Peter King on the Jets-Colt trade.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AlexJETS, Mar 19, 2018.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

They definitely have angles, and they are not wrong, from a logical standpoint. Like I posted in other threads: the Jets did not want to do this. They wanted Cousins and to use their picks on other positions. That was Plan A and it was a good one. Cousins said no so the Jets had to do this. They want a QB. Can't blame them for that.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Actually, if Albert Breer is correct, drafting a QB was plan A. When Cousins became available, he became plan A and drafting a QB shifted to Plan B, but once he turned them down, drafting a QB reverted to Plan A. :D

3. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

& that makes sense. Getting a QB is a must. If the draft came before free agency, trading up would've been plan A. Had we tanked properly, this would've been a non-issue.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Both Teddy and McCown are injury-prone.

Remember the season of 4 QB's in 2005? Chad, Fiedler, Vinny and then Brooks Bollinger in over his head with no more protection than the rest of them had.

I expect the rookie the Jets draft to start the season unless it's Allen.

5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It’s a good move for both sides. A true football trade. Maybe after McDaniels stiffed them they didn’t mind helping us a bit too ;)

Now Mac needs to make the pick and get it right. I’m hoping for Allen but either one of the 4 I’d be happy with

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Is Teddy really injury prone? He had a freak injury in practice right before the 2016 started and hasn't played a meaningful snap in over 2 years. No other injuries AFAIK. If he's healthy, I expect him to compete for the starting job in week 1. If the rookie is Allen or Darnold, I expect one of the vets to be the starter to begin the season.

7. NCJetsfan

Teddy isn't injury prone. That's not true. He's coming off a brutal injury and may not be healthy, but it's false to say that he is injury prone. The Vikes' starter went down Teddy's rookie season in the 3rd game. Teddy finished that game, started every game the rest of that season and all 16 games in 2015, then was injured in the 1st game of the 2016 season. McCown isn't as injury prone as was stated last year, either. He made it through most of last season.

If Mac sticks to his guns, that won't happen (the rookie starting). With the shape of the OL, I'm not sure I'd want the rookie to start even if he wins the job hands down. I'd rather let McCown take a beating for the first 3-4 games if the OL hasn't gelled. That might also help get rid of Bowles, if he starts McCown again over Teddy or the rookie.

In addition, if they're going to find out about Teddy, and have any idea of whether they want to keep him or try to get a pick or picks in return for him, he's going to have to play a pretty good bit next season. I'd be very happy with Teddy starting the entire season and letting the rookie perhaps get some mop up action.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

4 years later from that draft that ruined the Jets. If Teddy is healthy he will prove the fans wrong. Going back to 2014, fans said he wasn't good enough to start and be durable. He suffered a crazy non-contact drill in practice, just a random injury all together. If Fitz and McCown can have career years, why can't Teddy?

Why disrespect him, by comparing him to that garbage in Brooks and over the hill Vinny?

9. "My Favorite" is Martin

Funny that you bring up that RG3 trade. After RG3's rookie season, people were ripping the Rams for passing on him. Now people say the Rams fleeced the Redskins. It is just going to come down to whether or not our pick is a bust.

Personally, regardless of the outcome, I like the initiative taken by the Jets to move up for one of what they feel are the top 3 guys.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Any serious knee injury creates an injury-prone situation for the player in question. Teddy's injury was as bad as they come and I think he will be playing under the cloud of his career potentially ending on any play for several seasons at least.

11. NCJetsfan

I agree that the question will linger over him, but that's still not the same thing as being "injury prone."

12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

This is the popular evaluation of RGIII. However, I saw an interview with Mike Shanahan which sheds a different light on RGIII. In his rookie year, RGIII was a very successful run, pass, option (RPO) quarterback. After he got hurt, RGIII, supported by his parents insisted that he become a drop back passer after he recovered. Shanahan said he wasn't ready to make that transition from one to the other in one season. He suggested RGIII stay with RPO while they slowly work in a transition to drop back which he said would take a few seasons. RGIII, however. insisted he could make the transition instantly and the rest is history. Of course, this is one side of the story, but if true, it's a case where injury, circumstance and ego combine to derail a promising career, and doesn't fit the classic definition of a bust.

Sorry if it's a little off topic but I thought it was an interesting alternative to a popular viewpoint.

#32 westiedog1, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    CotcheryFan and NCJetsfan like this.