and the regular season were roughly the same (56-57%.) If he does the same this year and maintains a mid 60% completion percentage (a BIG IF I know) AND protects the football, then the Jets will have found their franchise QB. Its as simple as that.

4) I am more convinced than ever that the Jets owe it to themselves to solidify the OL in the first few games, then hand the job over to Petty. They need to see if Petty can be a starter this year.

MDJets and egelband like this.
  17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Then why don't you give hack a pass as still learning?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jets69 likes this.
  18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Hack also is playing on a worse team with less experience. Its like apples to oranges at this point. I would hope Petty is ahead of Hack, if he isnt, he shouldnt be here.

Before we know about any if these guys, they gotra fix the oline tho.

Jets69 likes this.
  19. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

True but Hack played primarily with the starters, and often against opponents 2nd team defenses. Last pre-season Petty was behind Geno and played with the camp fodder.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah exactly, hack did nothing last season and came in with starting defense. Its lile going zero to 100. Petty had the benefit of playing weaker competition most this preseason. Regardless tho, not knocking either, you just really cant compare the 2 at this point and the coaches know this.

It was never about hack wining the starting job, he woulda had to have been the second coming of Brady. It was always going to he McCown and petty as 1 & 2 respectively. Honestly, until that line gets some support, they will never know what they have in either.