Petty and Hackenberg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Section 336, Jan 26, 2018.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I liked Watson as a prospect because the guy is a winner and the Jets need(ed) more winners.

That being said, I have to draw career comparisons to Robert Griffin III.

Griffin had better collegiate numbers and very similar stats to Watson in the NFL. Griffin was never the same again after the SAME injury. I know Watson isn't the "scrambler" Griffin was, but who knows how this guy is going to bounce back.

Additionally, 5 of 7 Watson's games were inside. The two outdoor games were in September. I am not convinced yet his arm won't be a problem for him.

These QBs typically regress year two and if they don't bounce back, they are not starting under center by year 4.

If I'm going put a knock on Maccagnan for not taking Watson (while the jury is out) am I going to give Maccagnan credit for avoiding him due to the knee injury? Of course not...because it's too early.

TonyFtLaud, NCJetsfan and Peebag like this.
  2. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Yep. Way too early to judge whether Watson is a good pick up.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I'm not knocking Mac for passing on Watson, as a matter of fact, I don't believe Mac is good enough to fix the jets QB problems.

The Texans obviously have a better criteria for selecting a QB other than, tall with strong arm.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I got you.

A lot of people around here do though.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. When a team drafts a QB in the 1st round, he IS the guy. You don't draft a QB in the 1st round to "compete" with another QB taken in a lower round. They may have still worked to develop Hack, but unless the QB they drafted in the 1st round immediately proved to be a bust, he would have received the majority of the snaps in OTAs, TC and preseason, and Hack the scraps. The perception is that the team has given up on the QB taken in the lower round earlier.

6. NCJetsfan

In theory, your reasoning is sound. The problem is that in practice, Hack isn't really a vet. He may know the offense, but what good has it done him? He hasn't seen the playing field during the regular season. Even if he did, could he hit the ocean? Would you want to see Hack on the field?

Then again, if Bridgewater was penciled in as the starter and was still recovering when the season started, it would be better to throw Hack to the wolves than the rookie, if the rookie wasn't ready. Petty should be gone by now. I can understand holding onto Hack at least during TC. If the Jets don't have to trade up to get the QB they want, I'm hoping that the Jets will draft 2 QBs, one at #6 and another in the 3rd or 4th round. Then let all 4 QBs compete: the veteran they sign, the 2 rookies, and Hack. Loser is cut (or goes to the PS if it's one of the rookies). If they plan on only drafting one QB, then I'd rather they sign McCown and Bridgewater and cut Hack.

7. NCJetsfan

Red, I agree with you regarding not putting young QBs in the HOF after only a few games. I'd still hold off on Watson. He has looked good in Houston, but that's with a HC who knows offense and how to work with and develop QBs. Remember a QB named Rick Mirer? He looked really good his rookie season too, but it was all downhill after that. Let's see how Watson looks once every team in the league has seen film and had a chance to play against him. He has the smarts, but does he have the arm?

I saw Watson play a LOT at Clemson. In fact almost every game. He had bad games, started slow, and his ball placement/accuracy was not that good at Clemson. He had some great receivers who went up and caught balls or who dove for them. I don't think he would have been successful at all with the Jets, both due to our CS and the winds in the Meadowlands in Nov.-Jan.

Agree with GQMartin's and your point regarding our CS and revolving door at OC.

#47 NCJetsfan, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Red Menace likes this.
  8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Pat Mahomes
    Post by: legler82, Mar 3, 2017 in forum: Draft

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Nobody has said "Put Watson in the HOF". But I do think it was a big mistake for Macc to pass on Watson and Mahomes last year. I believe both will prove to be better than all but possibly Rosen out of this draft. For those who say Watson's arm speed is too low for NY, I would counter that by pointing out that he's a winner and has proven to do whatever it takes to win, and he would find a way to adjust/compensate for whatever conditions he's in. Sure, I could be wrong, but in the final analysis Watson is miles better than anyone the Jets had on the roster.

10. NCJetsfan

Mahomes I can agree with you on, Watson, no way. I'm sorry but just because a player is smart or a gamer doesn't mean that he can find a way to adjust/compensate for whatever conditions he's in. In a strong wind and the Jets behind with little time in the game, the Jets would lose with Watson at QB something like 97-99 times out of a 100. Even Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady can't find a way to compensate, come back and win sometimes

11. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

If Watson is an elite QB in optimal conditions then you renovate your stadium to fit his needs, invest in a retractable roof that goes up just for jet games, don't even think about letting weather be a factor, I don't care how much it would cost, you make it happen.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

dude, no more madden for a while,ok?

Cman68 likes this.
  13. 6-10 once again

If you find a potential franchise QB then you better give him every chance to succeed, money is no object to the johnsons so there is no excuse to not spend millions upon millions of dollars to help your team win, if you draft mayfield and don't build a retractable roof then you aren't trying to win and need to be tarred and feathered on the spot.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, nobody is building anything for the Jets for at least another 2 decades so you can just fugetaboutit. We'll be playing in the Big Air Conditioner for the foreseeable future. We do have an owner with money, but he has no strategic vision as to how to use that money. Its not like Woody hasn't spent the cash. I think the reality of the Jets is that until they get a true vision of what it takes to build a winner in the modern NFL era, things are gonna look like just like they do now so either get used to it, or walk away from it. The choice as always is yours..

#54 Cman68, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    nicg4360 and Red Menace like this.
  15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

You sir are excellent at finding ways to spend hundreds of millions of dollars of other peoples money for your own gains. Have you ever thought about a career in politics?

HomeoftheJets, FJF and Cman68 like this.
  16. 6-10 once again

I wouldn't say it's for my gain as much as it is for the jets fans gain, but the jets don't care about their fans so I guess it's a moot point.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Can we hire Pete Prisco...????? Obviously was right on target with this suggestion..

Oh wait..Toilet Bowles wanted his 2 Safeties...dummy

This is just SAD...I am outa here if we DONT draft a QB

18. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Does anybody remember the season ending interview Mac gave?
    He believes Quackenberg is still developing to be a QB on this team for the future.
    He may never get in a game, but he will probably be here as long as Mac is.
    I just cannot come to terms with Mac.
    How in the hell could he justify taking him in round 2, when he was obviously a late late round or UFA.
    You would think GM's in the NFL could see talent and the overall caliber of a player better than the fans atleast.
    Hack was a joke at Penn State.
    Worst part is, we are 2 years in, he hasn't even taken an NFL snap, probably never will. Mac says there is progression taking place with Hack, which means he still has hope.
    Even Hack's fans on this board see the light, so it means that Mac is stubborn as well as a bad judge of player evaluations.
    I would love to know what kind of progression he was referring to.
    Can he hold the clipboard, and chew gum at the same time now?
    Maybe Mac has a big plan in place for draft day.... He must be going to trade Hack to O'Brien and the Texans for their 1st rounder.
    Hahahaha,
    We can only hope that Mac is the ultimate genius who sees what we can't. Hack turning into Marino by August, leading this roster into the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl, while claiming the ultimate QB title as our Franchise Quarterback.
    Wow.
    Are there any Hack supporters left on this board?

19. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

The thought that Mac would pass on a QB this year because he believes in Hack is giving me an ulcer. I can't take it.

tbruner12 likes this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

fyp, not sure why you think bowles drafts the players