Pettine speaks about Rhodes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rinvesto, May 19, 2010.

1. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine didn't use the words "good riddance" to describe his feelings for departed safety Kerry Rhodes, but the message was clear: Pettine sure isn't experiencing any separation pangs.

Pettine, who clashed last season with Rhodes, believes free-agent acquisition Brodney Pool is an upgrade at safety. He said Pool is more coachable and more physical than Rhodes, who was benched for two games last season because, well, the staff felt he resisted coaching and wasn't physical enough.

Wait, there's more: Pettine also addressed Rhodes' parting shots at the Jets' coaching staff, claiming the veteran safety was off base by suggesting the coaches tailored the defense around the ex-Ravens they once coached in Baltimore -- namely safety Jim Leonhard and linebacker Bart Scott.

William Perlman/The Star Ledger/US Presswire
    Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine says Kerry Rhodes was not a good fit for the Jets' defense.

"When I saw what he said, it was puzzling because it didn't make sense," Pettine told ESPNNewYork.com, commenting for the first time on Rhodes' remarks. "The guys here before" -- a reference to holdovers such as Darrelle Revis and David Harris -- "played some of their best football. The fact that we accomplished what we accomplished, using a new system ... I don't know. There were some issues there I can't speak on."

The Jets traded Rhodes to the Arizona Cardinals in March, signing Pool -- a Cleveland Browns castoff -- to a one-year, $1.3 million contract. Pettine praised Pool for his willingness to learn the Jets' system, an indirect shot at Rhodes.

"Brodney has humbled himself," Pettine said. "He understands that, 'Hey, I don't know the defense. This defense has done well. I'm just part of it.' Some of the issues with Kerry were off-the-field stuff. Buying in, I think he struggled with that. Some of the comments he made after he left were kind of indicative of how he felt, that we brought guys up from Baltimore and we leaned too heavily on them. Of course we were going to lean on guys who know the system. That's the whole point for bringing them in. There were some struggles there that we won't have with Brodney."

The Jets didn't have to dig deep to cull information on Pool. The Browns' defensive coordinator is Rob Ryan, Rex's twin brother. Their secondary coach is Jerome Henderson, who held the same position for the Jets early in Rhodes' career.

Here is Pettine's early scouting report on Pool, who will compete with Eric Smith for the starting job: "Brodney will play the run better [than Rhodes]. I think he's a better tackler. I think he'll stick his face in there more than Kerry."

In terms of pass coverage, Pool and Rhodes are "very similar," Pettine said. "They're both rangy guys, good athletes."

Jets blog
    Looking for more information on the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

The major concern with Pool is that he reportedly has suffered four concussions in his career, the main reason the Browns decided to cut bait after five seasons. He was off to a terrific start last season, with four interceptions in 11 games, but his season was ruined by another head injury.

A safety with a concussion issue is nothing to take lightly, considering the amount of head-on collisions, but there could be a story behind the story. Before signing Pool, the Jets' doctors examined Pool and determined that some of the so-called concussions were actually migraine headaches, according to Pettine.

"The biggest issue is, were they concussions or were they migraines?" Pettine said. "Our doctors looked at him and felt there were fewer concussions and a few more migraines."

As far as the Jets are concerned, the real headache was Pool's predecessor.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com. Follow him on Twitter.

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Time to move on really.

But the writers need something to write about I guess.

3. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Yeah news is slow. I can't wait until the season starts and I can stop hearing about Kerry Rhodes.

4. Chip Chipperson

Chip Chipperson New Member

Has there ever been a less heralded Defensive Coordinator of the Number 1 ranked Defense in the NFL than Mike Pettine? I am just as guilty of this as anyone else, but we all seem to give all the credit to Rex. But think about it, Pettine was the DC of the best defense in the NFL as a rookie and he gets zero credit. One of the things I really looking forward to with Hard Knocks is a little insight into the Ryan Pettine dynamic and how it plays out in defensive meetings and practice. Is Pettine a figure head or is he very underappreciated?

5. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

I like Pool, I just hope he can stay healthy and get a handle on those migraine/concussion thingys.

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Who's Kerry Rhodes and why is he saying things about the Jets?

7. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

I think he's an NBA player entering the draft.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRSV9OvBtss[/YOUTUBE]

8. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Wow. I think this is really a pretty cool post/article. I mean, we all knew/suspected this was the deal with Kerry, but for the DC to come out and basically call him an asshole--delusional, afraid to hit, and uncoachable--is refreshing in it's honesty and candor. I like Pettine.

9. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Pettine doesn't call plays, that why he's not as heralded as some of the coordinators around the league. He stills knows football and is instrumental in gameplanning

10. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Breaking news!!!! Kerry rhodes is a pussy!

11. Hennessy2710

Hennessy2710 New Member

When Kerry Rhodes plays his game and remains concentrated hes dangerous.......when

12. 624

624 Banned

13. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Under those circumstances, I would describe him as "valuable" and "very talented," but I don't think I have ever thought of him, nor will I ever think of him, as "dangerous."

14. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Brodney Pool looks exactly like Tavon from the Shield