Petty and Hackenberg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Section 336, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I think we all know about these 2 qbs now, so not breaking news, but I was listening to my local sports radio down here in NC. Every Friday they have on Steve Logan who was the head coach at ECU for 10 years, but also coached in the NFL for Tampa and the 49ers. If you don't know him he is a little bit of a redneck and is quite a character, but tells it like it is more so than just about any sports commentator I know.

Somehow the conversation went to the Jets QBs and he talked about what he saw as he said he watched all the tape graded out both of them.

Bryce Petty - Great arm, but in all of his tape I didn't see a single NFL route run by a receiver. It was all bubble screens and something I didn't catch, no corner routes, sideline outs, seam passes. His bottom line was there was no way anyone could have any real indication he could play at the next level as he did nothing in college that translated to the NFL game.

Christian Hackenberg - I remember writing down when watching the film "When is this guy going to throw a completion"

Basically he couldn't understand what the hell the Jets were doing drafting these guys.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You and me both Steve, you and me both.

xxedge72x likes this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I don't understand why they haven't been cut yet. I know they're cheap, but they're dead weight too especially if we draft a QB high. Now if we do our usual and draft an afterthought QB in the lower rounds, I can see Macc trying to salvage Hackenberg and his reputation. Petty is a goner and should be several thousand miles southwest of PA by now.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Mac doesn’t wanna admit a mistake bc he knows how crucial getting QB fixed is to his overall body of work

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Because the shortage of qbs makes these guys viable options to bring to camp. These guys fill slots and until they have replacements and while the jets are not saving anything by releasing them they will remain on the roster. It’s January, no one is being released right now.
    I wouldn’t expect either cut before the draft

6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

They're going to try and trade them for a pile of top draft picks? :)

NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Also, even though everyone knows the Jets desperately need a QB, there's no reason for them to completely turn their hand over before FA and draft.

LF911SC likes this.
  8. LF911SC

It's would very scary if he thought either could be fixed. Pretty as a low pick is no big deal. Hurts no one's rep.

boozer32 likes this.
  9. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

So you've finally come to terms that Petty is garbage?

10. I agree w you about Petty but some don’t.The void at QB or the perception of one is so extreme that any QB drafted by this team regardless of round will have a certain level of scrutiny associated w it.Mac knows this

boozer32 likes this.
  11. LF911SC

Oh, I get that is the 2018 perception but when Petty was drafted I don't think many thought it was to be the next starting QB here.

I do think Macc was trying to catch lightning in a bottle with Hack. He was hoping against hope that thr 18 year old, freshman performance at PSU was what he was getting and that it was worth the risk of a 2nd round pick.

#11 LF911SC, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    jcass10 and Murrell2878 like this.
  12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I agree with the poster that said them still being on the roster is just Mac's way of trying to hide his huge mistakes and delaying the inevitable. They should both be cut before next season as they have no real future in the pros.

#12 JetsNation06, Jan 27, 2018
    NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. Cman68

Quite a while ago. You must have missed it.

14. Cman68

Why not? They've already turned over their OCS before FA and the draft. No real reason to keep either kid on the roster except to try and save face for Macc regarding Hackenberg.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

The Petty pick was OK. Any QB drafted in the fourth round is a lottery ticket. Obviously if he was a better prospect he wouldnt be available at that point in the draft.

The Hackenberg pick on the other hand was terrible and was one of the worst selections in NFL draft history.

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Why the Saturday morning insight Solid?.,,I mean ..ain't it about time ?

I certainly don't need some Tarheel football coach to tell myself and 10 other people the Jets GM has not picked a winner at QB

But if you more comfortable hearing the the Truth from one of your good ole boys then it's all good

While yer at it ask him what he thinks of Kirk Cousins...heheheh

Visited my sister once in Greensboro..beautiful mountains and hills..lady at the market said it was "Gods Country"...true that

17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I believe that is the same reason he passed on Deshaun Watson last April, which makes the Christian Hackenberg 2nd rd reach even more of a mistake. All we can hope for is we are completely wrong about Hackenberg, or Mac finally finds a fqb in his 4th off-season with the Jets.

#17 playtowinthegame, Jan 27, 2018
  18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This is exactly why. Rookie contract, and frankly, what bum are you going to pick up off the street that is more effective? They may be a flaming trash can of poo, but at least they offer "potential" and knowledge of the Jets scheme/system and personnel. Short of a lottery ticket you likely won't get that from any random dude who can throw a football.

They will provide us with an absolutely riveting battle for the third QB spot this year.

19. LF911SC

So you think that drafting Watson, having him show what he showed in Houston would have HURT Macc's reputation? Somehow by missing on a QB makes his 2nd round pick up go away?

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hackenberg looks like an NFL QB up close. He just can't complete enough passes to get on the field.

I'm hoping that the Jets and Macc have learned something from their attempts to develop Hack and that they evaluate Josh Allen with those failures in mind.

NCJetsfan likes this.