Pepper Johnson totally trashed Jets management and ownership

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Aug 31, 2018.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2018/08/31/i-was-made-scapegoat-ex-coach-blasts-jets-in-blistering-interview/

"The former Giants/Jets linebacker, who spent two seasons (2015-16) as the Jets’ defensive line coach, unleashed a wave of criticism upon the team that fired him, calling out the Jets for their culture, conflicting philosophies and consistently poor management, while offering individual rebukes for owner Woody Johnson, general manager Mike Maccagnan, coach Todd Bowles and defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers, during a lengthy Q-and-A with Deadspin."

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nice take on things...

Pepper a bit Salty over his pink slip but pretty much nailed it bout the whole org.

Johnsons a phony..not hard to see that. He always struck me as a guy more interested in his model airplanes and stamp collection than the Jets..smh

Take away this Sam euphoria whatcha got??

3. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bitter man to me.

No one likes to be fired. In this case it was his last job in this industry and after 17 years couldn't get a co-ordinator job and is out the league.

Trashing coaches (bosses) ain't going to get you hired again

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Sounds like a lot of ego going on, both with Pepper and Rodgers.
    Also sounds like Pepper was a little difficult to work with.

All that said, I've got my doubts about Rodgers and hope this is his last season short of the D massively improving.
    I'd actually like Bowles more involved in the D.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That was a fight Johnson could never win because Kacy is Todd's BFF.

joe, FlaJet, CBG and 2 others like this.
  6. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

Sounds like the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I can see Bowles being a neutral influence, and there's a reason nobody truly wants to come play here and that is woody.

And, pepper seems like a giant pain in the ass to work with. Fuck em all, tbh

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The comments about Woody fall in the "water is wet" category. As to the rest, it seems pretty clear that he credits himself for anything good that happened on the DL in 2015 and blames everyone else for anything bad that happened in 2016, which certainly isn't going to get you hired anywhere in 2018 or beyond. And while I think Rodgers is a total incompetent, the fact is that he was the defensive coordinator, which means he has every right to tell you how to coach your guys if he's not happy with what is going on. It's called being the boss.

The Jets were 5-11 in 2016 with Pepper Johnson as a coach, and they were 5-11 in 2017 without him as a coach, so I don't think anyone is blaming him for their troubles at this point.

NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Who wants to wake up after surgery to have Woody Johnson staring at you anyway? I wouldn't!

We know what we said about Woody Johnson is true. We know what he said about Mo is true. Many of us are not fans of Bowles and especially not Rodgers, but still it is ridiculous to be that salty in an interview. I honestly forgot he existed or was a player/coach on the Jets. After 2016 the entire staff needed to be fired though, including Bowles. It was one of the most pathetic teams I have ever seen. So to be shocked by getting fired shows how delusional he is. Not wanting Leo at #6 overall is crazy too.

9. I remember this guy either outright going on record or being outed as a inside source bashing the team during that embarassing meltdown in 16.

Based on his quotes im more pissed off that this clown was ever hired as DL coach to begin with. He didnt have to take the job if h didnt like Bowles,Rogers or the phiosophy. Talk about an ego for a stinking assistant coach.

And really?Slighted cause the owner didnt name drop the DL coach on gameday?? I KNOW woody is clueless but seems like an awfully petty criticism

Not a big fan of this regime at all.Not a big fan of Woody either.But i place 0 fault on them for this crap.Sour grapes from being fired over 2 years ago w. Obvious ego issues is just petty & small.Maybe vince mcmahon can make him an equipment manager

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

In 2015, our DL consisted of Wilkerson, Harrison, Richardson, Leo, and Douzable.

I don't care what system we were running, we should have excelled.
    No excuses with that much talent.
    Pepper trying to pass blame on others is a little weak.

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

F, Pepper. Seriously.

NY Jets68 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

him saying Bowles refused to even discuss different defensive fronts doesn't surprise me.

him saying Bowles really never gave a shit about anything if is wasn't something 'he' invented doesn't surprise me.

FlaJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Fired ex employee rips former employer.
    Color me shocked!

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Rodgers is trash.

NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  15. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Deadspin itself is utter trash. Pepper Johnson himself is an atrocious coach (heard this myself through various sources) and was basically just a Belichick gofer during his tenure in New England doing very little actual coaching.

That said I don't like Bowles or Rodgers and neither should be here, but they are a cut above stooges like Pepper Johnson who everybody in the NFL knows was employed by New England because Belichick feels like he needs to keep him employed as a buddy and feels bad for him

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Prefer Salt.

17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Lmao

This is so dumb

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Pepper is salty.

HomeoftheJets and forevercursed like this.
  19. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

btw Pepper Johnson has not coached anywhere since we fired his sorry ass. And now you see why

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member